1.    #1  
    I am planning a trip to the island of Kauai and GPS sounds like a useful tool for getting around. Can anyone tell me whether TomTom or Telenav would be better? I do know that EVDO coverage is limited on Kauai.
    Thanks,
    Zane
    Use whichever maps Garmin uses on their units. The maps that TomTom uses aren't as complete (US coverage-wise).
    Quote Originally Posted by IsLNdbOi View Post
    Use whichever maps Garmin uses on their units. The maps that TomTom uses aren't as complete (US coverage-wise).
    Actually, that's not correct. We go to Oahu and Maui often and the Tomtom maps work just fine. There is a separate state map for Hawaii that covers all the islands.
    I didn't say TomTom's maps didn't have Hawaii. I'm saying that Garmin's maps are more complete in US coverage. Just do a search on some of the popular GPS forums.
    Quote Originally Posted by IsLNdbOi View Post
    I didn't say TomTom's maps didn't have Hawaii. I'm saying that Garmin's maps are more complete in US coverage. Just do a search on some of the popular GPS forums.
    I think you may have dated information. How do you conclude that Garmin's maps are "more complete"? There are problems with all map and poi databases. To conclude that maps in a particular location are better from one particular data supplier requires more detailed information than GPS forum posts. I have not used Tomtom on Kauai but I have on Oahu and Maui. I didn't have any major problems with the completeness of the coverage on either island. Do you have specific information regarding the map databases for Kauai? If you do, then give us some specific comparisons.