Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Does anybody think Palm software (3rd party) is WAYYYYY overpriced (in most cases). I know the writers need compensation but...
    No.
    We're all naked if you turn us inside out.
    -David Byrne
  3. RJT
    Yes.
    www.remain.calm
    Maybe
    [file:///C|/eyemodule/RICOROSSI/Unfiled/Rico.jpg]
    Maybe not . . .
    leslie
    Prism Addict
    Depends...
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
    Hmmmm...
    Some yes, some no.

Given the choice I tend toward the freeware. Most of what I've used so far works better than the payware.
    The light at the end of your tunnel has been disconnected due to non-payment. Please remit funds immediately for restoration of hope.
    I think Yes and No.

Most little Apps have a start price of $9.99. That is too much. Ithink little apps should be at $3.99-$4.99.

Things like Wordsmith though are priced correctly. $30.00 for a full featured program is ok.

It really depends on the sw. For low end apps-it's overpriced

But GOOD HIGH apps, have an okay price..

The market is constantly changing though so..
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    For the most part no.

I think a lot of games are overpriced (I'm not willing to pay more than $10 for a game in most cases). There aren't that many apps out there though that, if they're really expensive, don't have a competing product thats cheaper/free with just as many if not more features.
    Matt Nichols
    VigoSpraxPalm@Yahoo.com
    A thing is worth what you're willing to pay for it.

Reminds me of an email I got today on the difference between the men and women.

A man will spend $2 for a $1 item that he wants.

A woman will spend $1 for a $2 item she doesn't want.

Just quoting, this does not necessarily reflect the opinions of the messenger... I gotta go buy an app for $20 that doesn't do as well as the freeware version; bye!
    Steve
    "Gort, Klatu verada nictu."
    I think Palm software only seems expensive in comparison to the cost of the actual handheld -- if you get a $200 PDA, then $30-$40 is relatively a lot. It's like buying a PSOne for $100 and then blowing another $100 for 2-3 games.

One nifty thing about Palm software is that almost all of it lets you try before you buy. So you can determine whether or not that thing is actually worth $30 to you before opening your wallet.
    I've never understood the relationship between cost of platform and cost of software. As far as I'm concerned, the only factor involved is what the program does for me. If it is indispensable (or at least as indispensable as any software can be), than I would pay the same price regardless of whether it is for my PC or whether it is for my Prism. So $30 or $40, or even $50, or even more is not a problem for a good app. By the same token, I think that a lot of the crap that people charge for is overpriced at $5.99.

I think that a lot of programmers need to look at what they are writing and decide if it has any value. Just because you spent three nights cobbling together your first Palm app with Pocket C or NSBasic doesn't make it worth anything to anyone but yourself. If it has little or no value, give it away. If you want to charge for something, make something worth charging for.

One type of program that I won't buy are apps that use the PDAs serial number to generate a registration key. I don't pirate software but I do switch off between more than half-a-dozen different Palm OS devices (yeah, I know - it's a sickness that could be cured with years of therapy). I will not pay for a separate registration for each device. I don't pirate software, but all of the PDAs are mine. All have different IDs. They are all synchronized to each other. I only use on of them at a time. I want all of them to have the same apps. A good example of this problem is WordSmith. I love the program, but I removed it from my PDAs because I would have to buy a license for each device. Instead I use MegaDoc. It's about 80 - 90% as good, but comes with a single key for all devices. Oh well, I guess that almost as much functionality for 1/8 the cost (current count is 8 PDAs) is a good deal.
    I actually find that the serial number directly linked to your hotsync name, as a unique anti-piracy method that works. NO other platforms have this, but Palm does. Because of it, it makes it 10 times harder to get warez for palm etc. WHICH IS GOOD FOR THE COMPANY!

BUT than you have a problem. You can't sell your software. By linking it to your hotsync name, this prevents you from beign able to sell your sw on ebay or something, when your done with it. It makes it impossible to get your money back!

So, you havea delimma. You get great security, but the custemor is unhappy. I"M unhappy. Why can't security go along with the custemor? Why is it always AGAINST the custemor?
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    I actually find that the serial number directly linked to your hotsync name, as a unique anti-piracy method that works. NO other platforms have this, but Palm does. Because of it, it makes it 10 times harder to get warez for palm etc. WHICH IS GOOD FOR THE COMPANY!
    No, that's not true. You can actually tie a serial number of a Windows application to a windows machine.

Software companies need to realize that people pirate software. Their methods of protection do not really deter piracy and only burden the honest consumer.

I have to agree that tying the serial number to the hardware is a bad idea. For instance, I use my MP3 player on 3 different machines (home, work, laptop) and only on one machine at a time. I certainly wouldn't want to have to purchase 3 licenses to do so.
    -David Byrne
    I think it depends on the software. If I think something is too expensive, I won't buy it. I've bought Palm software ranging from $5-$30 and felt all were worth it.

I don't think that it's fair to say that a $50 app for a $180 handheld is too expensive when Office 2000 costs ~$400 for a $1000 PC.
    James Hromadka, TreoCentral Editor
    Houston - EST. 1836
    Originally posted by bradhaak
    I've never understood the relationship between cost of platform and cost of software...
    Part of it is psychological, but part of it is also because many people aren't aware what they're getting into. When folks buy a first machine, they expect it to come with everything they need--computer packages often come with MS or WP Office, Appleworks, whatever. Having to spend extra money for decent "basic" apps like email, financial management, etc. sometimes comes as a shock. I'd frankly say it's more of a shock on a PDA, which comes with software burned into ROM. You'd expect them to burn some GOOD apps, right?
    The software pricing 'equation' has little, if anything, to do with the platform.

It generally has more to do with the complexity of the project and the market size.

Highly complex apps with limited markets tend to be much more expensive than basic apps with wide markets.
    -David Byrne
    Originally posted by dalamar70
    Having to spend extra money for decent "basic" apps like email, financial management, etc. sometimes comes as a shock. I'd frankly say it's more of a shock on a PDA, which comes with software burned into ROM. You'd expect them to burn some GOOD apps, right?
    The Visor comes with all of those things. Palm and Handspring have tried not to step on 3rd parties' toes by adding in a bunch of features that could be found with addons.

The only thing I want in the basic apps is todo alarms and no 4k size limit, both of which I can get from 3rd party apps.
    James Hromadka, TreoCentral Editor
    Houston - EST. 1836
    Originally posted by bradhaak
    One type of program that I won't buy are apps that use the PDAs serial number to generate a registration key. I don't pirate software but I do switch off between more than half-a-dozen different Palm OS devices (yeah, I know - it's a sickness that could be cured with years of therapy). I will not pay for a separate registration for each device. I don't pirate software, but all of the PDAs are mine. All have different IDs. They are all synchronized to each other. I only use on of them at a time. I want all of them to have the same apps. A good example of this problem is WordSmith. I love the program, but I removed it from my PDAs because I would have to buy a license for each device. Instead I use MegaDoc. It's about 80 - 90% as good, but comes with a single key for all devices. Oh well, I guess that almost as much functionality for 1/8 the cost (current count is 8 PDAs) is a good deal. [/B]
    B-

We are actually pretty flexible on the licenses. If you wanted another serial number for your other device, you only need ask ;-)

Alexander Hinds
    Blue Nomad, LLC
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast