Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. Brjlk's Avatar
    Posts
    112 Posts
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
       #1  
    Will the Treo 680 work with a Win 98 pc? I mean sync, Palm Desktop for example.

    John
  2. #2  
    I don't think it will with the new Palm Desktop. Someone may have hacked it somewhere along the line tho. Do a forum search and see.

    Windows 98 ... just seeing that in the title sent shivers up my spine.
    Patrick Horne
  3. #3  
    Palm Desktop for the 650 wasn't supposed to work with Windows 98, but it did, in fact I just synched this morning. my experience has been that programs will install unless there's a hook in the installation routine preventing it -- and if you install successfully you should be just fine.
  4. Brjlk's Avatar
    Posts
    112 Posts
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
       #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by rayfield View Post
    Palm Desktop for the 650 wasn't supposed to work with Windows 98, but it did, in fact I just synched this morning. my experience has been that programs will install unless there's a hook in the installation routine preventing it -- and if you install successfully you should be just fine.
    I would be glad if the Treo 680 works with Win 98.

    Many software vendors claim that their products work only with Win 2000 & higher when in fact it they will work with Win 98.

    Maybe they say that because they won't support their products running Win 98 which is a discontinued OS.

    John
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Brjlk View Post
    I would be glad if the Treo 680 works with Win 98.

    Maybe they say that because they won't support their products running Win 98 which is a discontinued OS.

    John
    That's exactly right. It may work but they don't want to guarantee support for it.
    at&t Treo 680, SW 2.11-ATT
    Cingular Treo 650 Unlocked, SW 1.17-CNG/FW 1.51
  6. #6  
    I don't belive the current desktop that works for the 680 supports Windows 98. Palm still has a desktop for Windows 98 (4.1.4) but it doesn't support the Treo 680 (at least officially). If you go to this page:

    http://www.palm.com/us/support/downl...n_desktop.html

    and enter you phone and OS type, it will take you to this page:

    http://www.palm.com/us/support/downloads/noversion.html

    which says no version is available for this combination. But it also says that for the 650, which people say works fine. I remember one of the big issues with Windows 98 was the lack of USB support. That was corrected with 98SE to a certain extent.

  7. Brjlk's Avatar
    Posts
    112 Posts
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
       #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by mistercoffee1 View Post
    That's exactly right. It may work but they don't want to guarantee support for it.
    If Win 98SE works for my programs, I prefer to spend the money buying a few Palm softwares than upgrade my OS

    John
    Last edited by Brjlk; 02/28/2007 at 08:59 PM.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Brjlk View Post
    If Win 98SE works for my programs, I prefer to spend the money buying a few Palm softwares than upgrade my OS

    John

    Just remember that Win 98 SE is over 8 years old and Microsoft has discontinued active support for it, including security patches and the like. Out of curiosity, are you still using the same cell phone from 8 years ago?

  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by ivhs72 View Post
    Just remember that Win 98 SE is over 8 years old and Microsoft has discontinued active support for it, including security patches and the like. Out of curiosity, are you still using the same cell phone from 8 years ago?

    except that going from 98->XP is more like going from a 650 to a 680, but (in my case & probably Brjlk's) with a feeling of being extorted.
  10. Brjlk's Avatar
    Posts
    112 Posts
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
       #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by rayfield View Post
    except that going from 98->XP is more like going from a 650 to a 680, but (in my case & probably Brjlk's) with a feeling of being extorted.
    That's it! I do not want to be extorted

    John
  11. #11  
    I'm sure Windows 3.1 and DOS users feel extorted in the same way.



    But there comes a time when technology moves on and you have to upgrade across the board to get the full benefits of it. Expecting a cutting edge product in 2007 like the Treo 680 to work with an 8 or 9 year old product like Windows 98 that is not even being supported it manufacturer is a little too much. It just isn't cost effective for them to do that. Remember that Palm has discontinued active developement for the 650 since it is a discontinued product as far as they are concerned. You can't buy it from them anymore. In a few years you'll have the same problem if you want to get it fixed or replaced.
  12. Brjlk's Avatar
    Posts
    112 Posts
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
       #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by ivhs72 View Post
    I don't belive the current desktop that works for the 680 supports Windows 98. Palm still has a desktop for Windows 98 (4.1.4) but it doesn't support the Treo 680 (at least officially).
    My Treo 680 has just arrived. I will give a feedback about compatibility with Win 98SE here.

    John
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by ivhs72 View Post
    I'm sure Windows 3.1 and DOS users feel extorted in the same way.



    But there comes a time when technology moves on and you have to upgrade across the board to get the full benefits of it. Expecting a cutting edge product in 2007 like the Treo 680 to work with an 8 or 9 year old product like Windows 98 that is not even being supported it manufacturer is a little too much.
    pardon me, he's not "expecting" a blessed thing, he's simply asking if there's a way he can avoid having to pay a considerable amount of money and go to some trouble in order to use a single program, since he has no other need to "upgrade." and I am pointing out that it was possible, there's no particular reason it shouldn't be possible since there isn't anything particularly fancy involved, is there? moving files to a USB device? organizing a calendar?
  14. Brjlk's Avatar
    Posts
    112 Posts
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
       #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Brjlk View Post
    My Treo 680 has just arrived. I will give a feedback about compatibility with Win 98SE here.

    John
    Well, Palmdesktop runs on Win 98 SE, but not hotsync. Time to upgrade

    John
  15. #15  
    Windows 98.....DAMN! lol

Posting Permissions