Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast
    I am no expert on all this,but ever since I downloaded the camera update under the support section at Palm, my 680 battery is doing alot better.
    Global Posts
    645 Global Posts
    I've had overnight drain issues, and since everything else, so far this week, turning off IR receive has given me three nights of slow drain-- lots of charge left! Thanks for the advice.
    Quote Originally Posted by mdavis View Post
    I can barely make heads or tails of your graph. Not that it's beyond me, but it's too much like work. My idea of a smartphone is that, if there is any thinking to do, it does it for you. If I have to study a graph, I usually can bill it out at an almost criminally high hourly rate. To have to do that just to get my damned phone to work is just ridiculous. I know you're doing the best you can, but can you imagine if Palm actually included this kind of nonsense in its advertising copy? Could you imagine Motorola or any other manufacturer suggesting this kind of resource to get their phones working right?

Now do you recognize me? ****wit.

You know you could just get an iphone.... and save us all the trouble of reading your trolls.

Lets face it, the battery life sucks. Why? because Palm wanted it smaller. Why? because they wanted to sell more. Why? because they wanted to make more money. why? to line their pockets.. err to fund in Linux R & D.

Why do you have a Treo 680 then? Get a extended battery if you still want it. but please dont act like a 5 year old kid. DIG is like 100 times smarter then you are. He is analyzing a graph so that he can understand. he is posting the graph so that we can see how he came to his analysis. seriously stop being a kid.
    Last edited by kunjan; 05/22/2007 at 02:03 AM.
    -----------------
    http://kunjan.net
    I could not agree with "KUNJAN" more. He said it perfect and true. The battery issue is RIDICULOUS. I had it on my 650 and now the 680. However, there may be a rainbow ahead. I spoke just yesterday with Palm support about an Outlook issue. Before hanging up I did ask her about the battery performance and she said; "there is a known issue with battery performance and in a few weeks they excpect an update".
    ~* Peace
    Global Posts
    495 Global Posts
    I really hope that is the ROM update!! Hopefully a carrier independent IM program.

The Palm OS Treo's (excluding 755p except i heard its crap IM app) are the ONLY smartphone that does not ship with an IM program of sort.
    Aaron M. Fisher
    CEO of Sonicfish Consulting
    www.SonicfishConsulting.com

PDA/ Smartphones:
    Handspring Visor> Sony Clie SL10> Nokia N-Gage> Nokia 3300b> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Nokia e71> Apple iPhone 3G> Palm Pre+
    Quote Originally Posted by kunjan View Post
    ... DIG is like 100 times smarter then you are. ...
    I must say I didn't understand your post any more than DIG's graph at first but then I realized what you meant. He really is smart.Still everything seemed out of whack, even if your figure was just an estimate. But if you figure that makes him about 10,000 times as smart as you...give or take a trained monkey or two...everything starts to fall into place.
  7.    #207  
    To quote an earlier post from mdavis...
    Have you guys been talking to my mother?
    No but I expect his mother is miffed.
  9.    #209  
    Quote Originally Posted by mdavis View Post
    No but I expect his mother is miffed.
    Whose? His or mine?
    I can't believe your mother gets miffed. You'd probably send her a graph or two and tell her to get over it. She's surely 100 times smarter than me, too. But 10,000 times smarter than this other fellow.
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    Cingular treo 680 with previously installed camera update. Installed ROM update yesterday.

In order to avoid misunderstandings about battery charge percent, I have based the following on the treo battery code that I think I found on the Palm site several months ago.

Rated battery capacity of the standard battery is 1200mah. In order to meet the Treo 680 spec of 300 hrs in standby (ie. phone on, no calls and no use), the standby drain has to be 1200mah/300h or about 4ma or less.

In a full signal strength, Cingular area, with the ROM update installed, I looked at the battery use graph after having the phone in standby but not on (ie.LCD off by quick tap on the red off button). Eyeballed 'average/ signal is at least 10ma.

Bluetooth, IR etc. are off.

I'd like to know the conditions under which someone is getting substantially better (ie. lower battery drain) standby operation.

thanks
    First, a thanks to everyone in this forum who posted helpful tips that helped me resolve my 680 problems (in response to other's questions - not mine. I just joined to say thanks and post my experiences).

My experiences so far:

One major help (for me) regarding the battery issue was as follows:
    -Download and install the Camera Software Patch (from Palm's Site)
    -Fully charge and discharge the phone a few times

My battery life was at about 6-10 hours before that, and now is lasting a few days (5-6 calls a day, and a few text messages, occassional internet access for traffic and weather apps).

The other things I have done (which may or may not be related to the battery issue) were:
    - Install Security update (again from Palm's site)
    - Cut a business card to the size of the SIM Card (leaving a small piece to fit into the pull-out notch at the end of the tray) and place it on top of the SIM before I inserted it.

This resolved my "Check Sim Card" error, and seems to have also resolved the occassional (few second) hangs after sending SMS messages or after calls. I have a feeling (that I cant confirm) that it also has affected (improved) battery life, as the intermittent connection to the SIM card seemed to be causing the phone to drop service, and/or display the "Check SIM card" error, and/or not reconnect after dropping service unless I powered the phone off and on... so I am thinking, all the reconnect attempts (failed and successful) would probably be a big drain on the battery as well.

I was previously planning on buying an extended life battery when my phone was only getting under half a day on a charge (as Palm bragged this phone got near the same talk and standby time as the 650 it replaces), but decided to try a combination of the fixes I saw here and elsewhere. Since then, every problem I have been having with my 680 has went away except one... the antenna on the 650 seems better. Where I live, I am often at the fringe of acceptable service, so in my house, I lose signal on the main floor, but get it upstairs - just barely (anywhere in the closest to outside walls/rooms). The 680 needs to be sitting near my window to get service, while the 650 could be almost anywhere in my upstairs room. All in all, (now that I've found a spot that it gets service, which happens to be close to my bed and a table), I'm happy with the phone. It reconnects to service far quicker than the 650, and seems a little faster in many things.

Thanks again, and hope this helps others (keep in mind if it does, this is actually an accumulation/summary of other people's suggestions and my experiences following them, so others deserve the thanks for this info)

Thanks,
    -Robert
    Last edited by RobertMfromLI; 05/27/2007 at 04:00 PM.
  13.    #213  
    Quote Originally Posted by mslade View Post
    Cingular treo 680 with previously installed camera update. Installed ROM update yesterday.

In order to avoid misunderstandings about battery charge percent, I have based the following on the treo battery code that I think I found on the Palm site several months ago.

Rated battery capacity of the standard battery is 1200mah. In order to meet the Treo 680 spec of 300 hrs in standby (ie. phone on, no calls and no use), the standby drain has to be 1200mah/300h or about 4ma or less.

In a full signal strength, Cingular area, with the ROM update installed, I looked at the battery use graph after having the phone in standby but not on (ie.LCD off by quick tap on the red off button). Eyeballed 'average/ signal is at least 10ma.

Bluetooth, IR etc. are off.

I'd like to know the conditions under which someone is getting substantially better (ie. lower battery drain) standby operation.

thanks
    Hi
    I guess you are using Battery.prc to check that 10ma usage. If you are, and you checked the box that selects poll battery every second when off, then yes, you will see a roughly straight line that indicates it is using roughly 10ma. This level of frequent battery measurement actually drains the battery faster than standby mode (I have checked this using batterygraph and it is also obvious because the battery runs out much faster!). If you turn off the poll battery function, then look at battery.prc to check the lowest usage (which corresponds with the standby drain rate), you may find that it drops to around 4ma (mine does) but with lots of peaks and troughs because it is not measuring the battery the whole time while it is asleep, only as it wakes up to check for signal, etc. Note, if you are suffering from TGP, you will also have a high standby drain rate (more like 20-30ma or more).
    Quote Originally Posted by mslade View Post
    My Treo 680 uses around 3 - 4 mA in standby while it sleeps. GSM phone on, GPRS off, IR off, BT off.

This is estimated by looking at dozens of current "measurements" from Treo Battery directly after switching it on. Besides the obvious variation of half a mA depending on the battery voltage, these values are quite reproducible. Additionally, this goes nicely with this Treo's 0,5%/h battery consumption during phases without usage (e.g. over night). So I didn't bother yet to really hook a current meter in between the Treo and its battery. (However this shouldn't be a big problem, if someone absolutely couldn't believe the 3-4mA standby rate...)

So yes, the Treo 680's electronics should be capable of theoretically (*) meeting the 300h standby value.

(*) Of course, this is unrealistic in reality. But let's not blame Palm for this. Producers of mobile phones have quite a "tradition" in advertising unrealistic standby values...

The sleep consumption of 10mA, you mentioned, seems far too high for a well-behaving Treo but too low to be due to what DIG calls TPG. I would bet on a configuration/software problem. (If I were you, I would backup my Treo, make a hard reset, re-install the firmware upgrade if necessary, only add the Treo Battery software and do the consumption test again...)

Bye.
  15.    #215  
    Quote Originally Posted by glen View Post
    My Treo 680 uses around 3 - 4 mA in standby while it sleeps. GSM phone on, GPRS off, IR off, BT off.

This is estimated by looking at dozens of current "measurements" from Treo Battery directly after switching it on. Besides the obvious variation of half a mA depending on the battery voltage, these values are quite reproducible. Additionally, this goes nicely with this Treo's 0,5%/h battery consumption during phases without usage (e.g. over night). So I didn't bother yet to really hook a current meter in between the Treo and its battery. (However this shouldn't be a big problem, if someone absolutely couldn't believe the 3-4mA standby rate...)

So yes, the Treo 680's electronics should be capable of theoretically (*) meeting the 300h standby value.

(*) Of course, this is unrealistic in reality. But let's not blame Palm for this. Producers of mobile phones have quite a "tradition" in advertising unrealistic standby values...

The sleep consumption of 10mA, you mentioned, seems far too high for a well-behaving Treo but too low to be due to what DIG calls TPG. I would bet on a configuration/software problem. (If I were you, I would backup my Treo, make a hard reset, re-install the firmware upgrade if necessary, only add the Treo Battery software and do the consumption test again...)

Bye.
    Glen - how could you, of all people, spell TGP wrong, it is named after you after all. Unless you would like it to be known as "The Phenomenon Glen"....
    I am still betting the 10mA is because he has polling every second switched on in the battery.prc software. Mine reads at 10mA when I have this on too.
    Quote Originally Posted by DIG View Post
    spell TGP wrong
    Ouch, you're right.

BTW, it would be very interesting to see, if the AT&T/Cingular Update from Palm fixes this sporadic power leak after phone calls.

However, I don't have such a Treo, so I can't test this...

Greetings!
    Global Posts
    150 Global Posts
    Regarding the camara update for the 680, is this recommended for Rogers only or any 680? I have a new Cingular/AT&T 680 and battery life is short. I have IR and BT off. Ideally I would like 2-3 days, but I'm getting basically 1 day. Can I install the camara update listed for Rogers on my Cingular 680?

Esteban
    Quote Originally Posted by glen View Post
    Ouch, you're right.

BTW, it would be very interesting to see, if the AT&T/Cingular Update from Palm fixes this sporadic power leak after phone calls.

However, I don't have such a Treo, so I can't test this...

Greetings!
    Do the custom ROM update; you'll get whatever the ATT Update had.
    After reading about problems experienced after install of the updater, would like to know if any real improvement in battery life. My Treo is real stable and I hate to mess with it just to get an AT&T logo.

Regarding improving battery life, one factor I haven't seen mentioned. Turning screen brightness to lowest acceptable level will definitely extend time - even if you are hooked on Bejeweled.
    Nokia 6340+(M100-> M130)->Treo600->Treo680
    Global Posts
    163 Global Posts
    Quick Q: I've just bought an officially refurbished 680. How can I check if it needs the battery updater or not?

Thanks.
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast