1.    #1  
    I'm considering adding the TomTom GPS resold by Palm. Most of the time it will be plugged into cig lighter in car but sometimes I'd like to go out on foot. Does anyone have experience using the GPS unplugged from car walking around town? I'm worried how fast the battery will drain I was hoping to get 5 hours out of it for a round of golf using GPS-enabled golf software.
    On GPS, battery power disappears faster than a bride's pajamas. But 5 hours is probably doeable. I never plug in my 680 when I use GPS and, though I haven't timed it start to exhaustion, I'd say I get 6-8 hours, which is less than half my normal battery life.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks mdavis, I'll give it a shot.
    I find that on GPS, the battery life is pretty short but it's for realistic reasons... The screen is on constantly, and you might even have the screen brighter than normal so you can see it outside, those two are major hits. The Palm is on constantly, rather than going into sleep mode. And bluetooth (assuming BT GPS) is transferring data constantly. All of those are going to shorten battery significantly.

I Geocache with a bluetooth GPS, and with my 650 with the brightness all the way up on a long hike through a huge park with caches hidden about (therefore the Palm was on for a few hours, off here and there, but mostly on the whole time) I dropped to 40% from probably 85-90% charged. Screen brightness had a lot to do with that (going from 50% to 100% brightness increases the current about 120mA!).

I haven't had time yet to geocache with the 680.. I think I'll have to be more cautious with it or I'll run out of battery! Perhaps I'll bring my 650's battery along, as I usually cache with my Treo in a Aquapac so it'll hold the battery in for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by mceb View Post
    I'm considering adding the TomTom GPS resold by Palm. Most of the time it will be plugged into cig lighter in car but sometimes I'd like to go out on foot. Does anyone have experience using the GPS unplugged from car walking around town? I'm worried how fast the battery will drain I was hoping to get 5 hours out of it for a round of golf using GPS-enabled golf software.
    I use Handmap and a Bluetooth GPS. I recently upgraded from a 650 to the 680. With the 650, I found that using the GPS would work for about 8 hours ... maybe 10 at a stretch. Given that the 680 has 2/3 the battery power, 5 hours for a round of golf sounds reasonable.

Now... the GPS I use sends new coordinates only once per second (I assume to save battery) ... so a GPS that was more active might skew these numbers.
    Is there anyway 2 bluetooth items can work on a 680 at the same time? I have a car with bloothtooth and a Delorme BT-20 GPS. I have tried to use them together but once I get a call I loose the GPS
    It should work. The 680 is specced as connecting to multiple bluetooth devices, and I've connected my BT headset and GPS at the same time and it worked fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post

I Geocache with a bluetooth GPS, and with my 650 with the brightness all the way up on a long hike through a huge park with caches hidden about (therefore the Palm was on for a few hours, off here and there, but mostly on the whole time) I dropped to 40% from probably 85-90% charged. Screen brightness had a lot to do with that (going from 50% to 100% brightness increases the current about 120mA!).

I haven't had time yet to geocache with the 680.. I think I'll have to be more cautious with it or I'll run out of battery! Perhaps I'll bring my 650's battery along, as I usually cache with my Treo in a Aquapac so it'll hold the battery in for me.
    Slightly off-thread here...

khaytus, have you used GeoNiche with your 680 yet? I find that it works fine, but I'm missing the satellite data on the GPS screen. Same goes for Tomtom.
    Can you concur?
    Nope, I get data on the screen. And yes, GeoNiche is terrific. It's much better than any dedicated GPSr in terms of features.

I get information from TomTom too.. So not sure what to think. Works otherwise?

I have a Holux 236, maybe yours only talks in SIRF or something maybe?
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    Nope, I get data on the screen. And yes, GeoNiche is terrific. It's much better than any dedicated GPSr in terms of features.

I get information from TomTom too.. So not sure what to think. Works otherwise?

I have a Holux 236, maybe yours only talks in SIRF or something maybe?
    Well, mine is the Palm GPS Navigator 2, which I'm pretty sure is rebranded Holux GR-230. I guess it must be a hardware issue.
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    where do you all put the bluetooth gps when you're out geocaching? Velcroed to a backpack? Geoniche seems like it would work well. I actually have a Garmin Rino 530 and a Nuvi 360, along with a Socket BT unit, so many different means to navigate with gps!
    Palm III -> Palm V -> Blue Palm Vx w/Omnisky -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680
    Quote Originally Posted by z3bum View Post
    where do you all put the bluetooth gps when you're out geocaching? Velcroed to a backpack? Geoniche seems like it would work well. I actually have a Garmin Rino 530 and a Nuvi 360, along with a Socket BT unit, so many different means to navigate with gps!
    Actually, I have a AquaPac (the keymaster one.. just large enough) and it stays in my cargo jeans all the time. If it's damp out, I'll also put the Treo in an Aquapac large enough for it. That's the only caveat to using the Treo is waterproofness and ruggedness. Waterproof is easily fixed, but just gotta be careful when out. If I'm climbing down something or crossing a slippery stream, I put the Treo in a pocket so I don't drop it. It'll float in the Aquapac, but it could still get damaged.

When I get very close to a cache if I need to zero in I'll take out the GPS unit for a little more accuracy. But it works very well safe in my pocket.