Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by samboy View Post
    Maybe Sherlock is the ROM update!?!?!?

(Good one.)
    Last edited by gtwo; 02/27/2007 at 07:35 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden View Post
    A ROM update comming in this fashion?
    at&t iPhone3G
    They're always moving things around. It seems pretty simple. They just need to take an existing device like the Palm TX (WiFI, BT, large screen, 128MB) slap on a camera and a EVDO phone and you're done. I'm not sure where they keep coming up with all these different devices that need updates and such.

Heck, if they just built a palm model properly it seems like they could just create something with a removable back and you add a phone module different ones for different carriers) and they wouldn't have to keep retooling. And pissing off the customers...

Gary
    Sprint Treo 755p (previously Sprint Treo 700p, Sprint i500, Sprint i330 [yuk], Sprint i300, Sprint StarTac, Verizon StarTac)
    Mac 12" 1.5 GHz PowerBook (Constantly tethered to my Treo)
    Gary Said... (my blog) or The Daily Meme
    I'm expecting the Sherlock to be a nice update to the 700p. It'll probably have the 750 form factor, I could see them using the soft touch finish. I also think it will have more internal memory, EV-DO RevA, bt 2.0 (finally bt stereo). I remember Palm said that they would include wifi in future Treos, this might be the first, but who knows. I also suspect that there could be push email out of the box, this is where Marc Blank comes in. The BlackBerry pearl is doing very well for a consumer blackberry device, and the iPhone will also have push email out of the box. Palm can easily accomplish this. These are just my opinions
    Jimmie Geddes
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmieGeddes View Post
    I'm expecting the Sherlock to be a nice update to the 700p. It'll probably have the 750 form factor, I could see them using the soft touch finish. I also think it will have more internal memory, EV-DO RevA, bt 2.0 (finally bt stereo). I remember Palm said that they would include wifi in future Treos, this might be the first, but who knows. I also suspect that there could be push email out of the box, this is where Marc Blank comes in. The BlackBerry pearl is doing very well for a consumer blackberry device, and the iPhone will also have push email out of the box. Palm can easily accomplish this. These are just my opinions
    I doubt that it will have WiFi and BT 2.0 is not needed for BT stereo (it's been available since BT 1.1), but I'd agree with the rest.
    This has to be hooey. But if it is true, the rumors of the 700p would have been alive longer than the phone itself.
    Palm's not realizing that a lot of it's customer-base is loyal to them because they like the interface on the Palm OS as well as the support the company used to provide. However, as we have all learned since June of last year, they don't really think much of us "power users" anymore. The mere fact that Steve Sinclair alluded to that in his response to our letter pissed me off so much. It was basically a slap in the face to anyone who knew a thing or two and was loyal to palm. It was only after the realization and Bob-C's response (I believe it was him) pointing out that many of us are consultants to other people who want to buy a smartphone and have been recommending AGAINST the treo because we have no idea if it's even going to be fixed.

Let me say this, even if the Sherlock is the ideal phone (at this point wishful thinking), if it has just one glaring bug like the 700p several big bugs, I won't risk another large sum of money on it because quite frankly, I don't think I could trust Palm to fix it before it nears the end of it's product life cycle, and at this point, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone, nor would I buy it myself simply because of what's been going on with the 700p coupled with the mediocre (if that) response we've coaxed out of Palm.

The iPhone, on the other hand, now there's a pretty nice package, interface and all, still lacking in some respects, unfortunate that it's Cingular only. I just bought a Macbook Pro and I love it, not only for the OS, the interface and the hardware, but for the fact that if I have ANY problems, Apple's tech support is awesome, and I can even walk it into the local Apple store to get service. Historically (recently), Apple's been good about fixing issues, issuing recalls and correcting problems (like with the first batch of intel macs overheating), and I know if I buy an iPhone from them, if it has bluetooth problems, or software bugs, they will be hammered out with an update or two in a very timely manner.

For now I still have my 700p (on my 4th since Sprint doesn't seem to realize it's not the hardware, it's the software, and they insist on replacing it), and that's simply because I still prefer it to the WM5 interface with with the craptastic bluetooth implementation and outstanding issues, as well as the fact that I spent so much money on the damn thing.

I'm sorry to rant, but I feel like I just can't express enough my disappointment with Palm, their support, and their response.
    Quote Originally Posted by treoneo View Post
    if it is just a 750 with a new jacket on then I would be disappointed as well. so basically we have the same phone since the treo 650... 3 years ago!!
    Exactly... and that's what I'm afraid of.
    If God brought you to it He'll bring you thru it!
    Hopefully it's gonna be the "No Sh_t Sherlock," as opposed to the Treos we've been seeing out of Palm since they bought Handspring....

If this phone is the "fix" for the lag that Palm apparently has no intention to address - my 700p's getting dumped one way or another. Paid full price, but have extended warranty protection.

Palm might consider a very generous trade-up plan for screwing us (once again) on this one... the manufacturer warranty on the 700p may be over for some people before we see a firmware update just making the Bluetooth reliable, and probably never addressing the lag...
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    End Of Life! damn already... well I guess I will have to sit and wait again on the next sprint palm o/s treo... I hope my 650 can hold out...
    Man. So I have to buy a mini sd card now?
    Last edited by aznmode; 02/28/2007 at 02:02 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Merlyn_3D View Post
    Palm's not realizing that a lot of it's customer-base is loyal to them because they like the interface on the Palm OS as well as the support the company used to provide. However, as we have all learned since June of last year, they don't really think much of us "power users" anymore. The mere fact that Steve Sinclair alluded to that in his response to our letter pissed me off so much. It was basically a slap in the face to anyone who knew a thing or two and was loyal to palm. It was only after the realization and Bob-C's response (I believe it was him) pointing out that many of us are consultants to other people who want to buy a smartphone and have been recommending AGAINST the treo because we have no idea if it's even going to be fixed.

Let me say this, even if the Sherlock is the ideal phone (at this point wishful thinking), if it has just one glaring bug like the 700p several big bugs, I won't risk another large sum of money on it because quite frankly, I don't think I could trust Palm to fix it before it nears the end of it's product life cycle, and at this point, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone, nor would I buy it myself simply because of what's been going on with the 700p coupled with the mediocre (if that) response we've coaxed out of Palm.

The iPhone, on the other hand, now there's a pretty nice package, interface and all, still lacking in some respects, unfortunate that it's Cingular only. I just bought a Macbook Pro and I love it, not only for the OS, the interface and the hardware, but for the fact that if I have ANY problems, Apple's tech support is awesome, and I can even walk it into the local Apple store to get service. Historically (recently), Apple's been good about fixing issues, issuing recalls and correcting problems (like with the first batch of intel macs overheating), and I know if I buy an iPhone from them, if it has bluetooth problems, or software bugs, they will be hammered out with an update or two in a very timely manner.

For now I still have my 700p (on my 4th since Sprint doesn't seem to realize it's not the hardware, it's the software, and they insist on replacing it), and that's simply because I still prefer it to the WM5 interface with with the craptastic bluetooth implementation and outstanding issues, as well as the fact that I spent so much money on the damn thing.

I'm sorry to rant, but I feel like I just can't express enough my disappointment with Palm, their support, and their response.
    No need to feel sorry when telling the truth.
    at&t iPhone3G
    I, for one, hope the new 750p or whatever has a faster processor. The processor in the 700p is woefully inadequate to perform the jobs we are asking it to do. since overclocking doesn't seem to be an option with the 700P, it really can't do it's job very well. Streaming video is choppy, Blazer is slow and there are signifigant lags when switching between screens. I'd bet all of this is slow processor and not software issues.
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    I think they code-named it 'Sherlock' so when people start having Treo 700P-like problems with it, Palm support will be able to say:

No Sh_t, Sherlock!!

I wouldn't be surprised to see future Palm models with code-names like: TheresNoWayWeCanFixThis or GotchaAgain...

SMEGGIE
    Yer pal,

SMEGGIE

A bigger Treo fan than I'll admit.
    Global Posts
    304 Global Posts
    anyone else disappointed that the color schemes will be "Dark blue and Burgundy" ?!?!?
    Quote Originally Posted by yOyOYoo View Post
    anyone else disappointed that the color schemes will be "Dark blue and Burgundy" ?!?!?
    The "Dark blue and Burgundy" should have a twist with Sprint. Their colors for the Treo have been different than the other cariers every time. Sprint and Verizon's 700p look like the same grey if you look at at a glance but Sprints has a matalic blueish scheme to the grey witch looks better IMO in comparison to VZW's dull grey. Sprint's Q is a nice shade of grey. They might add some flair to these colors.
    at&t iPhone3G
    A new phone already?!?!?! that sucks!! fix the existing one first... THEN focus on a new phone..

uhg.. whatever happened to a new phone every two years!! how am I to get a new phone if sprint will only front most of the costs every two years!!!

not cool bud!!

"Hey, welcome to the world of smartphones!!! Would you like to bend over now or wait a year to see how much we will continue to take you for!" uhg
    "So long and thanks for all the Treos!"
    I agree BabelFish. I bought the 700pos (pun intended) on day 1. I thought I would have it until '08 with backward capababilty on most of my software. Oh well. When '08 comes, I have to decide if I will stay with the Palm POS
    "I have no idea what you just said, so here is a bunny with a pancake on its head."
    Quote Originally Posted by SMEGGIE View Post
    I think they code-named it 'Sherlock' so when people start having Treo 700P-like problems with it, Palm support will be able to say:

No Sh_t, Sherlock!!
    They are saying it already by EOL'ing yet *another* device that they apparently screwed up so badly they couldn't fix much with a firmware update. If I were a stockholder I'd be pretty pissed - a little R+D in the real world before releasing these devices would save Palm million$ in returns and lost customers. Those of us dumb and rich enough to keep buying the latest hoping they've finally fixed it are dwindling in number...

Maybe this time they'll build the hardware for PalmOS, and then dump the WinceMob OS on top of that (- rather than the other way around)
    Last edited by Joad; 02/28/2007 at 09:38 PM.
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    Thought: If the 700P is EOL in May, that would make the device only about a year old. Wouldn't that mean that the contract with Verizon/Sprint (usually 2 years) would be void?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast