Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi.
    Im new to the forum and a new Treo owner. I have the 700p with Verizon. I am hoping I can get some info as to recommended applications and different things I can to to optimize the use of my phone. I browsed this site as a guest for a while and I must say the members here seem to be experts. With that being said I appreciate any and all feedback. The only 3rd party app I have installed on my Treo is Minitones which works great but I need suggestions as to what else I should install. Im currently using Wireless Sync thru Verizon for email and Blazer as my web brower. I also have a 1gb memory card but all I have on there is music, I recently purchased a 4gb from Ebay so Im hoping to put that to good use as well. Any help/suggestions is appreciated. TIA.

-S
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Many will answer "...search the forums..." while others will give you a list of application names. I prefer to have people who ask to visit this thread
    ...there's also this very informative thread, titled "700p FAQs", and stickied:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=116264

Lots of good stuff, mostly consolidated, I think, in that first post, especially.
  4.    #4  
    Lots of info to take in! thanks for the links!
    Welcome! May your 700p experience be wonderful and not too...dare I say it? Cathartic...

Be well, all.

David
    Dude,

There are a million possibilities for your Treo. I would suggest starting with a good launcher...I love Zlauncher. There's also TCPMP so you can watch movies (handy with that 4gb card), track your finances with PMT or Ultrasoft Money. If you aren't happy with Blazer I would suggest getting Opera mini to surf the web. If you like old arcade games you can download the actual old ROMs on the net and play things like Pac-Man, Defender, Nintendo games, etc. using LJP.

There are endless possibilities. Check out palmgear.com as a starting point for some software. I love my Treo.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by adjmcloon View Post
    Dude,

There are a million possibilities for your Treo. I would suggest starting with a good launcher...I love Zlauncher. There's also TCPMP so you can watch movies (handy with that 4gb card), track your finances with PMT or Ultrasoft Money. If you aren't happy with Blazer I would suggest getting Opera mini to surf the web. If you like old arcade games you can download the actual old ROMs on the net and play things like Pac-Man, Defender, Nintendo games, etc. using LJP.

There are endless possibilities. Check out palmgear.com as a starting point for some software. I love my Treo.
    Thanks! My first objective is aquiring a new launcher. I am leaning towards Zlauncher as I have heard many good things about it. Im a bit weary on the install process. I know with Minitones, I did the Palm Quick Install and the next time I hot synced Minitones was installed automatically, so I imagine I do the same with Zlauncher and any other apps...? This is a bit confusing to me because I read that you can also run apps off of your SD card...? Any info as to the best way to install? Anyway, Im going to keep reading the links provided and hopefully locate the info I need. I cant WAIT for my 4GB card! Oh and after reading those links ^^ provided by other users I learned how to stream my XM to my 700p. I AM SO EXCITED!!! I never knew it was possible! I get to listen to Opie and Anthony at work- how great is that?? So far this is the absolute BEST phone I have ever had. I will be checking out palmgear.com! Thanks for the tip!
    I looked at zlauncher but found it too busy for my needs, I ended up with launcherx instead.
    I also like 2-day, 4cast, chattermail, mundu messenger (changed my mind since my other comments about it), applock (to keep prying eyes out of my pictures), filez, treomemo (absolutely love this app), and kinoma 4.x.
    I also have a little app called Idea pad, it came in handy when I was building an HACMP cluster (Unix talk).

Have fun with your Treo, don't install too much at once, some of these apps have hiccups, and always try before you buy.

Oh yeah, I forgot about the vox mobile client for blogging.
    Last edited by pool_shark; 03/01/2007 at 11:07 AM.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by pool_shark View Post
    I looked at zlauncher but found it too busy for my needs, I ended up with launcherx instead.
    I also like 2-day, 4cast, chattermail, mundu messenger (changed my mind since my other comments about it), applock (to keep prying eyes out of my pictures), filez, treomemo (absolutely love this app), and kinoma 4.x.
    I also have a little app called Idea pad, it came in handy when I was building an HACMP cluster (Unix talk).

Have fun with your Treo, don't install too much at once, some of these apps have hiccups, and always try before you buy.

Oh yeah, I forgot about the vox mobile client for blogging.
    Im gonna have to check out launcherx then and Im definatly interested in installing some useful apps. But of all the apps you listed are they installed on your Palm itself or on your SD card? I dont want to install these things wrong and screw up my phone. I was also reffered to Butler....any opinions? And currently Im using Wireless Sync thru Verizon for email but I believe it only syncs every 15 minutes or so..? Is chattermail a push email application? I would like my emails sent to my phone a bit quicker...Im sorry Im such a n00b but i appreciate all your help. You guys really know your stuff!
    Quote Originally Posted by cathartic8881 View Post
    Im gonna have to check out launcherx then and Im definatly interested in installing some useful apps. But of all the apps you listed are they installed on your Palm itself or on your SD card? I dont want to install these things wrong and screw up my phone. I was also reffered to Butler....any opinions? And currently Im using Wireless Sync thru Verizon for email but I believe it only syncs every 15 minutes or so..? Is chattermail a push email application? I would like my emails sent to my phone a bit quicker...Im sorry Im such a n00b but i appreciate all your help. You guys really know your stuff!
    Lots of people love butler, I have no use for it.
    The apps I mentioned I installed on the device. I originally had treomemo on the card but it was a bit slow. The apps I have on my card are notepad, the ptunes update, vox, and games. Of course I have lots pictures and music installed on the card too.
    I tried installing mundu on the card but it didn't like that very much.
    Zlauncher will sync up just like any other program. I don't find it too busy. Quite the contrary, I LOVE the customization options. There are a lot of themes and iconsets out there for Zlauncher, and you can make your launcher a thing of beauty with it. In my opinion there's nothing out there that can touch it. I had LauncherX years ago, and it was nice but it was no Zlauncher.

Butler is very handy, although I don't use all of the features of it. The ones I do use make it worth the price of admission. I would highly recommend it if you have need.

As others have said, be careful and only install one app at a time...that way you can tell if it doesn't work well on the 700p. If it crashes, head into your phone app and do a ##377# and it will tell you what crashed the system. I have been using the dbcache tool and Resco locker on my Treo and my crashes have pretty much disappeared.

Don't worry too much about damaging your phone. Worst case, you can hard reset and restore it to factory settings. I would highly recommend a good backup program. I use Backupman, but I know that others use NVbackup (which is free) with good results.
    Global Posts
    603 Global Posts
    What I would suggest is you find out if these appz are compatable. Just because they are out there does not mean they have been proven to work with the 700P.

It's my belief that alot of these appz are the causse of many issues people are having with the phone...
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cathartic8881 View Post
    And currently Im using Wireless Sync thru Verizon for email but I believe it only syncs every 15 minutes or so..? Is chattermail a push email application?

Wireless Sync is push email. Go to www.wirelesssync.vzw.com , loggon, then Setup>Add Sync Device (if you havent yet) or Setup>Account>Push Settings>Push all email. If you dont have an unlimited data plan it might get expensive, though. On the Treo go to Wireless_Sync>settings>when to sync, check "push".

What did that 4GB card go for?
  14.    #14  
    I got a scandisk 4gig on ebay for 75 bucks. ok so last night I was determined to stream XM on my phone and after some tinkering I fugured it out. so tonight I am determined to install Zlauncher(it seems more customizable and that's important) and figure out why I can't stream video. I have gone to different sites like google video and tried to watch the videos but when I hit stream its opens kimona and gives me an error message. I read a little about orb and in another thread there was a link to an orb test site so I went to it and was able to view the sample videos. I'm wondering if I need to upgrade kimona (i believe that's what its called) in order to view streaming video from these other sites? I am using the version that was preinstalled upon purchase of the phone. any help would be great! thanks for all the useful info thus far! I'm learning more and more about this phones capabilities everyday!
  15.    #15  
    Ok, I have been reading threads all night.

I noticed when people are naming their favorite apps they list either Kinoma OR PTunes Deluxe....is there a need for both of them?

I know the PTunes upgrade has more choices and is streaming audio capable....but right now Im streaming audio online thru Kimona....so if I purchase the PTunes will I no longer use Kimona for streaming audio?

Man, Im confused. I know Kimona is used for video...just not sure if its worth the 25 bucks...
    Nobody has mentioned it, but I'd recommend getting NVBackup (free) to backup your phone to your SD card. Set it up to take a backup automatically every night. I'd also recommend taking a seperate backup before each new program install. After installing each app, test it thoroughly. If the new program makes your phone unstable, you can hard reset the 700P (erasing everything) and restore from the backup you took before the program was installed.

All this is possible with hotsync, but it's very slow compare to NVBackup. Also, hotsync doesn't help you when you are not near your PC. Your SD card is always with you. So if you phone dies on the road to Dubuque, you don't have to wait till you get home to restore your contacts, programs etc...

Also if you have a lot of passwords and can't remember them all I highly recommend gnukeyring. You can find it at sourceforge.net (free). It will let you store and encrypt all your passwords, account numbers and anything else you want to keep secret and close by.

Kinoma EX 4.0 ($) is great. I use it to watch youtube and google videos. Youtube videos are accessible only through the mobetube site. There is a similar site for google videos (I forgot the name).

-Stew
    It's really best to get a "cleanup" program and a reliable backup program before you start experimenting with new apps...go slow and only use apps you know are compatible with the 700p.

The Neatfreak pack has Uninstall Manager and Cleanup...you can purchase them separately if you would rather, but they are both great.

http://mytreo.net/downloads/details-847.html

These are some backup programs. The most popular around here are BackupMan, BackupBuddy and NVBackup...

http://mytreo.net/downloads/modules....=search&query=

Good luck!
  18.    #18  
    Alright. So what Im going to do is download NVbackup to my SD card prior to installing any other new programs? So far the only apps Im positive I want to purchase is LauncherX, PTunes Deluxe and Kinoma EX 4.0. So I am assuming it is neccasary to have Delux PTunes for ALL streaming audio and Kinoma EX4.0 for streaming video, right?

I think the best thing to do is explain what I want my Treo to do and then maybe I can get the exact insight I need.
    I want to
    -stream audio/mainly my XM subscription but I want the ablility to stream any and all audio via the internet.
    -stream video via Youtube/Google video and I would like to watch live TV but I dont think I am capable of doing that based on how difficult ORB seems to use.
    -want my phone FULLY customizable. I have Minitones for mp3 conversion for ringtones but I want to be able to customize more, like a specific ringtone for a specific contact when they send a text message, not the same alert for ALL SMS.
    -and I want to change the skins on my phone. basically, Im a girl and i want a pretty back ground- haha! Right now the only thing I can do is add a picture to the background of the phone app, I would like to be able to make the entire launcher/interface customized with graphics and such.

SO, if anyone can point me in the right direction as to the best apps for the things I would like to do I would GREATLY appreciate it. As I said I have been reading through this forum for days and have yet to add anything to my phone for fear of screwing it up or wasting money.

I have my 4GB memory card with nothing on it. I was planning on installing some apps on there. The only thing I am sure i am installing on there is NVbackup after that Im still kinda confused...

TIA for any feedback, I totally owe you guys a beer or something for all your help
    -
    I use Colorize to customize the background colors...

http://mytreo.net/downloads/details-209.html

My 650 is maroon and a soft peachy color to match my Rafael's Cherubs wallpaper. My 680 is hot pink and light pink...

I don't run any apps from my 8gb card. There's so much internal memory, I'm not even under 40mb, with about 95 apps. I only put music and movies on my card...
  20.    #20  
    ok, I get it Im gonna hot sync NVbackup directly to my device so it backs up all my app and stuff TO my SD card....that makes sense. Im not going to directly install NVbackup TO THE card.

Also, yesterday I was listening to XM on my 700p via Blazer and Kimona and today it wont work what happened? every time Kimona opens it gives me and unsupported file error message....what am I doing wrong? I dont think I changed anything between yesterday and today. I WANT MY XM!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast