Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Haven't seen this posted here (sorry if it's not new) but I just put it at SU

End Of Life (EOL) estimate for the Sprint 700p is early May

via Phonenews.com:
    http://www.phonenews.com/forums/inde...indpost&p=6274

Good news:

Palm Sherlock 5/14
    – Replaces Treo 700P. Dark blue and Burgundy
    Last edited by Malatesta; 02/27/2007 at 01:07 PM.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Link has been hijacked.
    at&t iPhone3G
  3.    #3  
    fixed

Any clue why the new Palm would be called Sherlock?
    If true...I am getting goose bumps. Hopefully it will be an upgrade to the 680 or 750.
    at&t iPhone3G
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by jaharr View Post
    Any clue why the new Palm would be called Sherlock?
    just a code name, like "norman" was the Moto Q

Hopefully they will come out with something sleeker to compete with the iphone. Chopping the antenna was a good start and gives a better illusion to a sleeker device.
    at&t iPhone3G
    Global Posts
    919 Global Posts
    I'm guessing here but I the Sherlock will be nothing more then a 750 running Palm OS. Of course you all we use I love to see some kind of hardware update or updated OS.
    If true, I would be severely, SEVERELY disappointed with Palm. That would mean that we would have to be stuck with these bugs for nearly the entire life of the phone, from June 2006 to May 2007. Plus I doubt we'd get any support after this Sherlock is released. I liked the palm interface and everything, but (and I reiterate) if this is true, I will never buy another palm again simply because of the way we've been treated and the lack of support by the company.
    He said it so it must be true.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Anything goes at this point. I'm hoping that it either has that new ALP on it that was shown off a few weeks ago, or Palm made some sweet enhancements to the OS since it bought Garnet back from Access late last year.

Do I have that right? It's all so confusing. In any case if it is coming out in May then it should be starting trial soon.
    If God brought you to it He'll bring you thru it!
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    He said it so it must be true.
    There are other threads on this and if you search it is definitely on Topic in the community.
    at&t iPhone3G
    Sherlock?

It better be a Palm OS/Garnet or ALP/POS Linux treo... Since I got my 650 we have had 3 Win (750, 700w & 700wx) versions and only 2 POS (750P & 680) Treos. If the 700W doesn't count because it had too little Memory and the 700wx is it's replacement, there still has not been a replacement for the 700P with all the reported problems it has had (680 is not Evdo).

If Sherlock is coming to Sprint, I guess Verizon won't get it 'til 3-6 months later?

Time for Merlyn to peruse Craig's list again?

I still think Palm should give Merlyn & Perry the first Sherlocks for free, to win-back (or in Perry's case, to keep) their loyalty.
    "Everybody Palm!"

Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
  14.    #14  
    I'm sure info will leak out soon but as long as we are speculating...

For some reason (namely the different color schemes) I'm thinking this is a CDMA 680 w/EvDO Rev A. It'll probably be called the 750p. It just makes sense with what they've done so far.

It would be nice if it were some new device with ALP or something but for some reason, Palm just has been quite disappointing lately.

Quote Originally Posted by Merlyn_3D View Post
    I liked the palm interface and everything, but (and I reiterate) if this is true, I will never buy another palm again simply because of the way we've been treated and the lack of support by the company.
    Quote Originally Posted by duanedude1 View Post
    Sherlock?

It better be a Palm OS/Garnet or ALP/POS Linux treo... Since I got my 650 we have had 3 Win (750, 700w & 700wx) versions and only 2 POS (750P & 680) Treos. If the 700W doesn't count because it had too little Memory and the 700wx is it's replacement, there still has not been a replacement for the 700P with all the reported problems it has had (680 is not Evdo).

If Sherlock is coming to Sprint, I guess Verizon won't get it 'til 3-6 months later?

I still think Palm should give Merlyn & Perry the first Sherlocks for free, to win-back (or in Perry's case, to keep) their loyalty.
    Palm might have to stick a fork in Merlyn because he seems almost done.
    at&t iPhone3G
    <<Palm might have to stick a fork in Merlyn because he seems almost done.>>

And that, my friend, is really sad. Merl went out on a limb for us with the Craig's list deal. They never reimbursed him, I believe.

If they tic off Perry next, then they are indeed ID10t's.
    "Everybody Palm!"

Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
    Quote Originally Posted by duanedude1 View Post
    Sherlock?

LOL

I'm not sure what's up for June -- it probably is a 750 with the PalmOS -- EVEN I would be INCEDIBLY surprised if it is my 900P in June -- I look for the Palm over Linux release to be no earlier than late this Fall (I have a bet going for by 02/29/08). So, in my mind, Sherlock is ether a 750 w/ PalmOS or Hawkins' secret project.

Again, we will have our 700P ROM update before April 1. How much it will fix will be the true test.

Cheers, Perry.
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    I agree with some of the above posters.... if the "Sherlock" is really just a 750p, I do not think that is a bad thing.

By June hopefully Palm will have gotten the ROM fix out to us 700p users, and hopefully it addresses many of the outstanding concerns we have. If they can then squeeze CDMA & EDVO into the smaller 680/750 package and maintain good battery life then a750p would be a good incremental step.

As mentioned above you can't have drastic overhauls every 6-9 months. Incremental steps that make improvements are a good thing. Would you trade in your 700p for a 750p??? No probably not, but then the target market is for new users. How many people would, even for "big" improvements", be coughing up $400 every year to trade up smart phones? Not many... I plan to keep my 700p 3+ years to recoup the costs.

And while I'm an Apple fan I'm personally mixed on the whole iPhone thing. The "sleek" and "Sexy" iPhone is basically the same size as a 680/750... a bit thiner and lighter yes. Get yourself a 750p + $50 for an 8GB SDHC card for close to 1/2 that of an iPhone. Sure the iPhone has more iCandy (pun intended!) but then it will not do EDVO, expansion, business email,.....

I think that Palm's "secret project" is not the Sherlock, and will be out later.... September-ish. I too hope it is a Linux/Wi-fi enable, must have, killer device. We'll see......

JM
    if it is just a 750 with a new jacket on then I would be disappointed as well. so basically we have the same phone since the treo 650... 3 years ago!!
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    Maybe Sherlock is the ROM update!?!?!?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast