Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by Fafafoooey View Post
    Thought: If the 700P is EOL in May, that would make the device only about a year old. Wouldn't that mean that the contract with Verizon/Sprint (usually 2 years) would be void?
    I seriously doubt it. You could make the argument, I'm sure, to get a discount on the new phone, but you're not going to be getting out of a contract because of this.

This whole situation sucks. I used to love Palm. I have been a loyal customer since 1996. Now I can honestly say, I dislike them as much as any horrible company. They need an Apple-like overhaul. Remember how dire the situation Apple was in around 1998, just before Jobs took over? They had one foot in the grave. Palm now has that foot six feet under and this kind of crap is not going to help. The ONLY thing they have going for them is the addiction some people (like myself) have to an aging OS. As soon as something better comes along, which is inevitable since they are not innovating in ANY way, I'll happily jump ship. Oh, and in case I forget to mention it, Palm tech support is now so bad, the English language has no word for it. Horrible, atrocious, terrible, etc.,--not bad enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joad View Post
    Those of us dumb and rich enough to keep buying the latest hoping they've finally fixed it are dwindling in number...
    But Palm is hoping the actual number is still high. This dummy will not support an incremental upgrade, specially if the have a smaller battery and miniSD.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny View Post
    But Palm is hoping the actual number is still high. This dummy will not support an incremental upgrade
    ...that's what I said on the Treo 650... and the Treo 700p... Sometimes I think Palm hires crack dealers to figure us out- we keep coming back for punishment again and again!
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    Palm as an OS, continues to loose ground to Windows( I am not a fan), now with the coming of the Holy Grail, the iPhone, they had best do something special with Sherlock. I do believe their timing of May, just before the iPhone, indicates they have something special in mind. Maybe I am just hopeful, because I cannot believe they will just roll over for Apple as they seem to be doing for Windows. Again IMHO, if this is not NEW phone, you can start the countdown to their ultimate demise, sorry to say.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fafafoooey View Post
    Thought: If the 700P is EOL in May, that would make the device only about a year old. Wouldn't that mean that the contract with Verizon/Sprint (usually 2 years) would be void?
    I have no idea where you see a correlation between your phone's "life" and the service contract. Getting Sprint to stand behind the insurance they collect each month is like pulling teeth already... they will likely deafen you with laughter if you ask them to cancel your contract just because you signed up for another couple years hoping the 700p would actually have decent support from Palm.

Truth is, Palm seems to have played us for fools again - releasing a buggy phone and hoping we'd let them slide on their near total lack of support when we realize our mistake of committing to another couple years of service contract based on this phone.

I guess there's always the option of rolling over the 700p with a steamroller once the "no sh_t Sherlock" issues become bearable enough to accept as an insurance replacement.

I'd like to take this all in stride, but dammit - I can buy an entire decent LAPTOP with the price this silly phone cost me - and the fact Palm can go nearly an entire year without even fixing the most basic issues of the 700p: unreliable handsfree bluetooth and lag - is completely unacceptable. All this time, they had been blaming "the carriers" for the lack of firmware update... but look at this thread:
    http://www.palminfocenter.com/news/9...patch-details/

According to Ryan, "Palm is currently finishing up work on the maintenance release and estimates that is should be available in April depending on carrier certification."

I guess we misunderstood the letter (and a conversation or two I had with Palm reps) as indicating the firmware fix was in the hands of the Carriers a couple months ago. I just reread the letter and notice it's not specific on who is presently in control of the firmware release (but the Rep was).

Wow - it appears we may still have a chance at an ENTIRE MONTH of reliable bluetooth handsfree functionality before the phone goes EOL!! YEAH!!! And an entire year without warranty support from Palm before you're out of contract... so hopefully everyone signed up for insurance on their 700p's.
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    or maybe they will release this shlocky device because they don't care because they are selling Palm.
    For those of us who did get the insurance, doesn't it mean that our replacements are soon going to be shiny new Sherlocks? Surely they wouldn't stick us with a refurb'd, unsupported 700p.
    What, exactly, are the ramifications of Palm EOL'ing a product? Does anyone know what that officially means?
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    This may not be official, but typically in the tech industry when a company EOL's a product, that means support for the product will be limited up to a certain date (i.e. 1 year from now), no new feature development can be expected and in case your device goes berserk (i.e. stops working) you may need to send it in for actual repairs.

This as you can see paints a grim picture if indeed true the 700p is in its last days...
    Well, it looks as if my decision to stick with my 650 until Sprint gets high speed to our area (last word, not until late summer) was a good call.

I went from the 300 to the 650, skipping the 600, and that worked out pretty well, hope this does too.

Perhaps that is the way to go, just do every OTHER Treo, lol
    Well this all pretty much confirms that the 700P was a device with inherent hardware issues that Palm is trying to sweep under the carpet now as quickly as possible. I'm going to venture a guess now that the upcoming update will only feature marginal improvements, possibly at the expense of other features/functionality.

For me I've gotten used to what the 700p can do vs. what it can't (bluetooth). I'll go ahead and live with this thing for another year and re-evaluate the market at that time.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123