Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    Howdy, all.

I have a question about how different data plans show up in the 680's Network Settings.

Presently, I have the $39.99/mo Data Connect for PDAs plan. Until recently, I had the $19.99/mo MEdiaMax 200 plan. After several months of working just fine, however, I suddenly started experiencing connection problems. After several trouble-filled weeks of trying every solution I could think of, I begrudgingly switched over to the Data Connect for PDAs plan and now all is well.

My question is this: Shouldn't my "Service" (under Network Settings) now show up as something other than "MEdia Net", since I'm no longer on a Media Max plan? Or is "MEdian Net" simply Cingular's generic way of designating any data connection? I want to be sure that I'm getting what I'm paying for...
    As far as I know, the settings are the same. It's only the billing that changes when you switch plans.
    There is a little difference with PDA Unlimited. It allows you to use the isp.cingular profile. Basically, this profile gives you a true non-NAT IP address...which is useful for some VPN software and other apps that require it. Take a look at this archived discussion for more details...

For most people, wap.cingular will do just fine (which is what the MediaNet package is anyway).

http://treo.discussion.treocentral.c...ight=data+plan
    I found a couple of other advantages to using the isp.cingular access. First, it meant to me that several secure web sites (e.g. signing in to ebay) now worked where there did not work with the wap.cingluar. There is also the option of using the data accelerated login (ispda@cingulargprs.com) which compresses the graphics on web pages (i think).
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    Thanks for the replies. I'm going to play around a bit with the isp.cingular access and see if it makes a difference. I also intend to fiddle around with Open DNS settings, which I've just discovered, to see if that sharpens my browsing up at all.

Thanks again for the insight!