Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 66
  1. #21  
    4cast also offers updates over Hotsync. Most other programs require a data connection. This is significant for those of us in locations where data is outrageously expensive.
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by usskaos1 View Post
    I've seen some of the reviews for TreoCiel, but I haven't personally tried it yet. Maybe it's time for me to download a trial version and test it out.
    I decided to download a trial version of TreoCiel this morning. It's a very interesting app, though I don't think it's going to be replacing 4cast as my primary weather app. I consider TreoCiel to be more of a supplemental app. It adds very useful hourly information in an easy to read graphical format. The information includes temperature, precipitation type/probability, and wind speed. Unlike Hourly Xcast, TreoCiel does not require Java.

    Unfortunately, TreoCiel doesn't provide many of the features available in some of the other apps mentioned in this thread. Some of these missing features are: scheduled downloads, the ability to refresh all cities during a single download, radar/satellite maps, severe weather alerts, plug-ins, and full text descriptions.

    I haven't yet decided whether or not to purchase TreoCiel. I'm going to give the trial version a few more days before deciding.
  3. #23  
    4cast and Hourly xcast
    Fred
    Cingular 680
  4. #24  
    I set the key "Z" as a favorite to bring up the url for weather underground set to my local area. It usually takes about 4 seconds to load an up to the minute complete forecast and current conditions, moon phase, sunrise/sunset, access to an animated weather map, etc. I do not understand why people need to pay money for anything more?
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by cellmatrix View Post
    I set the key "Z" as a favorite to bring up the url for weather underground set to my local area. It usually takes about 4 seconds to load an up to the minute complete forecast and current conditions, moon phase, sunrise/sunset, access to an animated weather map, etc. I do not understand why people need to pay money for anything more?
    Scheduled updates (as frequent as each hour)
    Multiple cities update (comes in handy if you travel)
    Plugins ( 4cast into 2day)
    Archiving of cities eliminates new set up of frequently used cities whose info doesn't need to be downloaded until necessary (xWeather)

    Good Luck
    Last edited by TurboTiger; 03/16/2007 at 09:10 PM.
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboTiger View Post
    xWeather very customizable http://www.moxsi.com/download.html
    4cast offers great plugin features http://shsh.com/
    Cool Weather is free www.hiddentreasurehosting.com/weather
    I agree, own and use both 4cast and xWeather. I tried TreoCiel but don't care for it. Can't make heads or tails out of the graphs.

    4cast, I like primarily as it's handy as a ZL plugin on my ZL "Today" tab. xWeather is really cool (scrolling info is awesome). Some work to do on maps (per communication with developer), such as allow gif maps, which about 80% of the weather maps are, but it has promise. I'd also like him to add moon data . . . so I know when to bark and when not!
    Lord, who will we go to? You have the words of eternal life. Jn 6:68 <><
    PDA "trail" > Sharp Wizard OZ-750 > Palm M100 > Visor Deluxe > Visor Prism > Sony T665C > Sony NX80V > Sony TH55(2) > Palm Treo 700p
  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboTiger View Post
    Scheduled updates (as frequent as each hour)
    Why should I look at an update from an hour ago when I can see up to the minute conditions with just a shortcut button press?
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboTiger View Post
    Multiple cities update (comes in handy if you travel)
    Its so easy to bookmark any cities you wish and keep them in blazer.
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboTiger View Post
    Plugins ( 4cast into 2day)
    I guess its just me, but I go into my calendar to check my schedule, not to check the weather. At any rate I find its interesting that I can get the current weather faster thru pressing a web shortcut button than I can to even open up agendus.
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboTiger View Post
    Archiving of cities eliminates new set up of frequently used cities whose info doesn't need to be downloaded until necessary (xWeather)
    Blazer bookmarks for different cities are so easy to make and use, I dont see the need for added levels of complexity.
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboTiger View Post
    Good Luck
    Good luck to you too.
    Last edited by cellmatrix; 03/18/2007 at 04:00 PM.
  8. #28  
    cellmatrix,
    I used your method for several years. But I feel the beneifits of having all of the cities updated at one time and in the case of 2day having that info displayed on the 2day screen along all other info justifies cost of the app.
    Good Luck
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
  9. #29  
    I've used many of the methods mentioned previously in this thread. Just during the past 2 years, I've gone through this long sequence of trial and error:

    - Used multiple Blazer bookmarks for several cities/websites and launched them manually as needed.
    - Wanted automatic scheduled updates, so I purchased Treo Alarm at the introductory discount price.
    - Treo Alarm stopped working after a firmware upgrade, so I went back to using Blazer bookmarks.
    - Added HourlyXCast to the mix.
    - Deleted HourlyXCast due to Java overhead and maintenance.
    - Used Shark Links to create launcher icons for my Blazer bookmarks.
    - Launcher screen looked too cluttered, so I removed the Shark Links and set up Phone Favorites with Quick Keys to launch.
    - Upgraded to a 680 and disliked the re-designed Phone Favorites screen, so I went back to Blazer bookmarks again.
    - Decided to give some non-freeware apps a try again to see if I was missing anything. Installed trial versions of 4Cast and xWeather.
    - Really liked 4Cast's ability to update multiple cities (including non-US cities) via automated updates as well as its DateBk6 plug-in capability. Paid for the app when I found a 15% off discount offer.
    - Missed the hourly information from HourlyXCast, so I installed a trial version of TreoCiel (mainly due to suggestions from earlier in this thread ).
    - Liked TreoCiel's features, but not enough to pay full price. Paid for the app when I found a 20% off discount offer.

    As far as I am concerned, there is no obvious answer to the question "What is the best weather app?". Software features change over time. My specific needs and expectations change too. At the moment, I am primarily using 4Cast with TreoCiel providing supplemental hourly information. I still have bookmarks set up for a number of websites (e.g. Wunderground, PDA Animated Weather, National Weather Service, and Accuweather), but the only website I use with any frequency is PAW for its animated radar images. I haven't found the "perfect" weather app yet, so I'll probably continue to experiment with different setups for the foreseeable future.
  10. TRgEOff's Avatar
    Posts
    589 Posts
    Global Posts
    591 Global Posts
    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by usskaos1 View Post
    - Used Shark Links to create launcher icons for my Blazer bookmarks.
    - Launcher screen looked too cluttered, so I removed the Shark Links and set up Phone Favorites with Quick Keys to launch.
    ... the only website I use with any frequency is PAW for its animated radar images. I haven't found the "perfect" weather app yet, so I'll probably continue to experiment with different setups for the foreseeable future.
    Now that Universe is offering Tabbed browsing, if it could be taken one step further, that is if you could save sets of Tabs all to be opened at once whenever you please, that would make web-based weather checking a whole lot more fun. (Of course it would be highly useful for endless other situations as well!). Xweather and 4Cast do that in a way, with their customisable profiles, but they can only handle sites that show a single small (50-60kb) JPEG. (Reminder to self: send feature request to DKirker!!)

    Thanks for the tip about PAW. Im not US-based, but still it had a couple of maps that were great for me!

    Cheers
    geoff

    Treo 650 1.20 LAP.
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboTiger View Post
    cellmatrix,
    I used your method for several years. But I feel the beneifits of having all of the cities updated at one time and in the case of 2day having that info displayed on the 2day screen along all other info justifies cost of the app.
    Good Luck
    Turbo, I understand your rationale, in fact I have used 2day and 4cast myself and agree they are excellent software, in fact all the programs from shsh are top notch. At any rate, I hope that elucidating the blazer approach which we both have used might prove useful to some who have simpler needs.
    Cheers, cell
  12. #32  
    Hello,

    I'm the designer of the PAW website. Thanks for the kind words above. I'd like to hear what kinds of functionality/displays you and any other users can suggest to improve the PAW site.

    BTW ... There will be a PAW - Google Gadget comming out at the end of the month. Same displays and controls currently offered on the main web site.

    Russ Dengel
    Space Science and Engineering Center
    Uuniversity Of Wisconsin - Madison
  13. TRgEOff's Avatar
    Posts
    589 Posts
    Global Posts
    591 Global Posts
    #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by PDAWX View Post
    Hello,

    I'm the designer of the PAW website. Thanks for the kind words above. I'd like to hear what kinds of functionality/displays you and any other users can suggest to improve the PAW site.

    BTW ... There will be a PAW - Google Gadget comming out at the end of the month. Same displays and controls currently offered on the main web site.

    Russ Dengel
    Space Science and Engineering Center
    Uuniversity Of Wisconsin - Madison
    Well thank *you* for all your great work Russ! PAW is a great site.

    My request is pretty predictable given that Im in India- *anything* you do towards domestication of basic India/Asian sites for mobile use would be breaking new ground as far as I can see. Monsoon-on-my-Mobile! Id love it!

    But Im originally from Australia, and follow the weather Downunder too, so if you extend your Oceania coverage, that would also be much appreciated.

    Sorry that these are very unsophisticated requests for a dedicated weatherbug like yourself

    cheers
    geoff

    Treo 650 1.20 LAP.
  14. #34  
    Have you try kMeteo? it's free works fine.. I setup timer so when I wake it'll have retrieved the latest temp.....
    Visor -> Treo 300 -> Sprint Treo 700p -> Treo 800w
  15. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by PDAWX View Post
    Hello,

    I'm the designer of the PAW website. Thanks for the kind words above. I'd like to hear what kinds of functionality/displays you and any other users can suggest to improve the PAW site.

    BTW ... There will be a PAW - Google Gadget comming out at the end of the month. Same displays and controls currently offered on the main web site.

    Russ Dengel
    Space Science and Engineering Center
    Uuniversity Of Wisconsin - Madison
    Hello Russ! Thank you for designing and maintaining the PAW site. It is probably the most frequently used website on my Treo 680. My favorite features are the local animated radar loops and daily true color images.

    I currently need to use a combination of the Ohio and Washington DC maps to provide enough information for the western Pennsylvania area. Would it be possible to create a new local radar section centering around the city of Pittsburgh?

    Regarding the daily true color images, would it be possible to have these images refreshed on a more frequent basis? I have a few of these images set up to be automatically downloaded with my third party 4Cast application (via the custom jpeg map feature). Unfortunately, the retrieved image is sometimes from a day or two before.

    Thank you again for providing the PAW site and for participating in this forum.
  16. #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by TRgEOff View Post
    Well thank *you* for all your great work Russ! PAW is a great site.

    My request is pretty predictable given that Im in India- *anything* you do towards domestication of basic India/Asian sites for mobile use would be breaking new ground as far as I can see. Monsoon-on-my-Mobile! Id love it!

    But Im originally from Australia, and follow the weather Downunder too, so if you extend your Oceania coverage, that would also be much appreciated.

    Sorry that these are very unsophisticated requests for a dedicated weatherbug like yourself

    cheers
    Russ Here,

    Sorry about the delay in responding.

    We (University of Wisconsin - Madison) actually get the satellite data from the Kalpana1 Geostationary Satellite. This would allow us to produce a India view like to ones that are currently running for Europe, Southern Africa, New Zealand and Australia. The only problem might be distribution restrictions imposed by the Indian Met service. I will check with our liason to see what is possible and get back to you.

    Russell Dengel
    Space Science and Engineering Center
    University of Wisconsin - Madison

    *** BTW ***
    There is now a new PAW Google Gadget available. Same images, and controls, but this version is designed to be used on larger (laptop/desktop) machines as a web active window on your Google, Windows or Personal webpage.
    ***********
  17. #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by usskaos1 View Post
    Hello Russ! Thank you for designing and maintaining the PAW site. It is probably the most frequently used website on my Treo 680. My favorite features are the local animated radar loops and daily true color images.

    I currently need to use a combination of the Ohio and Washington DC maps to provide enough information for the western Pennsylvania area. Would it be possible to create a new local radar section centering around the city of Pittsburgh?

    Regarding the daily true color images, would it be possible to have these images refreshed on a more frequent basis? I have a few of these images set up to be automatically downloaded with my third party 4Cast application (via the custom jpeg map feature). Unfortunately, the retrieved image is sometimes from a day or two before.

    Thank you again for providing the PAW site and for participating in this forum.

    Your Welcome. Glad you like it.

    Yes, the coverage for Pennsylvania is terrible. I already have a new sector that will improve the coverage in this region. It will be inserted shortly when I have the time to reset the ROAM functions from the surrounding regions.

    Re: True Color Images. These images come from Polar Orbiting Satellites Aqua and Terra.
    The orbit is the thing that actually limits the number of images we get per day. The geographic coverage is also limited by what our ground station (here is Madison WI) can "see". To get a picture of a specific location, our tracking antenna has to have line of site to the satellite as it passes over the desired location. This limits our view to the ConUS, Canada, Northern Mexico, and Cuba.
    New image sectors for the Grand Canyon and Seattle are now available. Also, if you haven't discovered this yet ... when you view a City Forecast in the PAW, there is a button on the MENU bar at the top of the frame labeled 'SAT'. Tap this button to display the most current TC image for the region surrounding the city. NOW... tapping on the label at the top of the TC image will display the last Clear View Image for the same scene. Tapping the label acts as a toggle between the latest view and clear view images. Tapping on any other portion of the image returns you to the forecast page for the city.

    Russell Dengel
    Space Science and Engineering Center
    University of Wisconsin - Madison

    PAW Google Gadget is now avaiable .... MacIntosh Widget version available soon....
  18. #38  
    For all those interested in looking at PAW, here is a link:

    http://www.ssec.wisc.edu/data/paw/

    Cool site. Got it bookmarked now!
    Nanotechnology Nerd
    i300-->i330-->i500-->6700(1 wk!)-->Sprintt650-->gsm650-->HTC Universal (1 mo.)-->gsm650-->Cing8525(3wks!)-->gsm650
  19. #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by PDAWX View Post
    Your Welcome. Glad you like it.

    Yes, the coverage for Pennsylvania is terrible. I already have a new sector that will improve the coverage in this region. It will be inserted shortly when I have the time to reset the ROAM functions from the surrounding regions.

    Re: True Color Images. These images come from Polar Orbiting Satellites Aqua and Terra.
    The orbit is the thing that actually limits the number of images we get per day. The geographic coverage is also limited by what our ground station (here is Madison WI) can "see". To get a picture of a specific location, our tracking antenna has to have line of site to the satellite as it passes over the desired location. This limits our view to the ConUS, Canada, Northern Mexico, and Cuba.
    New image sectors for the Grand Canyon and Seattle are now available. Also, if you haven't discovered this yet ... when you view a City Forecast in the PAW, there is a button on the MENU bar at the top of the frame labeled 'SAT'. Tap this button to display the most current TC image for the region surrounding the city. NOW... tapping on the label at the top of the TC image will display the last Clear View Image for the same scene. Tapping the label acts as a toggle between the latest view and clear view images. Tapping on any other portion of the image returns you to the forecast page for the city.

    Russell Dengel
    Space Science and Engineering Center
    University of Wisconsin - Madison

    PAW Google Gadget is now avaiable .... MacIntosh Widget version available soon....
    Thanks for the reply Russ. I did not know about the button navigation from the City Forecast menu. That's a very handy way to retrieve the appropriate true color image. Thanks for the hint. I'm also looking foward to seeing the coverage updates for Pennsylvania.
  20. TRgEOff's Avatar
    Posts
    589 Posts
    Global Posts
    591 Global Posts
    #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by PDAWX View Post
    This would allow us to produce a India view like to ones that are currently running for Europe, Southern Africa, New Zealand and Australia. The only problem might be distribution restrictions imposed by the Indian Met service. I will check with our liason to see what is possible and get back to you.
    Hi Russ,

    Thanks for the feedback, thats tantalising news. AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $the$ $Indian$ $Met$ $service$ $hasnt$ $gone$ $down$ $the$ $road$ $of$ $product$ $commercialisation$ $typical$ $of$ $many$ $weather$ $bureaus$ $these$ $days$, $so$ $at$ $least$ $they$ $probably$ $wont$ $be$ $concerned$ $about$ $loss$ $of$ $revenue$. $But$ $like$ $most$ $institutions$ $here$ $Im$ $sure$ $their$ $refinement$ $of$ $the$ $art$ $of$ $bureaucratisation$ $remains$ $far$ $ahead$ $of$ $any$ $other$ $similar$ $body$ $around$ $the$ $world$. $Hopefully$ $your$ $liason$ $knows$ $the$ $right$ $person$ $to$ $talk$ $to$.

    If youre looking to start with one "test" site, Im in Bangalore, a rather climatically pleasant but rather undramatic location. To compensate, I'm hoping to head down to southern Kerala last week of May to experience the arrival of the monsoon.

    cheers
    geoff

    Treo 650 1.20 LAP.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions