Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    what about the possibility of palm "fixing" the tethering hack?
    A link to the thread is directly under all of my posts. It says, "***** Click here... info on 700p firmware update.", or something similar (I am on mobile Treo right now).
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    duh...thx
    BB GoAmerica > BB Earthlink > Verizon Treo 600 > Sprint Treo 650 > Sprint Treo 700p > Sprint Treo 755p & Sprint MotoQ
    Quote Originally Posted by xchpstang View Post
    Add to that the fact that I have a heavy investment in Palm software and I definitely can't make the jump to Windows.
    This is one thing that really tweaks me - for the most part developers are offering NO discount for their PalmOS licensees making the jump over to WinceMob. Having to repurchase all the apps at 100% that I've already purchased at 100% for the PalmOS is a definite negative consideration.

The last time I tried StyleTap was a while ago, but if that application continues development it might make a forced migration bearable. But if a small group like StyleTap can figure out something like this - you'd think Palm has the potential to build an even better version into their WinceMob build and that could make the bridge.

I agree with the previous poster that WM5 isn't much ready for prime time (esp on the treo) that PPC 2003 was. M$ may win by brute force of financial mass, but IMHO PalmOS is still the best interface for a mobile device (esp the Treo).
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joad View Post
    This is one thing that really tweaks me - for the most part developers are offering NO discount for their PalmOS licensees making the jump over to WinceMob. Having to repurchase all the apps at 100% that I've already purchased at 100% for the PalmOS is a definite negative consideration. ..........
    This assumes that there is a WM version of all our apps. Do you know, or even believe, that is true? Does DA run on WM? PDANet? PDAReach? Backup Buddy? Softick Audio Gateway? TomTom? eWallet? SplashShopper? Documents to Go? Not to mention all those that would not por to the 650.
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray View Post
    This assumes that there is a WM version of all our apps. Do you know, or even believe, that is true? Does DA run on WM? PDANet? PDAReach? Backup Buddy? Softick Audio Gateway? TomTom? eWallet? SplashShopper? Documents to Go? Not to mention all those that would not por to the 650.
    DA does not work on the 700WX (no more support)!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by morningstar1844 View Post
    DA does not work on the 700WX (no more support)!!!
    I would characterize DA as "essential."
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray View Post
    I would characterize DA as "essential."
    Excellant free application so I do not have to subscribe to "On Demand" which I still use for movie look up ect.
    Global Posts
    257 Global Posts
    I can see Palm doing 1 of 2 things here:

**Please note: this is my speculation. There are no facts to back any of this up!**

1) They don't have enough "new" features to promote their 755p so they don't want to make a good update for the 700p in hopes of making the 755p look better! Basically, they want to suck as much money out of us by forcing us to buy a new device for these much-needed updates (Congrats! We PAID Palm to be their beta-testers!).
    2) The 755p is a minor Hardware update to the 700p (internal antenna) and they will incorporate the same or similar software into the 700p update as what will ship on the 755p. If this is the case, then they are waiting to finalize the 755p's POS before shipping the update.

Personally, I'd like to see the 2nd option since Palm owes there tried&true users the stable product they originally promised (with the extra new 755 features as reconciliation for the wait and putting up with their poorly done and rushed-to-market POS on the 700p). Sadly though, I can see them taking the 1st option and giving us a half-hearted update to keep them from getting a Class-action law suit or to at least shut us up.

Either way though, it will be nice to [hopefully] have a stable 700p!
    Global Posts
    107 Global Posts
    After paying full price for my 650 the day it came pout, and after going through 9 Freakin 650's before I finally made Sprint sell me a 700P for $150.00. However, given Palm's lack of support and Sprint's lack of knowledge on how to support Treo's, I am at the point where if my current 700P craps-out on me, I will be getting even !

In other words, I will hound Sprint's Executive Services division (the only people who will listen to your complaints and at least pretend to care), I will be asking for a FREE upgrade to the 755p should it appear before a ROM update to fix the rediculous bugs that exist. If that doesn't work, I will file a BBB complaint against Palm. I'm not buying anymore software for this damn thing since I will be forced to switch to the iPhone 2.0 in about a year.....
    whoa nine 650's!! I would have jumped ship away treos after 3 or so... you have way more patience than me...
    HTC Touch Pro
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    I am done, 700P should be a great solution but the lag/freeze causes too much frustration, lost calls, and other issues and there has been far more than enough time to fix it.

I am going to look at the VX6700 and if it is not a viable solution, the Dash seems like something that makes some sense. I have had it with Palm, I have been stupidly loyal and for what? Palm is in no position to lose a customer but they have. No news, no acknowledgement of a serious problem, and no fixes, what in the world am I doing this for? To save a couple of hundred buck in early termination fees and a phone that is seriously problematic? I see posts that say everything is peachy and that's simply bull! I use this device far more than the average and it is slow and buggy and no one can fix it. Deleting a few 3rd party apps that comprise a lot of the reason I bought a device like this is hardly a solution.
    Never underestimate the power of freedom!

Treo 600, 650, 700P and now 755P.
    Well, maybe if I had the problems you do I'd feel the same way....but I have had no lag or freeze problems at all. I don't have an overwheming need for Bluetooth, so as far as I'm concerned the phone works just fine for my purposes. I'd like to see an update, but even without one the phone meets my expectations.
    Quote Originally Posted by perry_rob View Post
    Well, I hate to say it but I am getting kind of frustrated as well. I may be looking at alternatives. WinMobile is not one of them.

Although I hated my 7280 BB the new 8800 looks very interesting to me. http://www.blackberry8800.com/functi...ewfeatures.jsp
    Whenever Verizon comes out with their version, I will probably jump ship to it as well!!
    yeah I've had a least 8 650's and 5 700p.
    I'm StayFly, its not just a name its a lifestyle, so get some style in your life
    Quote Originally Posted by davidra View Post
    Well, maybe if I had the problems you do I'd feel the same way....but I have had no lag or freeze problems at all. I don't have an overwhelming need for Bluetooth, so as far as I'm concerned the phone works just fine for my purposes. I'd like to see an update, but even without one the phone meets my expectations.
    The problem is Palm should meet their own expections. We you sell somebody some merchandise that merchandise should do everything that is promise. Palm enjoy screwing us, because we pay them. Palm is our high price male gigolo. I am getting tried of Palm screwing my ****.
    Quote Originally Posted by WhoAmI View Post
    I can see Palm doing 1 of 2 things here:

**Please note: this is my speculation. There are no facts to back any of this up!**

1) They don't have enough "new" features to promote their 755p so they don't want to make a good update for the 700p in hopes of making the 755p look better! Basically, they want to suck as much money out of us by forcing us to buy a new device for these much-needed updates (Congrats! We PAID Palm to be their beta-testers!).
    2) The 755p is a minor Hardware update to the 700p (internal antenna) and they will incorporate the same or similar software into the 700p update as what will ship on the 755p. If this is the case, then they are waiting to finalize the 755p's POS before shipping the update.

Personally, I'd like to see the 2nd option since Palm owes there tried&true users the stable product they originally promised (with the extra new 755 features as reconciliation for the wait and putting up with their poorly done and rushed-to-market POS on the 700p). Sadly though, I can see them taking the 1st option and giving us a half-hearted update to keep them from getting a Class-action law suit or to at least shut us up.

Either way though, it will be nice to [hopefully] have a stable 700p!
    What if our new 755's STILL HAVE THE LAG??? (We are in big trouble again). The 680 to my understanding does have the lag too. Is not the 750 the same hardware design as the 700 (well basically)?
    If the 755 is an antenna-less 700P with all the same issues. . . . .

WOW. . . . . .

Well let me just put it this way . . . the death of a company will have been secured.
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden View Post
    If the 755 is an antenna-less 700P with all the same issues. . . . .

WOW. . . . . .

Well let me just put it this way . . . the death of a company will have been secured.
    You know when Perry says something like that then Palm is really in deep sh*t.
    Key words were. . . . "all the same issues". . . .

But yes, if Palm were a cat. . . they are on life 6.1 right now . . . they have to hit a triple or a home run very soon.

I can't imagine that the 755 will be my 900P, I will allow them that, but if the 755 is an antenna-less 700p with all the same issues unresolved. . . . .

I am just at a loss for polite words to phrase what my utter disappointment would be. . . . .
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast