Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 33
  1.    #1  
    One of the things I wanted for my Treo as soon as I got it last month was a replacement stylus. The fact that it was thin and light was bad enough, but it bent under the least pressure. The top is quite flexible and mkes any extended use a pain. As far as I know, the Boxwave Styra stylus is the first replacement stylus available. I ordered one as soon as I saw it was available and it arrived today.

    The size and shape are constrained by the slot it must fit into and that also constrains the weight somewhat, but it has an all metal shaft that does not bend. It's slightly heavier than the stock stylus, maybe by 1/2 a gram. Not really noticeable but at least it's not lighter. It fits the slot in the Treo a bit more snuggly than the stock stylus. The top twists off to reveal a ballpoint pen. Handy if you ever need it. The tip is your typical plastic stylus tip. The price was $11.95 + $3.50 shipping. It's now found a home in my Treo. If you're looking for a replacement stylus, this may fit the bill.

    Bob
    Palm IIIc=>Sony Clie T665=>Palm T3=>Palm Treo 680
  2. #2  
    wow a ball point pen thats useful

    ill order one too

    link?
  3. #3  
    Somebody on another forum wrote that the reason for the stock 680 having the plastic/metal stylus combination because that particular construction aided in reception. They also theorized that an all-metal stylus would adversly effect reception because it messed with the internal antennae.

    I was looking at this stylus too. Have you had any change in phone reception or call-quality since using it?
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by sigma pi View Post
    wow a ball point pen thats useful

    ill order one too

    link?
    http://www.boxwave.com/products/styr...o-680_2455.htm

    I'd rather get the 3-pack from TreoCentral...
  5. #5  
    oh


    hmm but the pen hmmm

    is it a random person guessing or do they have proof that it does this?
  6. #6  
    hmm my stylus is pretty tight in my phone

    im scared of pulling on the top part of the box wave and having the top of teh pen comming off and having the stylus part being stuck in there

    do you see that happening ever?
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by davistld01 View Post
    Somebody on another forum wrote that the reason for the stock 680 having the plastic/metal stylus combination because that particular construction aided in reception. They also theorized that an all-metal stylus would adversly effect reception because it messed with the internal antennae.

    I was looking at this stylus too. Have you had any change in phone reception or call-quality since using it?
    Yes, you can see that Boxwave never bothered to answer the question:

    http://mytreo.net/forum/index.php/topic,46936.0.html
  8.    #8  
    Let's see now:

    davistld01: I haven't had it long enough to notice any reception difference. I have 4 bars at the moment which is full strength. I'll keep that in mind over the next week or so to see if I notice any difference.

    Christinac130: I believe that the 3-pack uses the same or similar handle as the original. In other words, plastic, which means it will bend. That's one of the things I hate about the stock stylus.

    sigma pi: Thanks Christinac130 for the link. As for the cap coming off, I suppose it could loosen over time. Depends on how much you use the pen. It's on pretty snug plus there's a slight indentation so it snaps into place. I don't use the built-in stylus that much but I wanted something more solid and the pen was a bonus. When I'm at home or at work I use stick-pen stylii. And I'm getting used to doing more without using a stylus.

    Bob
    Palm IIIc=>Sony Clie T665=>Palm T3=>Palm Treo 680
  9. #9  
    thanks for the fast responce
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by ChristieC View Post
    Yes, you can see that Boxwave never bothered to answer the question:

    http://mytreo.net/forum/index.php/topic,46936.0.html
    bump it hehe
  11. #11  
    The TreoCentral 3-pack styli have pens and it looks like they screw on.

    http://store.treocentral.com/content...ries/16-44.htm
  12.    #12  
    The 3-packs are from Palm and they have interchangable barrels because they're for both the 750 and 680. If the barrels are metal, then they will be much more solid than the stock stylus. But if they're plastic, and the ballpoint is in the lower part, then they'll be just as flexible. Since they're from Palm, you should be able to find them in a store and check.

    Of course, if you don't mind the feel of the stock stylus like I did, then the 3-pack would probably be fine.

    Bob
    Palm IIIc=>Sony Clie T665=>Palm T3=>Palm Treo 680
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by ChristieC View Post
    Yes, you can see that Boxwave never bothered to answer the question:

    http://mytreo.net/forum/index.php/topic,46936.0.html
    That is interesting that Boxwave didn't respond to that...and support their product at all. Makes me think that they are aware of reception issues with the all-metal stylus...
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Christinac130 View Post
    The TreoCentral 3-pack styli have pens and it looks like they screw on.

    http://store.treocentral.com/content...ries/16-44.htm
    I ordered the 3-pack when I first ordered my 680 because I wanted to have a replacement stylus on hand in case I lost the first one -- but then, I've never had any problem with the plastic top on the 680 stylus and can't imagine needing to push so hard on the touchscreen that it would be an issue. The only problem with the replacements, from my viewpoint, is that none of them come in colors, so they don't match my beautiful, sexy Crimson!!

    And yes, they do screw on -- the stylus is in 3 sections: the plastic top, which screws into the metal pen part, which screws into the bottom metal non-pen tip.
    Last edited by ChristieC; 02/28/2007 at 04:02 PM.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by ChristieC View Post
    I ordered the 3-pack when I first ordered my 680 because I wanted to have a replacement stylus on hand in case I lost the first one -- but then, I've never had any problem with the plastic top on the 680 stylus and can't imagine needing to push so hard on the touchscreen that it would be an issue. The only problem with the replacements, from my viewpoint, is that none of them come in colors, so they don't match my beautiful, sexy Crimson!!

    And yes, they do screw on -- the stylus is in 3 sections: the plastic top, which screws into the metal pen part, which screws into the bottom metal non-pen tip.
    Marcus mentioned a 3-pack with colors is coming, but not with crimson, copper and arctic The only color I remember (because it's the one I want ) is pink.
  16. #16  
    I've been wanting to get a pen replacement stylus for my 680. Thanks alot for the heads up, wasn't aware that palm had already put one out. I always find a need for a pen.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by sigma pi View Post
    hmm my stylus is pretty tight in my phone

    im scared of pulling on the top part of the box wave and having the top of teh pen comming off and having the stylus part being stuck in there

    do you see that happening ever?
    I had the Boxwave pen/stylus for my 650, and it fit nicely with the OEM battery cover. When I switched to the Seidio cover with the reset hole, the stylus fit a lot more snugly. I was constantly pulling off the pen cap accidentally which left the bulk of the stylus stuck in the Treo. For the 650, that was a little annoying but easily fixed since the stylus silo was accessible by removing the battery cover and pushing the stylus out from within. For the 680, the design of the silo was changed making it more difficult to remove a stuck stylus. For that reason, I chose to go with Palm's screwed on pen/stylus rather than the pull off design offerred by many aftermarket vendors.

    Edit: There was some discussion about this problem in the latter part of this old thread (see my post #122 along with a few others having the same issue) -
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=98931
    Last edited by usskaos1; 02/28/2007 at 06:29 PM.
  18.    #18  
    I'll let you know if I have trouble with reception, or if the top comes off leaving the stylus stuck in the silo. If you don't hear, neither happened to me.

    Bob
    Palm IIIc=>Sony Clie T665=>Palm T3=>Palm Treo 680
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by usskaos1 View Post
    I had the Boxwave pen/stylus for my 650, and it fit nicely with the OEM battery cover. When I switched to the Seidio cover with the reset hole, the stylus fit a lot more snugly. I was constantly pulling off the pen cap accidentally which left the bulk of the stylus stuck in the Treo. For the 650, that was a little annoying but easily fixed since the stylus silo was accessible by removing the battery cover and pushing the stylus out from within. For the 680, the design of the silo was changed making it more difficult to remove a stuck stylus. For that reason, I chose to go with Palm's screwed on pen/stylus rather than the pull off design offerred by many aftermarket vendors.

    Edit: There was some discussion about this problem in the latter part of this old thread (see my post #122 along with a few others having the same issue) -
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=98931
    Thanks

    thats exactly what i was wondering haha
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbd View Post
    I'll let you know if I have trouble with reception, or if the top comes off leaving the stylus stuck in the silo. If you don't hear, neither happened to me.

    Bob

    My top of my stock 680 stylus came off. Well actually, I was fooling with it and pulled it apart. Anyway the stylus got stuck in the 680. It was easy enough to get out, though. I just took the battery cover off and slid it out by grabbing it with a pair of tweezers. Now I've no stylus. 3-pack from Palm replacement should arrive next week. But honestly, I have not missed it that much.

    d-
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions