Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    162 Global Posts
    ok guys, i just got my 700P a couple weeks ago and love it so far. i used mycast5 on my previous phone. what is the best weather program out there for palm OS?
    I use 4cast. It functions as a plug-in for 2day and datebk6.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad View Post
    I use 4cast. It functions as a plug-in for 2day and datebk6.
    4cast is also my weather app of choice at the moment.
    Dont gasp, but I use On Demand. Works well most of the time and its free.
    Global Posts
    162 Global Posts
    have any of you tried xweather? how does it compare to 4cast?
    Global Posts
    593 Global Posts
    http://kigosha.com/treociel/treociel.php
    For the weather geeks out there.
    The Doctor is IN!
    Gadget: Rogers Treo 680 (unlocked) GSM
    Cases: Still deciding
    I've used 4cast for a long time and have beeen very happy with it. The nice thing it has that others don't is the plugin support for DateBk6, ZLauncher and 2day.

There are others that give more detailed information (TreoCiel comes to mind) but if you just want a quick forcast for the next few days I recommend 4cast. Also, in my opinion, customer support for this product is top notch.
    I use hourly Xcast
    I use TreoCiel and xWeather — but most useful is using the browser to get really accurate and up-to-date local forecasts, warnings, and radar images from the Environment Canada website.
    xWeather gives good broad-range satellite and American radar. TreoCiel gives fine details on wind direction and speed, temperature, and precip probabilities (but based on somewhat unreliable weather sources ...). So I head to Environment Canada for crucial details. It’s the accuracy and the reliability of the sources and the degree to which the information is localized that is most important for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by sxtg View Post
    I use hourly Xcast
    I had Hourly Xcast installed on my Treo 650, but I didn't bother to re-install it when I upgraded to a 680. While I liked the detailed hour-by-hour forecast information, I didn't like having to maintain a Java installation as well. Is anyone aware of an alternative non-Java app, or mobile website, that provides hourly information?
    Quote Originally Posted by usskaos1 View Post
    I had Hourly Xcast installed on my Treo 650, but I didn't bother to re-install it when I upgraded to a 680. While I liked the detailed hour-by-hour forecast information, I didn't like having to maintain a Java installation as well. Is anyone aware of an alternative non-Java app, or mobile website, that provides hourly information?
    You can define 4cast to update as often as you like. Or, you can manually update it anytime since it only takes about 2-4 seconds to update.
    Global Posts
    591 Global Posts
    xweather vs 4 cast:

* 4cast has full international coverage. This is planned for xweather but not there yet.

* 4cast only allows you to customise two maps for each profile, xweather, 6.

* Navigation is much easier with xweather: just use 5 way to move between all data for each profile

* All of my maps look clearer on xweather

* 4cast draws on Yahoo only; with xweather you can also choose NOAA

* xweather shows more details of current conditions (dewpoint, heat Index)

* Only 4cast has plugin support.

* entering map URLs with xweather requires tedious typing, while with 4cast you can copy and paste.

My summing-up: if you only need US coverage, and dont need plug-in support, then xweather does everything that 4cast does (and apart from URLs, more efficiently) and has useful extra features.

cheers
    geoff

Treo 650 1.20 LAP.
    Quote Originally Posted by hoovs View Post
    You can define 4cast to update as often as you like. Or, you can manually update it anytime since it only takes about 2-4 seconds to update.
    OP didn't mean to check every hour. HrlyXcast gives you an hourly forcast (meaning forcasted temp etc... for each hour in the day)
    Quote Originally Posted by sxtg View Post
    OP didn't mean to check every hour. HrlyXcast gives you an hourly forcast (meaning forcasted temp etc... for each hour in the day)
    Oops. Sorry, my misunderstanding.
    No prob.

It's nice to know about what time you might wanna pack up the picknic
    Last edited by sxtg; 03/01/2007 at 09:07 AM.
    Oops. Sorry, my misunderstanding.
    Thanks for replying hoovs, but sxtg is right. I am looking for weather forecast information for each hour of a given day (e.g. 9am 44 degrees & rain, 10am 46 degrees & cloudy, 11am 50 degrees & rain, etc.).

As far as I am aware, this feature is only provided by Hourly Xcast. Many weather related websites include that information for desktop computers, but their mobile versions don't seem to include that feature.
    Quote Originally Posted by usskaos1 View Post
    Thanks for replying hoovs, but sxtg is right. I am looking for weather forecast information for each hour of a given day (e.g. 9am 44 degrees & rain, 10am 46 degrees & cloudy, 11am 50 degrees & rain, etc.).

As far as I am aware, this feature is only provided by Hourly Xcast. Many weather related websites include that information for desktop computers, but their mobile versions don't seem to include that feature.
    Have you looked at TreoCiel? I think it gives a graphic display of temp and precip by day and by hour.
    Global Posts
    162 Global Posts
    which one or ones has like a radar loop so you can see when you're goin to get hit
    Have you looked at TreoCiel? I think it gives a graphic display of temp and precip by day and by hour.
    I've seen some of the reviews for TreoCiel, but I haven't personally tried it yet. Maybe it's time for me to download a trial version and test it out.

Quote Originally Posted by though View Post
    which one or ones has like a radar loop so you can see when you're goin to get hit
    I haven't come across any app that includes animated radar maps. Instead, I rely on mobile websites like these -

http://www.ssec.wisc.edu/data/paw/
    http://mobile.wunderground.com/
    xWeather very customizable http://www.moxsi.com/download.html
    4cast offers great plugin features http://shsh.com/
    Cool Weather is free www.hiddentreasurehosting.com/weather
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast