Global Posts
    135 Global Posts
    i've read both great things, and horrible things, about the 700p.

i've been a treo user since before the term existed, going way back to the handspring visor. eventually, i combined my celly and my pda, and went the way of the Treo 300.

i've now owned a Treo 600 for a few years.

i'm not someone who needs to have the newest gadget. i tend to replace my devices when their health starts to suffer. and my 600 is starting to show those signs. the screw that holds the antennae in place is gone, replaced by a bit of paper clip and some tape. part of the case itself is starting to crack.

i have a great deal with Sprint that i've had for years, so doing something that involves buying a new device, but losing that great deal, is not something i want to do.

do i buy a nearly new 700p on ebay for 200 bucks if i can find it, or do i want for the next device? and if i do, is there any way to get it cheap, without losing my current service plan?

questions questions questions.

thanks for any replies...

Tree
    I love my 700p. It's definitely worth $200.
    Depends on what you value, honestly. Your plans sounds like it must me ancient (and cheap), so take into consideration that when you get a 700p, Sprint tries to sell you on upgrading your Vision plan to the EVDO. Waiting for the next device (if youre waiting for a Palm OS) may put you on hold for another year. But the jump from a 600 to a 700p is obvious to me. But that is just my opinion.
    Global Posts
    135 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
    Depends on what you value, honestly. Your plans sounds like it must me ancient (and cheap), so take into consideration that when you get a 700p, Sprint tries to sell you on upgrading your Vision plan to the EVDO. Waiting for the next device (if youre waiting for a Palm OS) may put you on hold for another year. But the jump from a 600 to a 700p is obvious to me. But that is just my opinion.
    it is ancient. and cheap. less than 50 bucks for all the minutes i need (not unlimited, but i have gone over minutes twice in like 7 years), unlimited text messaging, and unlimited Vision.

what exactly is the difference between regular vision, and EVDO?
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    I jumped ship from 600 to 700p (both Verizon) for the following:

- EVDO
    - Bluetooth
    - Better screen
    - Better processor

And yes, I made the jump to data and voice connection whereas in my 600 I only had voice. An expensive jump it was, but so far it has been worth it. The EVDO speeds are really something

Now, as I have been suggesting everyone as of late, if you can, wait 1-2 months until Palm releases the ROM update for 700p. Then we will all see if the kinks of the phone dissapear (or at least are mitigated) and thus users like you can be better encouraged to get the phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Treesham View Post
    it is ancient. and cheap. less than 50 bucks for all the minutes i need (not unlimited, but i have gone over minutes twice in like 7 years), unlimited text messaging, and unlimited Vision.

what exactly is the difference between regular vision, and EVDO?
    Yes, you DO have a cheap plan! Wow...wish I could go back to the days of $5 unlimited SMS's...! I dont know if you would have to change your voice plan if you opt to go for PowerVision (EVDO), as I didnt. Just dont let the salesman do it! And express that you do NOT want your voice to be touched! There have been some who complained that their plans were changed without their knowledge!

EVDO is obviously faster than regular Vision, with speeds comparable to DSL. I wouldnt go without it, but I use my Treo for darn near everything!
    If you are a user with some knowledge, then I wouldn't be scared of the 700p. There are a few pitfalls with buggy apps out there, but anyone with a little bit of tech savvy should be able to work through them. There isn't another phone out there with as much possiblity as the 700p. I am very happy with mine. The customization options are bountiful and with some tweaking you can really get this device to do some amazing things. I mean, I can watch movies, listen to music piped wirelessly in stereo to some A2DP headphones, stream satellite radio, keep track of my finances, get real time GPS-guided directions, IM with my friends, check/send email, browse the web, play all my favorite old arcade games, read a book, access all of my data on my 8gb SDHC card, etc. etc. all on my friggin' phone!

That is very cool, and the reason I have stuck with Palm(Os) over the years. Once the update comes out (hopefully soon) this thing is really going to rock.
    Global Posts
    135 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by adjmcloon View Post
    If you are a user with some knowledge, then I wouldn't be scared of the 700p.
    i do have some knowledge. i'm not completely ignorant, but i don't keep up on all the abbreviations and such. but, i'm also a quick learn (had a computer in my home since 1981, as my step-mom is a programmer), so if i actually applied myself to learning what half these terms mean, i'd be good. lol.

i'm definitely concerned about losing my ridiculously cheap voice plan - and i'm not sure how much more it would cost on the web side to go to power vision - but thanks for all the input so far. i've got another day or two to make up my mind.
    Global Posts
    254 Global Posts
    I love my 700p. It's definitely worth $200.
    Where did you get one for $200?
    Will the phones with updated ROM set up be announced here ?
    Meaning, when it's done will it be announced and how will we know we got a device with the new system ?

kj
    This board will ERUPT when the update comes out. There are hundreds, if not thousands of people waiting for the update to fix bluetooth issues, lag, SMS problems, etc.

As I recall the 650 had some issues at first, but eventually Palm finally released some patches and folks were very happy after that.
    Quote Originally Posted by adjmcloon View Post
    This board will ERUPT when the update comes out. There are hundreds, if not thousands of people waiting for the update to fix bluetooth issues, lag, SMS problems, etc.

As I recall the 650 had some issues at first, but eventually Palm finally released some patches and folks were very happy after that.
    The 650 has several serious issues but, back then, several of us were actually corresponding with Plam tech-types that were working on the problem. The assured everyone that the problems were being addressed and even explained what they were trying to do

Then, the fixes started to come out. First there was the leak of the memory fix then the too-bizzare-to-believe "found" SD card with the key to modifying the ROM that got to Shadowmite, then finally the official fix.

Somewhere in this process the tech types stopped openly talking to several of us and email stopped getting responded to. Somebody got in trouble methinks.

This time, no word from people who are actually working on the problems, just the PRPRPR $statements$ $of$ $the$ $execs$. $Hope$ $a$ $fix$ $comes$ $soon$ $though$.
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    The 700P is still a great device despite all of the whining you'll see here. Yeah, it takes some patience, some modification and some expertise but if you can develop these things, it'll work great for you.

I love my Treo 700P...most of the time.

SMEGGIE
    Yer pal,

SMEGGIE

A bigger Treo fan than I'll admit.
    It’s A Challenge For Sure !!!