Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I have treo helper on already, but it doesn't seem very 'real time' in its figures. Also, bars are not accurate much either (generally, yes, but not for what I need).

Due to none being made commercially, it's likely I may be creating a larger, extended antenna for my treo. Making the actual antenna itself shouldn't be nearly as hard as making a shell/antenna casing to cover it all, to keep it safe structurally, adn to not look dumb.

I figured if I can find a real time signal app that lets me know precisely what I'm getting at any given minute, then I could just build my antenna guts, test them out, and know if they're worthy of doing a custom body job for the treo.
    This launcher displays the signal strength:
    http://www.palmgadget.com/lnchr.html

Discussed here:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=131227
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    keyguardtime+ is good for this too
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Wouldn't ##debug# (or whatever it is for the carrier) work well for this?
  5.    #5  
    I'm downloading the the keyguardtime app as we speak. Also, my treohelper program has something for tracking, it's just really slow and choppy to respond to an increase/decrease, so I wanted something more solid for analysis

will let you know how the other one recommended works out
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by sblanter View Post
    What is that, i read it somewhere, but it didn't work in my phone (don't know if it had a '#' after it tho, and maybe it's only 'debug' on a 1-9 keyboard, but diff on a qwerty
  7.    #7  
    btw, could anyone explain what measurement/reading these two apps are giving me? Both treohelper and keyguard+time give me signal readings, and both show a higher number when service is lower. What are these numbers a measurement of?
    On keyguard+time, if i block my antenna, it goes down to '99', and if I hold my treo near the window, i get '93' as a best.
    On treo helper, if I block my antenna, it goes down to '105' as a worst, and if i hold it at the window, i get a '93' best as well.

So, the two agree on my 'best' of 93, but this new app isn't crossing the '100' line, which is weird. I really wonder what these numbers represent, decibles or ohms or something?
    Quote Originally Posted by jdeity View Post
    btw, could anyone explain what measurement/reading these two apps are giving me? Both treohelper and keyguard+time give me signal readings, and both show a higher number when service is lower. What are these numbers a measurement of?
    On keyguard+time, if i block my antenna, it goes down to '99', and if I hold my treo near the window, i get '93' as a best.
    On treo helper, if I block my antenna, it goes down to '105' as a worst, and if i hold it at the window, i get a '93' best as well.

So, the two agree on my 'best' of 93, but this new app isn't crossing the '100' line, which is weird. I really wonder what these numbers represent, decibles or ohms or something?
    RSSI is an initialism for Received Signal Strength Indication. RSSI is a measurement of the received radio signal strength (energy integral, not the quality). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RSSI

The lower the better.
    Palm Vx => M505 => M515 => T =>T3 =>T5 =>Treo 650 => Treo 700P (Verizon)
  9.    #9  
    kenorian, thank you so much for that link, wiki's my first spot to review anythign, but I didn't know what the number's unit / meaning was called.

Okay, in my house, I've gotten a best of mid/low 80's, but that's holding it at a window. Typically I'm mid 90's. I went for a semi-long ride, and in good spots I was pulling 70's. Is there any 'ideal' level? I mean, at 70-something, it seems there isn't much at all to be desired. I wouldn't need to worry if i was at 70 I don't think. I wonder if there's some 'categorization' of these numbers, like 100-120= crappy, 50-70=ideal, 70-90=moderate, etc.
  10.    #10  
    (seems like a rough, practical range is ~50-100)
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    I am fairly sure you can't add a larger antenna to the TREO. If you did, it would need to be about four times as big as the current one to work properly. Something to do with radio wavelengths. Good luck though, There are some amplifiers for cell phones that could help with reception.
    Mike
    Palm III -> Palm V -> Blue Palm Vx w/Omnisky -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680
  12.    #12  
    In all honesty, even if it were 4 times as long, it would be okay with me. I don't mind if it looks like a walkie talkie lol.

But, it seems I'd want each of my antenna leads to be 1.74'' (for 1900MHz frequency) reception, so that would have the antenna's height at roughly 3.5'', which is enough to keep it shorter than the treo's height. I have a modded aluminum shell on the treo, of which I actually own another shell of hte same kind, which I'd mod together to house the antenna. Assuming that I only need to cover 3.5'', my treo would just become *chunkier, and I could remove/epoxy the hole where my original antenna was, so it would just be shorter/thicker in the end.
  13.    #13  
    Of course, ideally, the perfect product I was hoping existed, would have been a plug and play kind that went right where my OEM one was, but walkie-talkie sized. That would be ideal, but it doesn't seem like it's possible (i can find plug/play SHORT ones, for aesthetics, but no long ones, for function... go figure)
    Wouldn't it look better to attach a pizza pan to a hat and put a threaded screw mount on it and put a car antenna on it, then attach it to the Treo?
  15.    #15  
    I don't see why everybody hates the look of antennas so badly. I'd have to imagine that's teh sole reason that nobody makes a plug + play extended range antenna, because treo owners need something aesthetic. Therefore, short antenna nubs are available to shave off the tiniest little antenna, yet not a single person has created and released a longer antenna to make the phone work better.

Treo's are ridiculous phones/machines. My treo plays games, plays movies and cartoons, sees my home PC's desktop in real time and is interactive with it, it controls via bluetooth windows media player on my PC which is the hub of my HTPC setup. Yet the damn thing can't receive all my calls, or is staticy half the time.

I'd gladly toss a 4'' antenna in there in place of that little stub antenna. Doesn't look like that's much of an option though, so he's prolly just gonna be made shorter/chunky with a new body and new external/fixed antenna once i hack out these last details.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by sblanter View Post
    is there any reason I cannot get this to work on my phone? I"ve tried this a million times over and over, and all it does is just attempt dialing out (which tells me it's an invalid number). I can't get it to bring up the debug menu!!!! I have the two programs up now to tell me signal strength, but I believe the debug menu actually tells me which frequency range (800MHz or 1900MHz) i'm on, which I need to find out. Any reasons this wouldn't be working? Any other ways to know which frequency I'm on? (maybe I'm on 1900MHz UNLESS I'm roaming, then maybe i'm on the 800MHz?)
    Uh, static? The Treo is all digital, CDMA or GSM, so you won't hear static.

As for a bad signal, you either have a bad phone or (wait for it.....) a bad signal.

My Treo 650 or 680 were no worse for signal than any other phone I've had, and I've had much fewer dropped calls on it than my previous as well.
    The code is #*#DEBUG then press Dial. It gives a ton of info...Not sure what it all means.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    Wouldn't it look better to attach a pizza pan to a hat and put a threaded screw mount on it and put a car antenna on it, then attach it to the Treo?

Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    Uh, static? The Treo is all digital, CDMA or GSM, so you won't hear static.

As for a bad signal, you either have a bad phone or (wait for it.....) a bad signal.

My Treo 650 or 680 were no worse for signal than any other phone I've had, and I've had much fewer dropped calls on it than my previous as well.
    wait for it...... yup, those 2 quotes are all you've contributed to this thread, illuminating why you have over 2,000 posts.
    I understand it's a digital network. Calls fade in and out. Sorry that 'static' didn't get my point across.
    Yes, bad phone or bad signal. Well, I have 2 treos up and running in this house, and they both have almost identical RSSI levels. So.... wait for it... SIGNAL! Yayy. Only that's been determined, which is what this is all about, INCREASING signal. What are you not getting? I'm not insinuating treos have bad reception. My business line is forwarded to my treo, therefore I am going to attempt making an improvement in the signal. It's like you're trying to antagonize me, I just don't get why
  20.    #20  
    (oh, it is possible you assumed I wanted the signal program to gauge whether my phone was a problem or something, so I apologize if that's the case. The reason I'm hunting a program was so that once I have my antenna ready to plug in, I can gauge what kind of RSSI boost I can get with it. I already had 1 program telling me, now I have 2, which is perfect and will do the job nicely.)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast