Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Seems like the only threads being started here on Treocentral.com in the 680 Hardware forum is from people ranting over how pissed and disappointed they are about their phones. I'm a newbie here...and my opinion may not make any difference...but aren't there any people out there that really like their Treo 680?

Seems like one of the reasons I never got a Treo 650 was because of all the whining and moaning about the phone being buggy and unstable...now lots of you are crying and saying that you are sorry you left your 650's for the 680. I may be totally mistaken...but isn't the only reason that the 650 became a reliable and useable phone, because Palm ushered in tons of software upgrades and the like to correct the inherant problems?

The Treo 680 is my first entrance into the smartphone/PDA arena, and I am having to wade through lots of information to make my experience a good one. I have done the battery patch...and battery life has really improved, and I swapped my 3G SIM for a 2G one plus had Cingular techs re-register my phone to the system...and the gibberish everybody cries about went away. I am enjoying my phone despite some "tuning" that has had to be done. Why can't some of you do the same. I mean...damn, if you hate the phone so much why don't you sell it or return it? Take the money, and buy you a phone you can be happy with.

Aren't there any Treo 680 fans here?
    Hey, I am enjoying my phone too. Minor glitches no doubt but far less than when the 650 first came out. I think people tend to b*tch more than to sing happy tunes on public forums. Battery life is OK too for my heavy usage. Will take me thru a busy day with 20-30 phopne calls, heavy PIM usage.
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    I love my 680. I had a 650 prior to it and sold it to buy the 680. And i have only had one problem with it, and that got easily resolved by palm. And i haven't had any problems since, not even with third-party software.

I love my crimson 680. Its unlocked, and I have it on Cingular and haven't had any problems. I too installed the battery/camera patch and the improvement has been great. Yeah the battery doesn't last long, but it doesn't bother me to charge it when its low, even if its in the mid of the day.

I come to this board a lot, to read about new programs and accessories for the treo.

I love my phone!
    m100 Zire 72 Treo 650 Treo 680
    It's the nature of the beast . . . .most people come to a forum like TC to resolve an issue or problem. So most posts are usually issue based and an overall tone of "problem" device may be created.

How many Treos have been sold? How many active members are there on this forum? I will venture to say that the "Silent Majority" are happy users without issues.

So do not let the tone of the posts around here speak too loudly.

Cheers, Perry.
    I have said a number of times here in TC and in another forum that I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my sexy Crimson 680!! In so many ways, it's better than my 650, and I liked my 650 just fine.

I think it's great that you've started this thread, but there have been many positive things said about the 680, amongst all the complaining, and there have even been some other threads started for this very same purpose.
    It's the nature of the beast . . . .most people come to a forum like TC to resolve an issue or problem. So most posts are usually issue based and an overall tone of "problem" device may be created.
    Yep, I completely agree, it is easy to be misled by the abundance of negative posts on these forums. This is certainly not going to be a random sample of the 680 user community - it is heavily biased towards those who have problems and aren't happy. That said, I am guessing that even amongst the regulars here , there is not as much dissatisfaction as it may sometimes seem, so I think it would be interesting to specifically ask about people's experience with their 680 in terms of battery life (the main issue it seems). So if you are interested in posting your own experience, please visit this thread. http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=138054
  7.    #8  
    I have been a regular on several mobile phone forums...one of the largest in particular, and have to agree with you in that what you see in forums is pretty much the same as the results you get if you do a satisfaction survey for a product or business service. The majority of those users or clients are probably pretty satisfied (if you put out a good product overall)...and you never hear a peep out of them. But...the minority of people who have issues or problems...well, you hear from them right away. And, if the complaints are all you see...it is easy to draw unfair conclusions that the product or service is bad.

I guess I started this thread as a way to vent too!! I kind of thought that maybe I was just too new...and I didn't know enough to be mad at my phone. Granted, I am still running a stocker...with no added software (coming soon)...but I'm pretty much digging the Treo. I was originally really concerned that I would be totally intimidated by the technology (I actually am still to an extent)...but it's fun learning. And I think the Treo 680 is a phone that I can "grow into" instead of getting bored with.
    The phone really sucks. That doesn't mean it isn't better than other phones--there are others that suck, too. But this one is particularly bad in many respects--most importantly, that it is seriously inferior to its predecessor, the 650, in too many ways. Every way? No! The memory is a tremendous improvement. But if you try to USE that memory, you'll be disappointed because of its battery life. It sucks. That can, of course, be sugar-coated, but you've got to remember, then, that you're consuming pure calories and no substance. Each to his own.
    I really like my 680. Are there things I'd change? Sure. But it's a great device and I don't see moving anytime soon. I've had very few problems and I find the forums very helpful - either directly or by searching.

There are lots of people who like the 680. Are there bad ones? Yes, but that's true of every device. Unfortunately, posts along the lines of "I love my Treo" are boring. That's why you tend to hear about the problems.

When I check something out on a site with ratings, like Amazon, I look at the negative ratings first, both how many there are out of the lot, plus their texture. 10% bad ratings can really pull down an average and if half of them are about shipping problems rather than the article, well sometimes an average can be over or under rated.

Take a look at amazon.com and search for Treo 680. For the Cingular version their are 18 customer reviews for an average of 3 1/2. There are 3 1s, 3 2s 3 3s 2 4s and 7 5s. Without going into details, this tells me that there may be some quality problems but the phone has the potential to appeal highly.

Bob
    Palm IIIc=>Sony Clie T665=>Palm T3=>Palm Treo 680
    Heh, like Amazon is a good place to get a sample of opinions on a device more complex than a toaster..
    I loved my 650 and I still can't seem to let it go, but it took a lot of frustration and patience to get it stable. I'm amazed at all the "I'm going back to my 650, the 680 sucks!" posts. I don't know if the newer 650s shipped with improvements or what, but when it was first released TC was overrun with threads complaining about a multitude of problems.

If you're like me and just hit the "New Posts" pages, you'll notice very few threads are in the 680 section of the forum. Most of the threads that are there are just rehashings of the battery problem, that for many, has been fixed (or at least alleviated )

After my low battery problem (fixed) and SIM card issue (also fixed), my only complaint is the my 680 is soooo stable it's almost boring Where are the custom ROMs???
    Last edited by Christinac130; 03/01/2007 at 08:15 AM.
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    I've had my Cing 680 since Dec and I love it. I have had none of the issues except the bat drain from the camera. Put the patch in and bat life is great. Came off of a 650 with ext battery, so the 680 took a little getting used to. I love mine so much I've talked 3 of my neighbors into getting 680s and they love them too. Like someone else in the thread said, a lot of the folks that end up here are looking for solutions. It is also my opinion that alot of these same folks would not be happy no matter what phone they had.
    Global Posts
    150 Global Posts
    I think part of what you've experienced here is the nature of forums, as mentioned above, and part of it is the enormous ill will created by Palm. Bringing a very expensive device to market, after two full years of development time, with serious issues (and a half-day battery in a Treo is about as serious as a phone/pda issue gets) that you leave owners to work out on their own (i.e., do the work you should have done before releasing it) is bad, bad business.

I obsessively monkeyed with my 680, with lots of help, none of it from Palm, and added all kinds of pricey third-party software to replace the utterly useless junk they "provide" to perform all the device's functions, and now it pretty much does what I bought it to do.

And I love it as much as I can for something I bled so much over. But I'll be an iPhone guy soon, after four Treos (and having sold another 4,000,000 or so by recommending them to all my friends and family), because I don't want to be treated this way by a company, and I know from long experience I won't get that from Apple. (sound of man ducking while iPhone fur flies)
    Brian
    Quote Originally Posted by davistld01 View Post
    ... I have done the battery patch...and battery life has really improved, and I swapped my 3G SIM for a 2G one plus had Cingular techs re-register my phone to the system...and the gibberish everybody cries about went away.
    Aren't there any Treo 680 fans here?
    I love my Treo 680 - it's also my first foray into the smartphone market from a TX.

Can I ask what happens if you use a 3G SIM (I have one and do have a few niggles, and would like to know if changing the SIM would fix them).

Regards,
    James.
    Hi Brian!

There may be no perfect gadget -- but everyone has there own idea -- as to what it should be and how close their current device is to delivering that desire.

The iPhone will be a wait and see for me. At the moment -- the first hurdle is I am a Sprint guy with a terrific monthly plan. A device would REALLY have to blow me away to move to Cingular rates. Second -- I will have to wait and see what functionality the iPhone brings to the table besides being cool, a phone and a video iPod. I have alot of productivity apps on my Treo that would need to be somehow recreated on any new device. . . .

If the iPhone is your "closest to Nirvana" device -- I will cheer you all the way. That is what it is all about -- finding the gadget that fits your needs and desires the best.

Cheers, Perry.

Hey TC -- Do you folks have the name "GadgetCentral" reserved yet?
    Does anyone else think it's a little funny that the person who started this "new attitude" thread is the same one that started a "bye bye 680" thread just a few days ago? A quick look back at Davis' early postings will give you a great timeline example for someone new to smartphones - it starts out by falling in love, then turns to hate, then white-hot hate, then you fall back in love again and stick up for your Treo like the little brother that only you can beat up and make fun of.
  17.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by jameshenderson View Post
    Can I ask what happens if you use a 3G SIM (I have one and do have a few niggles, and would like to know if changing the SIM would fix them).
    James, I only switched back to an "old school" 64K "2G" SIM from my 3G one that originally came with my Treo as part of a prescribed cure for a case or two of the infamous "gibberish" that replaced the Cingular logo banner on my homescreen...and also the service stoppage that went with that for some odd reason. Cingular Technical Services got me to call them from a landline, and they did an OTA "fix" by forcing the phone to re-register itself to the Cingular system...then I did a soft-reset per the reps instructions. Then he recommended getting another SIM since there had been reports from Treo users of this problem, and a consensus had been that the 3G SIM could be a contibutor to the issue.

Did all that work? I dunno...but the gibberish deal hasn't happened in the two weeks since I did all this...so maybe so.
    Quote Originally Posted by tccentex View Post
    Does anyone else think it's a little funny that the person who started this "new attitude" thread is the same one that started a "bye bye 680" thread just a few days ago? A quick look back at Davis' early postings will give you a great timeline example for someone new to smartphones - it starts out by falling in love, then turns to hate, then white-hot hate, then you fall back in love again and stick up for your Treo like the little brother that only you can beat up and make fun of.
    I thought the "bye, bye 680" thread was started by fondoo???
    Last edited by Christinac130; 03/01/2007 at 09:09 AM.
    Global Posts
    265 Global Posts
    i have had every treo since the 270 and the 680 is by far the best. it rarely needs a soft reset like my 600 & 650 and the blazer is much faster.
    morris stalk
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast