1.    #1  
    I just recieved a 4gb Transend 150x sd card. I tried to format it multiple times from a cmd line on my xp pro box using the following line;
    format /FS:FAT32 /a:32K x: where x=the card reader I'm using. Each time I get the following error after the verification reaches 99% (or possibly 100% and I didn't catch it)
    The specified cluster size is too big for FAT32.

Any ideas?
  2.    #2  
    update; I did a format allowing windows to choose the parameters. It formatted w/ a 4k cluster but only shows a bit under 1 gb instead of 4 gb. When I went back to a cmd line and looked at it again, it did show 981mb raw while formatting.
    What is possibility I have bad disk? What is the best definative test?
    What Treo do you have? -- try formatting the card in the Treo thru Card Info.

Do you get 4GB that way?
    format X: /FS:FAT32 /A:32K

Doubt that this would make a difference --- but try the command this way. . . . where X is the card reader drive letter.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden View Post
    Do you get 4GB that way?
    no
    Do you get 4GB that way?
    Bingo; that works. I moved a few files onto it to make sure it was real. But windows still only sees 1gb and when you try to actually access it, it sees it as a raw file system. No way to know what the cluster size is. Or to move the 900mb of files from my one gig card onto it... Yes, I know there are utilities to bypass the card reader altogether, but...

Which brings up another question... Since the palm was able to format it as 4 gb, what are the chances it is my cardreader?

treo 680 dazzle cardreader
    Not sure -- your card reader may be flaky. . . . how old is it?

You won't know if the 4gb is solid on the Treo formatted card until you start getting above 2GB filled. . . . or put it into some other PC card reader for verification. . . . but I thnk you are good to go . . . especially if "INFO" shows Free Space: 3707M of 3.8GB for the card, or something like that. . .depending on the size of the files you have on it.. .

Do you have FileZ? (A freeware file management utility for the PalmOS.)

www.nosleep.net
    click download
    select Filez

Cheers, Perry.
  7.    #7  
    Not sure -- your card reader may be flaky. . . . how old is it?

You won't know if the 4gb is solid on the Treo formatted card until you start getting above 2GB filled. . . . or put it into some other PC card reader for verification. . . . but I thnk you are good to go . . . especially if "INFO" shows Free Space: 3707M of 3.8GB for the card, or something like that. . .depending on the size of the files you have on it.. .

Do you have FileZ? (A freeware file management utility for the PalmOS.)

www.nosleep.net
    click download
    select Filez

Cheers, Perry.
    yes, I have filez, one of my most used utilities; a symbol of what early palm computing was all about - well written software by users who were dedicated to the platform and either freeware or cheapware... (as opposed to so many larger companies cashing in and raising prices on software)

Filez reads it as 4gb after the treo formats it... My only concern there is, what about cluster size? I'm guessing that it's 4k and that I'll only be able to use 2gb since filez reports that file system as vfat (virtual fat?)

If I can't format in windows, how can I obtain a 32k cluster size?
    If your PC will not format the card with the command above:

1. You either have a bad card, or
    2. Your card reader is flaky or it's current driver cannot handle 4GB.

The only way to test this is to put it in another PC and card reader and read the properites and such.

I have the Transcend 150X 4GB in my Treo 700P -- it formatted in both my card reader and my card reader. It worked in my hacked FAT32 Treo 650 and now in my 700P.

Good Luck.
    Last edited by gtwo; 03/02/2007 at 07:58 AM.