Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast
  1. tck
    Global Posts
    128 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jahmusic View Post
    So far after 12 hours I have gone from 97% to 76%, much better than before, should last two days at this rate.
    I will turn off my radio at about midnight, & turn it back on about 0530 in the morning. That way my battery will not lose much juice doing nothing during that period & will help sustain it thru the next day. Usually I will start my 2nd day at about 70%
    Quote Originally Posted by chemxs View Post

I followed the instructions on upgrading from "old" Palm TX to the Treo680. One app I beamed directly from the TX to the Palm -- the Palm keyboard app. However, I didn't use the dang thing between Dec. and mid-March.

>>>When I used the keyboard for the first time on the treo, I discovered the app had been in the "ON" position for roughly four months. My poor TREO had been desperately seeking keyboard. I had thoughtlessly assumed that having beam-receive off would also disable the keyboard.

***In summary, when I turned the keyboard app "OFF," my power usage went from 10%/hour to 20% or less for the whole day.

Well, duh, of course it would. But I figured 10%/hour was not crazy since I had been reading all these posts. I haven't seen anyone else as dumb as I was, so I thought I'd post and let everyone know this is another (possibly overlooked) power drain.
    OK after 24 hours I have 71%. The keyboard programme was definitely the problem since this is better consumption than I got last week with the radio off but the keyboard program on. Thanks to chemxs for the post and DIG for starting this thread.

of course 72-90 hours standby is a far far cry from 300, maybe palm should change their claim or at least let us know under what circumstances the 680 could last "up to 300 hours".
    Quote Originally Posted by tck View Post
    I will turn off my radio at about midnight, & turn it back on about 0530 in the morning. That way my battery will not lose much juice doing nothing during that period & will help sustain it thru the next day. Usually I will start my 2nd day at about 70%
    OK advice, but for my job my phone has to be on 24/7
  4.    #184  
    Quote Originally Posted by jahmusic View Post
    OK after 24 hours I have 71%. The keyboard programme was definitely the problem since this is better consumption than I got last week with the radio off but the keyboard program on. Thanks to chemxs for the post and DIG for starting this thread.
    Good to hear - there may be other problems that you can look for (such as The Glen Phenomenon) that could explain additional battery drain. My TREO would get close to 300 hours on standby (if I didnt use it, based on its drain rate overnight, with phone radio on). ALthough I must say, far too many people are dissatisfied with the 680, and until Palm repairs the 680, I am here to try and help do the best we can with a bad deal.
    Last edited by DIG; 05/06/2007 at 08:48 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by tck View Post
    You have something else draining your battery.

I leave my phone enabled, ChatterEmail enable online IMAP-IDLE on 3 mail accounts all night long. Average battery loss is 9% during the night.
    Quote Originally Posted by DIG View Post
    ... far too many people are dissatisfied with the 680, ....
    Did you know you've turned into a real fu~^wit?
  7.    #187  
    Quote Originally Posted by mdavis View Post
    Did you know you've turned into a real fu~^wit?
    Ya dag....

Actually, I should point out, just in case you meet an Australian and decide to try out your new set of compliments - putting the word 'real' in front pretty well removes the friendly nature of the otherwise insulting term.

or maybe you knew that...
    I read a fair amount of this thread, but not all of it.

I use the 680 mostly for email. I do some small amount of web surfing, usually while (ahem) reading, and I use PDA features a lot. I hardly ever use the phone. But when I do, it's critical.

My Treo sits in the charger when I'm home. My solution to the battery problem is to get another battery. Often, at work, I replace the battery at 2 PM or so, with the first battery showing 30% or thereabouts.

While travelling, I take a charger, but not a cradle, and am forever swapping out the spare battery to try to get them both charged in the hotel. Not a big deal unless you're in another country, using an adapter, with other toys competing for the adapter. What's more important, my wife's curling iron, or my battery? Well, she doesn't always bring the curling iron!

I used a 600 and a 650 prior to the 680 and never had an issue with the battery. The battery in the 680 is pretty bad. I did notice, after reading this thread, that IR receive was turned on, so I've turned that off. Too soon to tell if/how much it helps. It never mattered on the earlier models.

The bad battery was a real problem for me a couple of weeks ago when our power went off during a severe thunderstorm and stayed off for 12 hours, and all of our landline phones needed power. The Treo barely made it through the night on its first battery. (I bought an old-style no-power-needed phone for next time.)
    Quote Originally Posted by jpmcdonough View Post
    I read a fair amount of this thread, but not all of it.
    Well, no wonder you're having power problems.
  10.    #190  
    Quote Originally Posted by jpmcdonough View Post
    I read a fair amount of this thread, but not all of it....
    I hope you read the bit about The Glen Phenomenon in this, or in other threads. Check this piccy out (below) for a very clear illustration of the effect of TGP. My battery was draining with wonderful slowness (like a 650), including regular/moderate use during the week (as you can see from the small green and red notches on the bottom axis). I recharged Saturday morning, then, TGP struck. I can actually remember the call that induced it, I was busy and distracted didnt hang up at my end, and I didnt use my 680 very much on the weekend. On Sunday evening, I checked the battery, and was surprised to see it was nearly at 0%. I also noticed the characteristic loud 'hiss' out of the back speaker every time I pressed a button. TGP strikes again! Worse still, the usual fix (call the 680 and hang up) didnt work, but a soft reset did the trick. So, if you have a surprisingly fast battery drain (without heavy use, because heavy use would cause a fast battery drain that should not be very surprising), and you havent checked for TGP as the cause, I reckon you should - it is easy to fix. You can check for it by listening for the hiss, or using battery.prc or battery graph, or just try a soft reset and if this improves things for a while, then chances are you are another victim of TGP....

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t...p-C26CB273.jpg

This explanation of how to interpret my graph is edited in response to the very lovely mdavis, who found my graph to be graphically challenged. For those who are interested but dont understand my battery graph plot - y axis = charge, x axis = days (verticle blue lines represent midnight), sloping dark blue line therefore shows battery drain over a number of days. You can see that most of the graph shows my 680 running for roughly 4 days in which time it drained by roughly 70% charge (ie. about 17% drain per day). After I recharged it, TGP struck, and the drain rate increased dramatically = it completely drained in 1 day. Pretty simple conclusion - TGP is a major problem that is well-worth avoiding if you use a 680 and want it to last more than a day.
    Last edited by DIG; 05/20/2007 at 05:40 PM. Reason: I didnt want mdavis to send me a bill for time taken to interpret my graph
  11.    #191  
    Whoops, I nearly forgot...far too many people are dissatisfied with the 680, and until Palm repairs the 680, I am here to try and help do the best we can with a bad deal.
    My battery life is fine - I disabled the IR because I don't use it. I only have BT enabled when I need it for synching. With BT enabled my battery drains much faster. I haven't charged since yesterday morning and am still at 78%.
    http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t...p-C26CB273.jpg

far too many people are dissatisfied with the 680, and until Palm repairs the 680, I am here to try and help do the best we can with a bad deal.
    A phone that can be make user friendly merely with the use of that extraordinarily simple and self-explanatory graph is so far from a bad deal that your proviso makes itself unnecessary.

There's got to be some down-under expression that captures this dry wit. It's not ****wit is it?
    Since I did the requisite drain/charge dance a couple of times, my battery has been very acceptable...with more than 50% left at the end of a normal work day. But, recently I have been using the Seidio extended battery just so I don't absolutely have to charge it every night if I am away from a charger...or just forget.

I have found...much to my suprise, I kind of like the added "grip" the humpy battery door affords the almost slippery 680 housing. But...I am going to buy a Rex Regina Stanton case soon...and Christinac130 tells me that it will not accomodate the big battery...so it will be back to the OEM one soon. And, that will be ok too...
    Crimson Treo 680 (given up for adoption)
    BlackBerry 9000 Bold - Main
    Palm Centro - Secondary
    Well, no wonder you're having power problems.
    I did read the part about turning off IR receive, and my phone was over 80% at the end of the day today.
    I hope you read the bit about The Glen Phenomenon in this, or in other threads.
    Since I use my Treo for voice infrequently, I can't evaluate whether I have that or not. I'll certainly look for it in the future. My wife uses hers for voice more than I do, and I'll ask her to keep an eye on it.

Thanks for the tip.
  17.    #197  
    A phone that can be make user friendly merely with the use of that extraordinarily simple and self-explanatory graph is so far from a bad deal that your proviso makes itself unnecessary.

There's got to be some down-under expression that captures this dry wit. It's not ****wit is it?
    I dont quite know how to respond to this...

Either the sarcasm is too well-disguised for me, OR, an imposter has logged on as mdavis, OR, mdavis has actually been impressed by my graphical depiction of the 680 at its best and worst....nah...dream on...
    I can barely make heads or tails of your graph. Not that it's beyond me, but it's too much like work. My idea of a smartphone is that, if there is any thinking to do, it does it for you. If I have to study a graph, I usually can bill it out at an almost criminally high hourly rate. To have to do that just to get my damned phone to work is just ridiculous. I know you're doing the best you can, but can you imagine if Palm actually included this kind of nonsense in its advertising copy? Could you imagine Motorola or any other manufacturer suggesting this kind of resource to get their phones working right?

Now do you recognize me? ****wit.
  19.    #199  
    I can barely make heads or tails of your graph. Not that it's beyond me, but it's too much like work. My idea of a smartphone is that, if there is any thinking to do, it does it for you. If I have to study a graph, I usually can bill it out at an almost criminally high hourly rate. To have to do that just to get my damned phone to work is just ridiculous. I know you're doing the best you can, but can you imagine if Palm actually included this kind of nonsense in its advertising copy? Could you imagine Motorola or any other manufacturer suggesting this kind of resource to get their phones working right?

Now do you recognize me? ****wit.
    Ahh, thats more like it! Dry as a dead dingo's donger.
    Whoops, I nearly forgot...far too many people are dissatisfied with the 680, and until Palm repairs the 680, I am here to try and help do the best we can with a bad deal.
    OK. I will take you at your word. I now understand.

I admit that all this time, I thought you were denying that there was anything to "repair," that there was a "bad deal." I thought you were just a shill for Palm.

I do not think that Palm can "repair the 680." I do not think that there is a single problem that Palm can simply fix. I think that it is simply a poor design. Any "repair" will be so radically different that the only similarity to a 680 will be appearance and price.
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast