Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    Will the Treo 680 work with a Win 98 pc? I mean sync, Palm Desktop for example.

John
    I don't think it will with the new Palm Desktop. Someone may have hacked it somewhere along the line tho. Do a forum search and see.

Windows 98 ... just seeing that in the title sent shivers up my spine.
    Patrick Horne
    Palm Desktop for the 650 wasn't supposed to work with Windows 98, but it did, in fact I just synched this morning. my experience has been that programs will install unless there's a hook in the installation routine preventing it -- and if you install successfully you should be just fine.
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rayfield View Post
    Palm Desktop for the 650 wasn't supposed to work with Windows 98, but it did, in fact I just synched this morning. my experience has been that programs will install unless there's a hook in the installation routine preventing it -- and if you install successfully you should be just fine.
    I would be glad if the Treo 680 works with Win 98.

Many software vendors claim that their products work only with Win 2000 & higher when in fact it they will work with Win 98.

Maybe they say that because they won't support their products running Win 98 which is a discontinued OS.

John
    Quote Originally Posted by Brjlk View Post
    I would be glad if the Treo 680 works with Win 98.

Maybe they say that because they won't support their products running Win 98 which is a discontinued OS.

John
    That's exactly right. It may work but they don't want to guarantee support for it.
    at&t Treo 680, SW 2.11-ATT
    Cingular Treo 650 Unlocked, SW 1.17-CNG/FW 1.51
    I don't belive the current desktop that works for the 680 supports Windows 98. Palm still has a desktop for Windows 98 (4.1.4) but it doesn't support the Treo 680 (at least officially). If you go to this page:

http://www.palm.com/us/support/downl...n_desktop.html

and enter you phone and OS type, it will take you to this page:

http://www.palm.com/us/support/downloads/noversion.html

which says no version is available for this combination. But it also says that for the 650, which people say works fine. I remember one of the big issues with Windows 98 was the lack of USB support. That was corrected with 98SE to a certain extent.

Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mistercoffee1 View Post
    That's exactly right. It may work but they don't want to guarantee support for it.
    If Win 98SE works for my programs, I prefer to spend the money buying a few Palm softwares than upgrade my OS

John
    Last edited by Brjlk; 02/28/2007 at 08:59 PM.
    If Win 98SE works for my programs, I prefer to spend the money buying a few Palm softwares than upgrade my OS

John

Just remember that Win 98 SE is over 8 years old and Microsoft has discontinued active support for it, including security patches and the like. Out of curiosity, are you still using the same cell phone from 8 years ago?

Quote Originally Posted by ivhs72 View Post
    Just remember that Win 98 SE is over 8 years old and Microsoft has discontinued active support for it, including security patches and the like. Out of curiosity, are you still using the same cell phone from 8 years ago?

except that going from 98->XP is more like going from a 650 to a 680, but (in my case & probably Brjlk's) with a feeling of being extorted.
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rayfield View Post
    except that going from 98->XP is more like going from a 650 to a 680, but (in my case & probably Brjlk's) with a feeling of being extorted.
    That's it! I do not want to be extorted

John
    I'm sure Windows 3.1 and DOS users feel extorted in the same way.

But there comes a time when technology moves on and you have to upgrade across the board to get the full benefits of it. Expecting a cutting edge product in 2007 like the Treo 680 to work with an 8 or 9 year old product like Windows 98 that is not even being supported it manufacturer is a little too much. It just isn't cost effective for them to do that. Remember that Palm has discontinued active developement for the 650 since it is a discontinued product as far as they are concerned. You can't buy it from them anymore. In a few years you'll have the same problem if you want to get it fixed or replaced.
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    I don't belive the current desktop that works for the 680 supports Windows 98. Palm still has a desktop for Windows 98 (4.1.4) but it doesn't support the Treo 680 (at least officially).
    My Treo 680 has just arrived. I will give a feedback about compatibility with Win 98SE here.

John
    I'm sure Windows 3.1 and DOS users feel extorted in the same way.

But there comes a time when technology moves on and you have to upgrade across the board to get the full benefits of it. Expecting a cutting edge product in 2007 like the Treo 680 to work with an 8 or 9 year old product like Windows 98 that is not even being supported it manufacturer is a little too much.
    pardon me, he's not "expecting" a blessed thing, he's simply asking if there's a way he can avoid having to pay a considerable amount of money and go to some trouble in order to use a single program, since he has no other need to "upgrade." and I am pointing out that it was possible, there's no particular reason it shouldn't be possible since there isn't anything particularly fancy involved, is there? moving files to a USB device? organizing a calendar?
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    My Treo 680 has just arrived. I will give a feedback about compatibility with Win 98SE here.

John
    Well, Palmdesktop runs on Win 98 SE, but not hotsync. Time to upgrade

John
    Windows 98.....DAMN! lol