Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Okay...just for kicks. Yesterday, after I posted in this thread, out of curiousity I removed my 680 from the charger and took the SIM out. That was at 9:00am and the battery was at 99%. I just looked at it now, 10:00pm and it's at 89%.

Meanwhile, my 650, which usually lasts almost three days without needing a charge has red-lined three times since putting the SIM into it. I've only checked my e-mail three or four times and used the phone five or six... This is the second time this has happened...
    OK, DIG...I am here at 9:08pm CST, and my Treo is at 15% charge after a full (very full) day of calls and lots of email. I am going to wait tonight until it shuts down (hope I can stay awake... ) and I'm going to plug it in and do a full, overnight charge. I am hoping that my meter will register 100% when I unplug it from the charger tomorrow morning.

Do I have to do anything else, like do the battery/SIM in-out shuffle or anything?

Christina...did you say you have done this twice, and had major results?
  3.    #23  
    No need to let it run down slowly. Put bejewelled on (if you have it) or do something to keep the power draining faster with the screen on and it will run down pretty quickly. Watch for when it hits 0%, and see how long after that it takes to shut down. Then plug it in. This is all I think you should need to do to calibrate the battery meter. Registering 100% off the charger appears to be a different matter that is not related to battery meter calibration. This is a real reading, and seems like the charger simply does not maintain the charge at 100%. It will reach 100, but then slowly start to decline. The amount it declines by appears to correlate with the amount of time that passes after it hits 100%. If you were watching for when the light goes green, and then unplugged it, I think you will find it stays at 99%.

You can try the sim in/out shuffle if you want, but I dont think it is necessary and it will only make it harder to know which thing worked (if you get an improvement), so I suggest you keep it as simple as you can. MDavis can give you a good run down on the history of the SIM in/out shuffle and its direct association with kidney theft. Dialysis is no fun, so I suggest keeping your SIM in.
    No games to run, but have been browsing the web a little to "force" it to die. I'm at 6% and falling fast...

I'll report my experience...but I'm really hoping this will improve things a great deal.

BTW...guess I'm not sharp enough tonight to understand the stuff about the SIM shuffle and kidney failure...can you elaborate DIG?
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by davistld01 View Post
    No games to run, but have been browsing the web a little to "force" it to die. I'm at 6% and falling fast...

I'll report my experience...but I'm really hoping this will improve things a great deal.

BTW...guess I'm not sharp enough tonight to understand the stuff about the SIM shuffle and kidney failure...can you elaborate DIG?
    Sorry - probably a bit too cryptic unless you were following an earlier thread that went a bit off track. It's not important and probably not worth knowing.

I also hope it improves things for you. It sounds like you are getting reasonable performance anyway, so the difference may not be huge. If it doesnt make any difference, then your battery meter is probably already calibrated. If you have ever inadvertently had your 680 run down till it actually died, then this is likely, but i think lots of people tend to turn it off and give up when it approaches or hits 0%.
  6.    #26  
    By the way, try to note the percent drop per hour from now until it dies, including the time take between 0% and death (for want of a better word).
    Christina...did you say you have done this twice, and had major results?
    I did do this twice and have had a significant increase in my battery life, but I also did the SIM trick and the Camera Update. I can honestly say, now that I think back, that after the SIM "trick" the battery increase, if any, was minimal. I do think the meter calibration was needed...

Quote Originally Posted by DIG View Post
    Sorry - probably a bit too cryptic unless you were following an earlier thread that went a bit off track. It's not important and probably not worth knowing.
    I understood it
  8.    #28  
    I think you are probably right. I havent really seen anyone provide a good reason for why the SIM in/out trick should work.

As for the link to dialysis bit - I must have been in need of a break when I wrote that bit, but very impressed that you got it. I barely did.
    I think you are probably right. I havent really seen anyone provide a good reason for why the SIM in/out trick should work.

As for the link to dialysis bit - I must have been in need of a break when I wrote that bit, but very impressed that you got it. I barely did.
    I think knowing the history of the ongoing "battery drain theory" debate helps...

BTW...My 680 battery is now at 87% after 48 hours of non-use.
  10.    #30  
    Struth! Is that with phone radio on? Roughly 0.25% per hour. Is that better than usual for you?
    No...the radio is not on. I want to see how long it takes the battery to drain without the radio on, out of curiousity . I'm just using PIM functions...no internet, no calls. Like I said earlier, the 650 is draining at a much more rapid rate than normal with the SIM card I'm using. I never used this SIM in the 650 before getting the 680. With my old SIM, same battery I can get three days of heavy usage without needing to charge. Now, I'm not even making it through the day...
    My God! It was nearly 3:00 this morning when my phone "beeped" and officially went into a coma this morning beside my bed! I woke up, and plugged it in. It went nearly four hours registering 4%...and showing no charge on the meter at all. Clearly, the meter did need calibration.

At 7:00am the green light was on, and I unplugged it...and it registered an all-time high of 99%. My highest up until then had been 94%...so some improvement in the meter anyway.

I will monitor it and see what the improvement is, if any, today into tonight. I would LOVE to get 80+% charge after 48-hours like Christina...or anything even close to that. But then, I am using the phone functions and not just the PDA ones.
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    I got my phone 3 weeks ago. Right out of the box, I charged my phone. I noticed it was 94% charged. I had read the battery problems on this forum and also checked my S/N on Palm's site to see if I needed the Camera patch. I didn't need it so I didn't download it. I knew the battery life on this phone didn't last for long but 94% charged bothered me so I did the battery chicken dance but I didn't wait for the battery to drain completely to do this. Once I put back the SIM card and battery, the meter read 99% and has been since. I also noticed that my beam function didn't work unless I turned off the GSM radio. So the beam IR isn't on all the time, for me that is, since it works for others. I think I'm a moderate phone user - most calls to my husband and family members (my sister and I would call while we're on our commute - she in Washington state, me in SF) and I charge my phone every night. But this may change soon since Softick's A2DP lastest build is now working on my 680 and LG hbs-110 headset. I'll be listening to my songs again and probably will be draining the battery faster than usual!

Forgot to mention that I finally found that my camera version was only 3.0 so I decided to download the patch. I didn't notice any significant change.
    Last edited by simba; 03/03/2007 at 11:49 AM. Reason: camera patch
    Handspring Visor 2mb; Visor Prism; Palm i705; Tungsten2; VZW Treo650; TMO Crimson Treo680; iPhone 3g on TMO edge
  14. dpc
    Global Posts
    439 Global Posts
    I hate how my battery never says 100% charged, the highest is 96% so far. Having said that though, the battery life isn't so bad. I have noticed that it has gotten better over time.
  15.    #35  
    My God! It was nearly 3:00 this morning when my phone "beeped" and officially went into a coma this morning beside my bed! I woke up, and plugged it in. It went nearly four hours registering 4%...and showing no charge on the meter at all. Clearly, the meter did need calibration.

At 7:00am the green light was on, and I unplugged it...and it registered an all-time high of 99%. My highest up until then had been 94%...so some improvement in the meter anyway...
    Not sure i understand - do you mean it went for 4 hours without dropping from 4% and then you fell asleep and only woke up when it died? Was that much later than you would have projected it to die based on how fast it was dropping earlier? It sounds like that - and if so, then good - you should now see improved accuracy of the battery meter. This also supports our scepticism about the Scandinavian Sim Shuffle - it does not seem calibrate the meter properly.

Regarding the 99% off the charger. I reckon this is due to a couple of things. 1. You have probably not started charging that late before. 2. You have probably not had the battery that low before. Therefore, it took longer to reach 100%, and this happened much later in the morning, so it didnt have time to drop down from 99. It will also take longer to drop down from 99, because your battery meter is calibrated properly. In the old days, you were probably really only charging from half to full, so it reached 100% much earlier, then started draining back down to what it thought was 0% (probably really 30% or similar) for the hours that you were still sleeping.
    For those who feel cheated out of that extra 1%, you may find that if you LEAVE THE PHONE IN THE CHARGER, and check the battery while it is still on the charger, you will see it actually hit 100%. I always figure that extra one per cent is important to me, since I arrive home late at night with the unit near zero, and so I do leave it on there a few minutes until it does actually hit 100. As soon as you take it off the charger, though, you will see it 99%, but at least you'll know that isn't JUST 99%, it's 99 PLUS %
    I am stoked! 11-hours after pulling my phone off the charger, after a full-drain/full-charge last night...I am still at 90% charge showing. Much better than I've ever experienced. It may be that my battery has always lasted this long...but because of the battery meter's lack of correct calibration, I never knew it. What ever the case may be...I'm pretty happy about this.

Thanks, DIG. You are the man!
  18.    #38  
    Beaudy! Another satisfied customer... (actually, I think you are the first or maybe the second one as I dont think many people believed me). Now, if you could just send $399 in unmarked cash to this address...... (of course I am joking, but it is sometimes hard to tell with cold hard text).

I blame the SIM chicken dance which so many/most users have relied on. This was claimed to fix the battery meter, but your experience clearly says it does not. If enough people report in with similar success stories, it may be worth pinning a thread specifically about this at the top.

Great news anyway. Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy.
    I hope you are not also discounting the organ transplant phenomenon. That one's been well-documented, and it was always unfair to have tarred it just because they share Scandinavian origins.
    Beaudy! Another satisfied customer... (actually, I think you are the first or maybe the second one as I dont think many people believed me). Now, if you could just send $399 in unmarked cash to this address...... (of course I am joking, but it is sometimes hard to tell with cold hard text).

I blame the SIM chicken dance which so many/most users have relied on. This was claimed to fix the battery meter, but your experience clearly says it does not. If enough people report in with similar success stories, it may be worth pinning a thread specifically about this at the top.

Great news anyway. Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy.
    Did you say in another thread that repeated charging from full-off battery drain is harmful to the battery? Christina says that she has had amazing results off of doing it more than once...and I am willing to try it again to see if I get the same improvements, if it won't have a negative effect on my battery.
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast