Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by tccentex View Post
    Does anyone else think it's a little funny that the person who started this "new attitude" thread is the same one that started a "bye bye 680" thread just a few days ago? A quick look back at Davis' early postings will give you a great timeline example for someone new to smartphones - it starts out by falling in love, then turns to hate, then white-hot hate, then you fall back in love again and stick up for your Treo like the little brother that only you can beat up and make fun of.
    I think if you will take a "quick look back" at the "Bye Bye 680" thread... you will see that it was started by someone besides me. And...what are you...a forum stalker?
    I love the Treo 680. Its my first combo pda/phone. I have been using Palm since it came out in the early 90's. There are a few minor things I would have liked to see regarding built in phone app but so far I love it.
    Quote Originally Posted by davistld01 View Post
    James, I only switched back to an "old school" 64K "2G" SIM from my 3G one...
    Ahh. That makes sense. between my posting and your replying I asked my provider (UK, Vodafone) how I could change from a 3G to a 2G phone and I was politetly told there was no difference. But as you mean 32k or not, I understand. On Vodafone the only difference between 32k SIMs etc is auto-scanning of providers abroad and whether the phone is locked down to specific numbers or not (or so said the nice man I was talking to). He said 2G and 3G capability is controlled by the service provider and not the SIM.

Thanks.

The niggling issue I was referring to in my post is that ocasionally - and I can't work out any pattern - my phone disconnects in a call and switches off for no reason. I'll raise a seperate thread on that though.
    Quote Originally Posted by jameshenderson View Post
    The niggling issue I was referring to in my post is that ocasionally - and I can't work out any pattern - my phone disconnects in a call and switches off for no reason. I'll raise a seperate thread on that though.
    That's usually a SIM contacts problem. The SIM card is not making the correct or complete connection to the device...try shimming it.
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    I too love my 680. Much more stable then my 650 or 600, both of which I still have and they continue to work. My battery problems never really happened. I conditioned the battery right our of the box. I've loaded up all my favorite apps and still have 40megs of overhead...sweet!

I will likely always have a pda/phone, but I see lots of branches in the road ahead of us. That's what make the "never-ending quest for the perfect gadget" so much fun. (My wife would say expensive.)
    "I Sync, therefore I AM!"

BellSouth became Cingular, left for ATT, who became Cingular, who became ATT. Is that right?
    Visor Pro > Vx > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Tilt!
    this is my frist smart phone so i dont know if its good or not

there are a few things i want it to do and TC peeps have been very helpful

the batery went from 9 hours to 2days with out a charge so im happy
    I'm absolutely lovin' my 680 and consider it a significant step up from my 650:
    • Expanded RAM means I'm not tied to one SD card always having to be in the slot. I can now use the SD card for content, not a holding location for overflow programs.
    • Much, much, much more stable, even with an onerous load of specialized third-party programs hooking into the OS.
    • Battery life is very, very good for me. Possibly better than the 650.
    • No antenna means a much more comfortable pocket.
    • Great reception and two-way sound on the phone.
    • Screen is a (small but significant) step up from the 650 in terms of colour responsiveness.
    • I love the vibrant Crimson colour. Be gone dull grey! Be gone!!
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrickS View Post
    [*]I love the vibrant Crimson colour. Be gone dull grey! Be gone!![/LIST]
    Ugh!!! We know, we know already...you have the prettiest phone!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrickS View Post
    [*]I love the vibrant Crimson colour. Be gone dull grey! Be gone!![/LIST]
    I'm also very happy with mine (although I havent previously owned a TREO, so cant compare it to the 650). Mine is also crimson...maybe thats it...the other colours were all test models that ultimately led to the flawless (crimson) 680s.
    Global Posts
    392 Global Posts
    I love my 680 much better than the 600 which was much better than carrying around my palm pda, cellphone & Ipod and all the chargers, yea i would love to have a longerlasting battery, but all the positives outweigh
    the 1 negative.
    Quote Originally Posted by Christinac130 View Post
    That's usually a SIM contacts problem. The SIM card is not making the correct or complete connection to the device...try shimming it.
    Thanks.
    My 680 is sooooooooooo much better than my 650, and way better than my old sprint POS. It makes me happy, I just about love it. But the gibberish issue is pretty damn annoying when it happens.

I'm not asking for miracles, just a phone that works as a phone when I get a call, not lock up or refuse to let me dial until I reboot it. And i have a 64k SIM. Hopefully I will get my hands on a working SIM and then be 100% happy again.

As an engineer I'm very picky, and I would never put my name on a product that locks up daily...
    Overall, my Treo 680 experience has been terrific. Not perfect, but absolutely nothing like the sheer hell of Windows Mobile.

The Treo 680 is stable. Windows Mobile crashes all the time. The Treo 680 has a usable keyboard and is easy to use. I don't want to be running twelve buggy programs at once -- I want a good phone + PDA + email + etc.

Of course, I still want Palm to make a phone that's half the thickness, twice the battery life, costs half as much, and has built-in GPS. Oh, and delicious milkshakes (and it's OK if only chocolate and strawberry are supported at first).

But until then, I'm sticking with the 680.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    This is my first Treo and I really like it now that I have adjusted to using the navigation and keyboard (former Grafitti user). My battery took a couple of weeks to really settle in, and after that I found the Treo 680 to be very stable. I have added the applications I use frequently from by Tungsten C days (after updating a couple for compatibility) and haven't had any problems with the phone or the pda use. The only thing I notice, which seems odd, is if I try to use the speaker phone capability, it is too low. Strange, because otherwise the volume of the speaker for playing music or listening to audio books is quite loud, and I never have it turned even half way up and can hear clearly with or without the headphones. I haven't figured that one out yet, so I just worked around it by buying a BT earpiece and that works great for me. I just got the new Seidio crystal case so I can continue to show off the pretty crimson color. Good thing I don't have to reset it, though, because I may never be able to get this case off again. I think it's on for good!
    I'm a new smartphone user too nd the 680 has been a good experience even before the battery/camera patch...i have no problems with it and though I may charge it mor than my old nokia I rarely use a FULL charge..I've gone days on just a trickle charge here for two hrs another one there for 1...and this is with audiobooks, music and phonecalls...video's ok but all these screens are too small for prolonged viewing for me! I give it a 4 out of 5 stars personally! Available software gets 5 out of 5
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12