1.    #1  
    In retrospect, this seems pretty stupid, but I suddenly realized that my camera patch might not have been in the machine for quite a long time. We've discussed that after a hard reset, it probably has to be reinstalled and, indeed, I think that is the case. But here's the problem--you may have checked and been satisfied upon seeing version 3.1 for the cameralib file. I know I was. But now that I just got a new machine shipped to me (I think it was the phono jack that failed because I lost speaker and microphone input), I realized that for the longest time the cameralib file was probably copied back into the machine each time I hotsynced or restored via backupman whether or not I had hard reset sometime in the intervening time. I think, though I'm not sure, that simply copying that file form somewhere in backup or elsewhere, into RAM does not do the trick. After I got this new phone I reinstalled it from the "Camera Update" file from which you originally do the patch. I've saved the Camera UPdate file on my SD card and from now on I'm going to run it once in a while to make sure I haven't lost some of the installation steps.

I say all that because now that I've reinstalled from that file, my battery life has apparently shot back up to what it was right after I originally installed the patch. In any event, I really don't like anecdotal information, even if it's my own, so just take this for what it's worth. (Yes, all this could be due to a new phone, but I backinstalled this to my old phone before returning it, and I think the same improvement showed up on it--I don't know because I didn't use it that long after the new one arrived) As far as I can tell, at the moment, reinstaling from the original patch made a huge difference and I suspect I was walking around for a long time without the patch actually being installed even though the newer version of cameralib showed up when I looked for it. A word to the wise.
    I had to re-install it after a hard reset.
    You're supposed to reinstall the patch after a hard reset because the patch does not get written into the ROM.
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    Even though I bought my 680 after the patch was needed, I would like to know how to find the version number and for the life of me, I can't find it! I've used File Manager in ZLauncher and also used "info" in Category and still can't find it. I'm just curious to see what mine reads.

Thanks for the help anyone!
    Handspring Visor 2mb; Visor Prism; Palm i705; Tungsten2; VZW Treo650; TMO Crimson Treo680; iPhone 3g on TMO edge
    From the built-in launcher (not ZLauncher, etc), hit the menu button then select "Info" (menu-I). At the bottom of the screen, hit the "Version" button. Now use the scroll bar to scroll down until you see the file "CameraLib-camL". Look to the right for the version. It should read "v. 3.1" if the patch is properly installed.
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    Thanks PatrickS. I check on the Palm site and my 680 is suppose to be exempt for the camera patch. Guess what, I see that my version is 3.0. I'll be downloading the patch.
    Handspring Visor 2mb; Visor Prism; Palm i705; Tungsten2; VZW Treo650; TMO Crimson Treo680; iPhone 3g on TMO edge
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrickS View Post
    From the built-in launcher (not ZLauncher, etc), hit the menu button then select "Info" (menu-I). At the bottom of the screen, hit the "Version" button. Now use the scroll bar to scroll down until you see the file "CameraLib-camL". Look to the right for the version. It should read "v. 3.1" if the patch is properly installed.
    The point of my post is that is not sufficient. If cameraLib-caml V. 3.1 was installed but you then do a hard reset, it may reappear after a hotsync or a backupman restore. Although it appears, it is not fully installed, and that was the point of my post. I would install once in a while no matter what--as far as I can tell it does no harm, and you assure yourself that you didn't lose it in some way (I suspect only by hard resetting, but I do that enough that I don't remember, although I think I will now adopt a reinstall into my hard reset routine).
    Quote Originally Posted by mdavis View Post
    The point of my post is that is not sufficient. If cameraLib-caml V. 3.1 was installed but you then do a hard reset, it may reappear after a hotsync or a backupman restore. Although it appears, it is not fully installed, and that was the point of my post. I would install once in a while no matter what--as far as I can tell it does no harm, and you assure yourself that you didn't lose it in some way (I suspect only by hard resetting, but I do that enough that I don't remember, although I think I will now adopt a reinstall into my hard reset routine).
    I'm sure you're right that a reinstall does no harm. As far as your belief that the file could be present without it actually having the desired effect, I'm not so sure. I'm not a Palm software expert so I'd like to hear from someone who is to understand under what conditions this could possibly be true. I would expect that if the file is there, you've done a soft reset since it's been copied back to your Palm, and you've run the Camera app as the instructions demand, then it really ought to work, your personal experience notwithstanding.

Any experts out there able to shed more light on the possibility mdavis suggests?
    Quote Originally Posted by simba View Post
    Thanks PatrickS. I check on the Palm site and my 680 is suppose to be exempt for the camera patch. Guess what, I see that my version is 3.0. I'll be downloading the patch.
    It is possible that you are fine, even with your version reading 3.0. The camera patch might have been the easiest way, but not the best way, to fix the problem. Palm may have been able to effect a different solution internally (perhaps even with a hardware change) and then not have to change software at all. That is possibly why your device is designated exempt while still sporting the 3.0 version of the camera library.
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    Well, I've just downloaded the software. I also downloaded a couple of items which required the device to do a reset. Plus, I finally registered my Treo and had to remove my battery to get my S/N. I checked the camera file and it still reads 3.1 version. I'll check tomorrow and see how the battery level holds out.
  11. tck
    Global Posts
    128 Global Posts
    ...... had to remove my battery to get my S/N. I checked the camera file and it still reads 3.1 version. I'll check tomorrow and see how the battery level holds out.
    You can also get the serial number via Phone/Option/PhoneInfo.

Pls let us know your battery performance after camera patch. For me I followed mdavis' advised & re-install the patch & found the battery level is better behaved.
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    Even though I bought my 680 after the patch was needed, I would like to know how to find the version number and for the life of me, I can't find it! I've used File Manager in ZLauncher and also used "info" in Category and still can't find it. I'm just curious to see what mine reads.

Thanks for the help anyone!
    You mean the serial number?
    If so try this
    http://www.palm.com/us/support/downl...meracheck.html

John
    I'm not wanting to debate that this thread is true or not, but I'd like to bring up the point that the camera patch only installs one or two files into ram.. It doesn't do anything to the ROM, etc...

So why wouldn't re-installing those two files from backup do the same thing as running the updater?

My solution is just don't use the camera.. It sucks anyway