1.    #1  
    So, I just got a 700p and so far, it's running great (except for a bit of a lag while typing text messages (SMSs??). I'm wondering though, do I need an uninstaller program with this or has Palm fixed up their Delete program?

I used to use RemoveIt with my 650 (it came bundled with some other stuff) and, while it worked ok, I don't know if it was ever really necessary. If I don't install and remove stuff all that often, is it really necessary?

Also, if I do need one on there (I wouldn't mind, I do have like 30MB left), is it best to install it first before adding any programs or would it be ok to do it now?

Thanks all!
    There are two paid programs that do very well, Uninstall Manager and DeStaller Pro. I have used both and purchased Uninstall Manger. It has to be in RAM in order to work and preferably as the FIRST application installed. If you do go with UM, take a look at the Neat Freak pack - it is well worth the few extra dollars. www.northglide.com.

Ben
  3.    #3  
    What do they do that the built in Delete doesn't? I'd hate to spend money on things I don't need (not that I haven't already, but, you know.

Would you suggest doing a hard reset before committing to one?
    Quote Originally Posted by davidg4781 View Post
    What do they do that the built in Delete doesn't? I'd hate to spend money on things I don't need (not that I haven't already, but, you know.

Would you suggest doing a hard reset before committing to one?
    Uninstall Manager deletes the file and all associated files. The built-in delete function deletes the app, but can leave little remnant files behind. If you get the Neatfreak pack, it includes Cleanup which lists all the remnant files in your device. You can get rid of whatever you don't need there too.

I would suggest doing a hard reset and putting UM in RAM before all other 3rd party apps so it can monitor any new additions. But, I'm a little obsessive compulsive about my Treos and like to keep them as clean as possible.
    So-Which one do I need?

Already use Backup Man. With Ultimate-would the On Guard Backup conflict with BackupMan?
    Excellent question. You do need a device based backup solution. BackupManager is fine if you are not a Java environment user; if you do use the Java environment, you need to look at Resco Backup or NVBackup.

On Guard Backup does not interfere with the backup process. It operates on its own by monitoring the selected application and backing up the files it creates to the card. In addition, when used with Uninstall Manager and its "group files" option, OGB can be made to backup files created by another application.

My Treo 700p is used hours a day and the data I capture with it is important and because it is important, OBG ranks high on my must have applications.

Ben
    I use OGB and NVBackup; the main difference is OGB will back up selected apps as they are closed, where NVBackup backs up pretty much the entere device manually or on schedule. I have the Neat Freak pack from Northglide. It's best to do a hard reset, install Neatfreak then other apps. Works great for me.
    Once I do the hard reset....do I then just:

1) Install the Neat Freak Pack
    2) Hot Sync (desktop overwrites handheld) Or should this be step 1?
    3) Install each app one at a time

Am I safe to assume that I shouldn't hard reset, install neat freak & then just restore from my backup man program?

With Hard reset-won't I lose all my speed dial settings?
    bump
    Install the Neat Freak Pack - Uninstall Manager first, then copy over the PIM files (the conduit settings for this) then install the applications one at a time, making sure there are no problems. If there is an application that you know has no problems, does not create any unusual files, et cetera, then I would and have reinstalled them via sync. Just remember though, no monitoring is done when you do it this way.

Ben
    Ben
    Thanks for the reply, and at the risk of sounding dense..I'm still confused. Can you spell out the steps for me?

I have a Verizon 700P. I currently have the following programs installed that were not pre-installed in the ROM:

1. Volume Care
    2. Launcher X
    3. Keyboard.prc (Palm Universal Keyboard)
    4. Backup Man
    5. DBScan
    6. FileZ
    7. Kinoma Player version 4(something)
    8. Navigator by Tom Tom
    9. Palm Internals
    10. TreoMemo

My Treo is very stable...maybe a reset once every month or two. I've been VERY VERY careful to load only programs that as far as I can tell are pretty stable.

I think what you're saying is that I need to do a hard reset, but that's when I get lost. Is the next step to then Hot Sync (so that my data will come back over from the desktop)? If so would that load my programs...or just my data?

I think that just loads data, and then I would have to go and re=install each program...is that correct?

If I go with this approach does that mean I lose my settings on the phone for things like Favorites in browser, and for speed dial settings? I've got lots of those setup and really would be a pain to lose those.

Reading between the lines I think what you might be saying is that if I have a stable unit...then why go through all that grief...just load the Neat Freak Pack and move one. The caveat is that the pack wouldn't really be able to monitor what I've already got installed.

Any help is much appreciated.

By the way the programs I eventually want to load include the following and would really appreciate any insights as to any known or suspected problems with these programs:

Want to Load:
    1. Daynotez
    2. Datebook6
    3. Butler (Maybe - not sure what it does for me)
    4. PTunes (advanced version)
    5. (As noted above the NEat Freak Pack)
    6. Directory Assistant (but have seen several posts re: errors..but sounds like latest version is fixed...does this do anything more than just looking up numbers on the net?)
    7. Bonsai (Considering)
    8. Comet (Considering)

It really concerns me to consider loading all these and will certainly do the loads very slowly and judiciously.

By the way...chatted with the nice folks that put out DB Scan and they confirmed they are putting out a program soon called fixit or something like that which will resolve the BLOB situation and have disclosed to Palm where their code is causing the problem...and hopes it will be included in the upcoming MR.

I noticed you have given good advice repeatedly, and want to thank you for your comments.

Greg
    The applications are fine. BackupManager is ok, though it does not backup Java related files - the two best in this area in my opinion are Resco Backup and NVBackup. Palm Internals is on my device though I do not place much importance on its reports. I also have Volume Care, DBScan (part of Datebook 6), Filez, Kinoma, and TreoMemo - all are very stable applications.

Here is the catch - if you really want to do a hard reset on your STABLE device, then fine, though there really is no reason to do so. The applications you have do not warrant it. In your position I would just go ahead and install Uninstall Manager or DeStaller Pro and go from there. A hard reset is just not justified for you based upon the applications you have - you delete them and they are gone, they do not play games, et cetera.

The applications listed further down are also stable and excellent applications - I use some of them. The Datebook series developer is one of the best in the world of Palm and he has worked diligently to fix problems that are really outside the scope of this application - the latest release of DBScan takes care of the problem with the BLOB entries.

Butler - I have used this for a long, long time and consider it to be an important application, really just short of being "essential." Rob has spent a lot of time with it and is keen on keeping it in top shape. I use Butler for it's nagging feature and it does a number of other great things.

A really short list of essentials: a good device based backup application, On Guard Backup (part of the Neatfreak package), a today style program such as 2Day (www.shsh.com), a good speed dialer (Takephone 6) (2Day and TakePhone 6 integrate with the contacts application very well). ChatterEmail, a good security application (I use TealLock 6 and BluePill), Datebook 6, Reset Doctor, and a good third party launcher (I use ZLauncher and Launch-Anywhere) and have no problem recommending Initiate (I occasionally play with it).

I also extensively use Documents to Go V9 and HanDBase.

I use Comet and have since the days of the 600 - its new interface is the bomb. Bonsai I like but cannot find a reason to purchase it - enjoyed the test drive but found I had no use for it. About the NeatFreak package - I started out with On Guard Backup, then Uninstall Manager then Cleanup. By the time I had purchased this I realized that I had the core of the applications and Roy, the Northglide developer was kind enough to give me the package price when I purchased Undo. As a note, I once in a while use Cleanup, it is a "handy" application. What I do though is routinely just look through the applications using ZLauncher's file management option and investigate things that are new.

The applications you list will work to your advantage and well supported.

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by TNTreoUser View Post
    Ben
    Thanks for the reply, and at the risk of sounding dense..I'm still confused. Can you spell out the steps for me?

I have a Verizon 700P. I currently have the following programs installed that were not pre-installed in the ROM:

1. Volume Care
    2. Launcher X
    3. Keyboard.prc (Palm Universal Keyboard)
    4. Backup Man
    5. DBScan
    6. FileZ
    7. Kinoma Player version 4(something)
    8. Navigator by Tom Tom
    9. Palm Internals
    10. TreoMemo

My Treo is very stable...maybe a reset once every month or two. I've been VERY VERY careful to load only programs that as far as I can tell are pretty stable.

I think what you're saying is that I need to do a hard reset, but that's when I get lost. Is the next step to then Hot Sync (so that my data will come back over from the desktop)? If so would that load my programs...or just my data?

I think that just loads data, and then I would have to go and re=install each program...is that correct?

If I go with this approach does that mean I lose my settings on the phone for things like Favorites in browser, and for speed dial settings? I've got lots of those setup and really would be a pain to lose those.

Reading between the lines I think what you might be saying is that if I have a stable unit...then why go through all that grief...just load the Neat Freak Pack and move one. The caveat is that the pack wouldn't really be able to monitor what I've already got installed.

Any help is much appreciated.

By the way the programs I eventually want to load include the following and would really appreciate any insights as to any known or suspected problems with these programs:

Want to Load:
    1. Daynotez
    2. Datebook6
    3. Butler (Maybe - not sure what it does for me)
    4. PTunes (advanced version)
    5. (As noted above the NEat Freak Pack)
    6. Directory Assistant (but have seen several posts re: errors..but sounds like latest version is fixed...does this do anything more than just looking up numbers on the net?)
    7. Bonsai (Considering)
    8. Comet (Considering)

It really concerns me to consider loading all these and will certainly do the loads very slowly and judiciously.

By the way...chatted with the nice folks that put out DB Scan and they confirmed they are putting out a program soon called fixit or something like that which will resolve the BLOB situation and have disclosed to Palm where their code is causing the problem...and hopes it will be included in the upcoming MR.

I noticed you have given good advice repeatedly, and want to thank you for your comments.

Greg
    Ben

Thank fr such a well thought out and very helpful post. I'm going to get started loading these.