Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    im determined that my 700p is defective because like some other users it resets daily for no reason multiple times and im fed up with it. i wanted to try and get a new one and turn this one in but i was wondering if anyone else has been able to do this? this is after the 30 day period.
    If it's within a year and the phone is defective I know that Verizon will exchange it. Who is your carrier?
  3.    #3  
    verizon is my carrier. what number do I call to make an exchange?
    Have you tried a clean install?

(You could end up with a new 700P that does the same thing if the problem is software corruption that is now saved in your backup folder . . . . a reync to your userid will just transfer the issue. . . . .)

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...22&postcount=5

If this does not cure the problem. . . . then yes -- get it replaced.

Cheers, Perry.
    Last edited by gtwo; 02/25/2007 at 12:08 PM.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by jjlatty View Post
    If it's within a year and the phone is defective I know that Verizon will exchange it. Who is your carrier?
    verizon is my carrier. what number do I call to make an exchange?
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden View Post
    Have you tried a clean install?

(You could end up with a new 700P that does the same thing if the problem is software corruption that is now saved in your backup folder . . . . a reync to your userid will just transfer the issue. . . . .)

If this does not cure the problem. . . . then yes -- get it replaced.

Cheers, Perry.
    yes, ive tried this numerous times and still have issues, how do i go about getting it replaced?
    Quote Originally Posted by EricDMiller View Post
    yes, ive tried this numerous times and still have issues, how do i go about getting it replaced?
    Bummer. On Sprint, I would call Customer Service -- or most likely -- go down to my Sprint Store I always deal with and say "Help!" Explain the issues and everything that you have tried.

I returned a 650 to Sprint in this manner - - - they replaced it -- only for me to find out the new one had the same issue! That's when I discovered it was software corruption and not hardware . . . . a clean install and I was on my way . . . .

Cheers, Perry.
    Just call Verizon Technical Support
    :-)
    im determined that my 700p is defective because like some other users it resets daily for no reason multiple times and im fed up with it. i wanted to try and get a new one and turn this one in but i was wondering if anyone else has been able to do this? this is after the 30 day period.
    Eric,

1) can you give us a list of which programs you have installed?
    2) Did you have another PalmOS device before this?
    2a) If so, did you let the install transfer over the programs?
    2a1) If so, follow the procedure in the link below to reinstall
    everything:
    3) After each reset (if you have not done this already), go to the phone app
    and dial ##377. (It might be #*377 on Verizon, not sure.)
    a) This will tell you which program just caused the reset.
    Keep track of this and either uninstall the program or uninstall
    and reinstall the program.
    b) If you still get resets after reinstalling, uninstall the culprit and
    see if the resets still occur (caused by a different program.
    c) Repeat 3a and 3b as necessary/
    d) As a convenience, you can install a program named "Crash Pro".
    It will keep a record of what caused each reset. You can show
    this list to the Verizon people as proof that your device is resetting.
    (Another (better) program named "Reset Doctor" will do crash
    logging and more things that will probably help you. I disuss this
    in the paragraph below:

Another thing to check/monitor is how your dbcache is behaving. DBCache
    is an area of memory where programs are moved to when they run. It is shared by all programs. Each program is supposed to clean up after itself, but a poorly written program (or several large/good programs in combination) can cause dbcache to get too full or too fragmented so that they themselves or other programs cannot run. The Palm will reset itself if this happens in order to clear out the dbcache and start over. There is a program that can help very much with this situation. It is named "Reset Doctor". It can monitor your dbcache and clear it out if it reaches a threshold that you set. (I beleive the most recent version even has predefined settings that work well on each device.) Reset Doctor also does crash logging, so this one
    program, along with the instructions above will either solve or diagnose the problems you are having. If you have done all the steps above and you still have a problem, by all means, call Verizon customer support and explain that the device is bad. If you don't have insurance, they may insist you go to Palm for the warranty replacement. Your replaced device is likely to be refurbished, and might have other problems of it's own, so it's in your best interests to follow a thorough diagnosis procedure before determining that the device is bad. I wish I could say that the customer support people would be able to lead you down the exact path I've explained above, but half of the time they are script reading idiots. When that happens, either hang up or ask for a supervisor until you get someone who understands your problem.

I'm sorry, I don't know the Verizon Wireless Customer Support number. I can give you the number for Verizon DSL: 800-567-5679. Try calling them and act confused. Maybe they will be able to look up a good number.

PS: Regarding procedure 1) above, I'll repeat the importance of passing that info onto us. There may be a program you have installed that we know causes problems, or it might be an older (unfixed) version of a since-fixed program If we can short-circuit your problems at step 1, all the better (although I'd still go ahead and install Reset Doctor as preventative medicine anyway.)

best of luck,
    --
    Bob
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Quote Originally Posted by bclancy View Post
    ... Another thing to check/monitor is how your dbcache is behaving. ...
    Here is an article explaining the dbcache problem (which I suspect you may be experiencing):

http://www.hobbyistsoftware.com/Insi...ache-crash.php

Retentions just replaced (or in process of replacing my 700P for the 700WX which I purchased last June)
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by morningstar1844 View Post
    Retentions just replaced (or in process of replacing my 700P for the 700WX which I purchased last June)
    why did you decide to switch to the 700wx from the 700p?
    Eric,

1) can you give us a list of which programs you have installed?
    2) Did you have another PalmOS device before this?
    2a) If so, did you let the install transfer over the programs?
    2a1) If so, follow the procedure in the link below to reinstall
    everything:
    3) After each reset (if you have not done this already), go to the phone app
    and dial ##377. (It might be #*377 on Verizon, not sure.)
    a) This will tell you which program just caused the reset.
    Keep track of this and either uninstall the program or uninstall
    and reinstall the program.
    b) If you still get resets after reinstalling, uninstall the culprit and
    see if the resets still occur (caused by a different program.
    c) Repeat 3a and 3b as necessary/
    d) As a convenience, you can install a program named "Crash Pro".
    It will keep a record of what caused each reset. You can show
    this list to the Verizon people as proof that your device is resetting.
    (Another (better) program named "Reset Doctor" will do crash
    logging and more things that will probably help you. I disuss this
    in the paragraph below:

Another thing to check/monitor is how your dbcache is behaving. DBCache
    is an area of memory where programs are moved to when they run. It is shared by all programs. Each program is supposed to clean up after itself, but a poorly written program (or several large/good programs in combination) can cause dbcache to get too full or too fragmented so that they themselves or other programs cannot run. The Palm will reset itself if this happens in order to clear out the dbcache and start over. There is a program that can help very much with this situation. It is named "Reset Doctor". It can monitor your dbcache and clear it out if it reaches a threshold that you set. (I beleive the most recent version even has predefined settings that work well on each device.) Reset Doctor also does crash logging, so this one
    program, along with the instructions above will either solve or diagnose the problems you are having. If you have done all the steps above and you still have a problem, by all means, call Verizon customer support and explain that the device is bad. If you don't have insurance, they may insist you go to Palm for the warranty replacement. Your replaced device is likely to be refurbished, and might have other problems of it's own, so it's in your best interests to follow a thorough diagnosis procedure before determining that the device is bad. I wish I could say that the customer support people would be able to lead you down the exact path I've explained above, but half of the time they are script reading idiots. When that happens, either hang up or ask for a supervisor until you get someone who understands your problem.

I'm sorry, I don't know the Verizon Wireless Customer Support number. I can give you the number for Verizon DSL: 800-567-5679. Try calling them and act confused. Maybe they will be able to look up a good number.

PS: Regarding procedure 1) above, I'll repeat the importance of passing that info onto us. There may be a program you have installed that we know causes problems, or it might be an older (unfixed) version of a since-fixed program If we can short-circuit your problems at step 1, all the better (although I'd still go ahead and install Reset Doctor as preventative medicine anyway.)

best of luck,
    --
    Bob
    Verizon Wireless Customer Service: 800-922-0201.

Stalker768
    Eric:

As you may have seen in a recent post of mine there is a pilot program for replacement of Smartphones in Verizon stores. Not all stores apparently but it's worth trying to go in and tell them your issue and ask for replacement in-store. I'd ask for a manager. Are you in NYC area, btw?

In any event you can get it replaced as I did and got it overnight by calling the above number--escalate if you need to until they agree to send you a new or refurb--you never know and I don't think it matters. They said there was a charge for next day delivery and I said ridiculous and insisted that it is their broken machine in-warranty. They sent it w/out charge.

Good luck and back up well and often.

David
    Last edited by dhbuckley; 02/25/2007 at 09:51 PM. Reason: additional info
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by dhbuckley View Post
    Eric:

As you may have seen in a recent post of mine there is a pilot program for replacement of Smartphones in Verizon stores. Not all stores apparently but it's worth trying to go in and tell them your issue and ask for replacement in-store. I'd ask for a manager. Are you in NYC area, btw?

In any event you can get it replaced as I did and got it overnight by calling the above number--escalate if you need to until they agree to send you a new or refurb--you never know and I don't think it matters. They said there was a charge for next day delivery and I said ridiculous and insisted that it is their broken machine in-warranty. They sent it w/out charge.

Good luck and back up well and often.

David
    i called and they agreed to send me a refurbished phone but i don't feel like going through this problem again and tried to negotiate for a guaranteed new phone but they said that wasnt possible. have you heard of anyone receiving a guaranteed new phone instead of refurbished?
    i called and they agreed to send me a refurbished phone but i don't feel like going through this problem again and tried to negotiate for a guaranteed new phone but they said that wasnt possible. have you heard of anyone receiving a guaranteed new phone instead of refurbished?
    Not really, sometimes they'll give a new phone if you have gone through 3 or 4 returns and had problems with each one. They *might* give you a new one if you reported problems during your trial period (in order to keep you happy before you bail out). Otherwise, those are the reasons I suggested you do some "due dilligence" in making sure your current phone is really broken. Ususally the refurbs are fine, but sometimes (as I said before) they go through bad streaks with them. Also, I think a refurb phone has (slightly) less resale value. You might get more for a "very new, known good" refurb from a knowledgable buyer, but a I thik a knowledgable buyer would feel more confident getting a "known good, tried and true, non-refurb" phone. (I know I would.)

The only other way to try to get a new device is to "threaten to quit". Peronally I think this causes both you and customer service more headaches than it's worth (unless you are really ticked off, but willing to take the time to strategize how to deal with this, and willing to be "kind but firm" with the retentions people. On Sprint, when the automated voice answers the call, you say "cancel" and you'll get a retention rep. Maybe there is something similar on Verizon. (I don't know.)

I'd recommend you first try debugging your current phone. The people here can help you to determine if your phone is really bad, in which case getting the refurb is your best option. I know it kind of sucks. You could switch to a 700wx if you think that's less of an effort. (I understand the wx has less problems, but since I never had one, and I don't actively follow the Windows Moblile thread here on TC, that's just a vague opinion that you would have to research and substantiate on your own. If you have a previous PalmOS device, you may like the PalmOS interface, and I've heard from many people (including coworkers) that the Windows Moblile interface is definitely more button clicks to do many of the same tasks.

So I guess that leaves you with the following choices:
    a) further debug the problems on your current 700p device.
    b) get a refurb and hope for the best. (You might have to do a) anyway.)
    c) get a refurb 700wx, and live with more button clicks.
    d) go the retention route. (Be prepared to devote just as much time
    as if you had chosen any of the preceding options, and take good
    notes of all your phone calls. You will need to call at least 4 or 5
    times before you get anywhere, and they will hold you to whatever
    you said on any of the previous calls.)

Some would argue to go for c). I'd say it depends on your personality.
    I'd recommend you still do a), and if you remain totally frustrated, try c). If PalmOS grows on you or you have an inverstment in programs or a current prefrence for PalmOS devices, then go with b).

Most (execpt the truly impatient) would not go for d) as a first recourse.

hope this helps, (sorry about the bad news about only being able to get a refurb),
    --
    Bob
  17.    #17  
    Not really, sometimes they'll give a new phone if you have gone through 3 or 4 returns and had problems with each one. They *might* give you a new one if you reported problems during your trial period (in order to keep you happy before you bail out). Otherwise, those are the reasons I suggested you do some "due dilligence" in making sure your current phone is really broken. Ususally the refurbs are fine, but sometimes (as I said before) they go through bad streaks with them. Also, I think a refurb phone has (slightly) less resale value. You might get more for a "very new, known good" refurb from a knowledgable buyer, but a I thik a knowledgable buyer would feel more confident getting a "known good, tried and true, non-refurb" phone. (I know I would.)

The only other way to try to get a new device is to "threaten to quit". Peronally I think this causes both you and customer service more headaches than it's worth (unless you are really ticked off, but willing to take the time to strategize how to deal with this, and willing to be "kind but firm" with the retentions people. On Sprint, when the automated voice answers the call, you say "cancel" and you'll get a retention rep. Maybe there is something similar on Verizon. (I don't know.)

I'd recommend you first try debugging your current phone. The people here can help you to determine if your phone is really bad, in which case getting the refurb is your best option. I know it kind of sucks. You could switch to a 700wx if you think that's less of an effort. (I understand the wx has less problems, but since I never had one, and I don't actively follow the Windows Moblile thread here on TC, that's just a vague opinion that you would have to research and substantiate on your own. If you have a previous PalmOS device, you may like the PalmOS interface, and I've heard from many people (including coworkers) that the Windows Moblile interface is definitely more button clicks to do many of the same tasks.

So I guess that leaves you with the following choices:
    a) further debug the problems on your current 700p device.
    b) get a refurb and hope for the best. (You might have to do a) anyway.)
    c) get a refurb 700wx, and live with more button clicks.
    d) go the retention route. (Be prepared to devote just as much time
    as if you had chosen any of the preceding options, and take good
    notes of all your phone calls. You will need to call at least 4 or 5
    times before you get anywhere, and they will hold you to whatever
    you said on any of the previous calls.)

Some would argue to go for c). I'd say it depends on your personality.
    I'd recommend you still do a), and if you remain totally frustrated, try c). If PalmOS grows on you or you have an inverstment in programs or a current prefrence for PalmOS devices, then go with b).

Most (execpt the truly impatient) would not go for d) as a first recourse.

hope this helps, (sorry about the bad news about only being able to get a refurb),
    --
    Bob
    thank you for all your advice. If I decided I wanted to switch to the 700wx, how would I go about doing that? Or would I have to pay full for it?
    thank you for all your advice. If I decided I wanted to switch to the 700wx, how would I go about doing that? Or would I have to pay full for it?
    You contact Verizon Customer Service in the same manner you did when they told you they could only give you a refurbished unit, you tell them about your "defective" unit, then you say something like: "I've heard really bad things about the 700p, and given that mine is defective, can you replace it with a refurbished Treo 700wx instead? Most likeky, they will say yes. If they say no, then call retentions.

-- Bob
  19.    #19  
    You contact Verizon Customer Service in the same manner you did when they told you they could only give you a refurbished unit, you tell them about your "defective" unit, then you say something like: "I've heard really bad things about the 700p, and given that mine is defective, can you replace it with a refurbished Treo 700wx instead? Most likeky, they will say yes. If they say no, then call retentions.

-- Bob
    What is retentions? And how would I get in contact with them?
    What is retentions? And how would I get in contact with them?
    My patience is wearing thin. Can't you do some research and figure some of this out on your own?

"Retentions" is a group that each carrier would have that has special people to deal with people who are about to cancel service. Since (I think) you are partway through your contract, you'll have a hard time convincing them you really intend to cancel. (I'm sure they realze that people threaten cancellation are oftentimes bluffing.) You'll have to think about exactly the approach you will take and try to figure out / anticipate their responses. Do not call retentions unless you really intend to cancel. If you cancel mid-contract, you will have to pay the termination fee.

Regarding how to contact them, I have no idea. I'd call your customer service number and tell them you would like to cancel your service. The person they connect you with will likely be able to handle this for you. After you cancel, next you can sell your defective treo on eBay, and let some other fool deal with your problems. You should make sure to disclose that the treo is defective, and reference this thread. That way, you are covered.

good luck,
    --
    Bob
    Last edited by sudoer; 02/26/2007 at 08:31 PM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast