Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    "Sprint & Verizon Treo 700p Maintenance Release Information
    Separately, Palm has also confirmed to me that it is working on a maintenance release for the Treo 700p to address many of the issues raised by owners. It will become available as soon as it is completed and has been certified by Sprint and Verizon most probably within the next two months. Ill naturally keep you updated with news on this front "

http://blog.treonauts.com/

I hope they provide a method for backing it out in case the update has an adverse effect.
    I did three updates on my 600 (no problems) and one on the 650 (no problems). If you have the memory available and the unit fully charged, there should be no problem. Ben
    Not trying to be smart, but you can do an update on one unix server and have no problems, then do the same update on a different unix server and break several things.

Just because it works well somewhere doesn't mean it will work well everywhere.
    I had 1 update quit on it own during the write and it wiped out my ESN info. Phone was bricked. Took it to a service center and had it replaced same day...Gotta love TEP!

The next one and several others worked fine. I'v done probably 10 of them over the last 2.5 years with only this one problem.
    Visor Platinum-->Visor NEO--->M505--->Treo 300 Sprint--->Treo 600---> TREO 650 ---> Treo 700P ---> Treo 755 --->Touch Diamond--->Touch Pro ---> Palm Pre
    Check out the expert judges at http//:mobileappsshowdown.com
  6.    #6  
    instead of talking about the negatives of this update, we should think about some positives, like the fixes toward big issues such as the bluetooth and the lag with white screen....

maybe they will even add the driver so that treo can be compatible with SDHC cards, instead of using the hack
    My point is this.

Let's say I have an app on my Treo that I can't do without and it currently works just fine.
    Then I put on the update and the app no longer works, but I really need it.

I would hope that I can just backoff the update and get my app working again vs being forced to stick with the update and not have the app.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pool_shark View Post
    My point is this.

Let's say I have an app on my Treo that I can't do without and it currently works just fine.
    Then I put on the update and the app no longer works, but I really need it.

I would hope that I can just backoff the update and get my app working again vs being forced to stick with the update and not have the app.
    If I were you, I'd be patient. Let the update filter its way through the community and then see if there is a conflict with your particular application (that you can't live without). Better to wait a week or two than paint yourself into a corner and be left without your application. Just my two cents.
    Global Posts
    219 Global Posts
    What is a maintenance release?
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    Well, looks like we are overlooking this statement:

It will become available as soon as it is completed and has been certified by Sprint and Verizon – most probably within the next two months.

Another two months! I heard that it should come anytime soon but now it's within next two months - we are talking April or even May. Yikes.
    T R E O s t i l l R O C K S - to a certain extent
    Current: AT&T Tilt/HTC 8925/Kaiser
    Retired: AT&T Treo 750, VZW Treo 650, 700p, *700w, *700wx (* = loaner phone from Palm)
    Tried: AT&T Samsung Blackjack i607
    I hope they provide a method for backing it out in case the update has an adverse effect.
    LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by vMAC View Post
    What is a maintenance release?
    It usually refers to a release that fixes known problems but does not include any new functionality.
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    If I were you - and to be clear, I'm not - but if I were, this is what I would do prior to loading ANY major update:

I'm going to do an up-to-the-minute-update with NVBackup. Then, I am going to do a factory reset on my 700P BEFORE loading the update (providing it ever sees the light of day, naturally!) Then, I am going to load up my latest NVBackup backup and cross my fuggin' fingers.

Yep. That's what I'M gonna do...

SMEGGIE
    Yer pal,

SMEGGIE

A bigger Treo fan than I'll admit.
    Quote Originally Posted by haroldo View Post
    If I were you, I'd be patient. Let the update filter its way through the community and then see if there is a conflict with your particular application (that you can't live without). Better to wait a week or two than paint yourself into a corner and be left without your application. Just my two cents.
    I'm not debating that.
    I wouldn't jump right on it anyway. I don't do that with my Unix servers and I won't do it with my Treo.

Again, you can patch one server and have everything run fine, and you can patch the development server (which is a copy of the production server), yet something goes wrong. I've had it happen many times.

All I want is a way to back it off after applying it, instead of trying it and being stuck with it.
    Patches can be backed out from AIX, Solaris, and HP-UX, so I should be able to backout of a palm os patch.
    Last edited by pool_shark; 02/28/2007 at 12:59 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by webedc View Post
    Another two months! I heard that it should come anytime soon but now it's within next two months - we are talking April or even May. Yikes.
    Well, it looks like the other option would be not at all...

Especially with it nearing it's EOL.

Gary
    Sprint Treo 755p (previously Sprint Treo 700p, Sprint i500, Sprint i330 [yuk], Sprint i300, Sprint StarTac, Verizon StarTac)
    Mac 12" 1.5 GHz PowerBook (Constantly tethered to my Treo)
    Gary Said... (my blog) or The Daily Meme
    I'm not debating that.
    I wouldn't jump right on it anyway. I don't do that with my Unix servers and I won't do it with my Treo.

Again, you can patch one server and have everything run fine, and you can patch the development server (which is a copy of the production server), yet something goes wrong. I've had it happen many times.

All I want is a way to back it off after applying it, instead of trying it and being stuck with it.
    Patches can be backed out from AIX, Solaris, and HP-UX, so I should be able to backout of a palm os patch.
    He just told you how to back it off. Do a hard reset and re-install from backup.

Developers who work with systems that cannot come down for the purpose of backing out a disorderly appl will tell you that the backout capability may be non-trivial.
    I don't think it's negativity. It is reality. If you have an employee who is late 264 days out of the year to work & you say to your coworkers "I hope Henry is not going to be late today"... I think we all are familiar with Palm's behavioral patterns & do not have much faith in them.
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray View Post
    He just told you how to back it off. Do a hard reset and re-install from backup.

Developers who work with systems that cannot come down for the purpose of backing out a disorderly appl will tell you that the backout capability may be non-trivial.
    But a hard reset will only take you to a bare ROM. If this patch is a ROM update that rewrites the ROM (which I thought it was supposed to be but it might not), then you have no way to going back to the original ROM other than replacing the phone or use a hacked ROM if someone is quick on using the ROM toolkit.
    Global Posts
    113 Global Posts
    Isn't it hilarious that everyone is getting excited (again!!!) about an update that's not even close to being released. Another two months (assuming that it takes that long) is definitely out of Palm's 1st qtr target.

Awesome...great job Palm...way to provide world class product offerings and customer service. In fact, I'm sure my new Treo "Sherlock" will finally be able to do all of the things (well) that were promised on my 650. What a joke...
    Perfect. That'll be just about the time that I jump ship from the Palm platform that I've used since 1996 to the Apple iPhone. And believe me, that'll be a postive move.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast