Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    http://www.1src.com/freeware/fileinfo.php?id=1674

Accessorizer is a unique utility that takes almost any application or control panel and creates a Desk Accessory (DA) that launches it on top of the current application (and lets you come back to it nwhen done), assuming you have enough memory.

Accessorizer works on PalmOS 4 and up, including PalmOS 5.
    Looks like it's by Alex Pruss. Sounds very cool, anyone brave enough to try it?
    Trying it right now.
    Okay, this is a slick app! I just made a DA out of my Gmail app. Then I went to Blazer and pulled up a website, launched my GmailDA (I use DA Launcher) and pulled up Gmail. When I was done, I just hit Menu > Exit Gmail and I'm back in my web browser at the same point I was when I left... no reloading the page, nothing. You can also hit the Home button to get back to where you were before. Very, very nice!

I also created a DA for ScientificCalc because SnapCalc is just getting too small.

The only drawback is if you use FontSmoother or another font app to enable different fonts for different apps. If you launch a DA with a different font than the app you're in at that moment, it will change the font of that app to the font of the DA once you exit the DA. Small thing, though.

Thanks for the tip Khaytsus!
  4.    #4  
    Yeah, I have several apps I want to try this on... Only problem is I'd *really* like to be able to run a few things while I'm in pssh, but I bet any length of time in the DA would cause pssh to time out.

But otherwise, yeah, this looks neat. I'm going to try it today I think. Memory shouldn't be a problem on the 680 or 700
  5.    #5  
    By the way, I've been using the 0.90 beta version, and it's great. I tried OnTop (same concept, just a little friendlier... Unless you don't want to give up a hard key!) so I've now converted my top programs into DA's which I launch from MetaDA from ZLauncher QuickLaunchAnywhere.

They launch faster and exit faster, and so far (on my 680) everything runs great, no crashes. The Camera app doesn't work it seems, but no other problems I've found.

The link in the first post is still valid.

I have this list (give or take a few probably..): Blazer, Dir Assistant, Google Maps, Memos, Agendus, Novai Remote, Networks prefs panel.

BTW, I tried Where Am I? and it worked, but when it launched Google Earth, then I hit Home, it went back to the Launcher.
  6. tck
    Global Posts
    128 Global Posts
    I noticed DAkey.prc within the zip file. Does this need to be installed? Nothing is mention in the readme file.

Thanks
  7.    #7  
    Not sure what that is offhand.... I use ZLauncher's QuickLaunchAnywhere to launch the DAs. I actually have replaced several in that list with Acessorized DA's (Blazer, WWCalc, TreoCiel, Network prefs panel), and then I also have MetaDA in the list so I can pick through the rest of my DA's (Reset NetLib, Novaii Remote, Memos, Dir Assistant, Google Maps, Snap, Agendus, 1TouchTimer, RPN, and Resco Viewer).

By the way, a few of these are shortcuts made in ZLauncher, so that works too! Only caveat is that the databases don't get written back to ram until you go back to the Launcher. So example: Blazer, then launch WWCalcDA. Then hit Home, returns to Blazer. Hit Home again, returns to Launcher and writes out WWCalcDA database.

In fact right now, the only "real" DA I have anymore is Reset NetLib. The rest are all from Accessorizer.

BTW, I wasn't convinced it would work, but you can launch an app such as 1Touchtimer or Snap which does some type of background work (1TouchTimer is a countdown timer, Snap takes a snapshot of the screen) IN a DA and it still works as you'd expect it to. No more "oh crap, I want a screenshot of this, but I have to launch Snap, then get back here!"

It's not 100% stable, I've had 2-3 crashes this morning but I've been doing a lot of screwing around. Generally it seems quite stable in normal use, such as popping Blazer on top of various programs, I downloaded a few programs in BlazerDA while running pssh today, ssh session was fine when I returned (it'd time out eventually... Probably 2-3 minutes), popped up WWCalcDA inside of Blazer to input my lunch, etc.. No problems.

When I get a crash, I usually notice beforehand that things don't "feel" right, like tapping icons in ZLauncher don't launch, or Menu shows the wrong menu. Like something didn't switch right. Then usually if I try to do something else, blam.

It hasn't made general stability worse of course.. Just if you launch an Accessorized DA, be wary that there's a possibility of instability.

BTW, what I've been doing is DA'ing any app I routinely run, but not as a "core" app. So far I haven't tried Chatter or VeriChat DA'ed, although I'm pondering it.

For kicks, I tried Sub-Launcher again.. It's supposed to create these DA's on the fly. Still crashes about 30% of the time.

All of this is on my 680, so lots of dbcache. 650 or other devices might not be as stable.
    I tried it and could generate DAs but I could not use DA Launcher to launch any of the DAs generated by Accessorizer. There is no problem to launch various DAs that I downloaded. Do I miss something here? I have a 680. Thanks.
    I use DA Launcher from the Command Bar, and it works fine. I also have a 680.

Version 5.1b4
    Quote Originally Posted by tck View Post
    I noticed DAkey.prc within the zip file. Does this need to be installed? Nothing is mention in the readme file.

Thanks
    It is not required, Accessorizer came from www.1src.com, the thread there explains dakey.prc allows you to map a hard key (1 through 4) to a specific DA.

I don't use it though, I have PetitLaunch open MetaDA
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Littledragon View Post
    I tried it and could generate DAs but I could not use DA Launcher to launch any of the DAs generated by Accessorizer. There is no problem to launch various DAs that I downloaded. Do I miss something here? I have a 680. Thanks.
    Accessorizer is in ram, right? Not on SD or deleted?

I've used MetaDA, ZLauncher, McPhling, and Hi-Launcher (trying the last two to see how I like 'em.. With all these DA's, ZLauncher QLA and MetaDA aren't very friendly to use..
    Global Posts
    989 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    Not sure what that is offhand.... I use ZLauncher's QuickLaunchAnywhere to launch the DAs.
    How do you do this? I have not found the option in QuickLaunchAnywhere to launch DAs
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by migs View Post
    How do you do this? I have not found the option in QuickLaunchAnywhere to launch DAs
    You gotta be sneaky.

Make a new tab, make it contain DA's. I forget the exact config here, and my 680 has been off the charger since 7am so it's hibernating right now...

Make sure there's a spot in the QLA or you'll overwrite one, and tap on one of the DAs in the tab view and select 'Add to QL'.

Be nice if there was a more direct way to do it!
  14. tck
    Global Posts
    128 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chenling View Post
    I use DA Launcher from the Command Bar, and it works fine. I also have a 680.

Version 5.1b4
    Is there a way to activate DALauncher after the Command Bar is revealed, without manually tapping on the icon eg short cut keys like copy & paste?

Thanks
    Global Posts
    591 Global Posts
    I find the combination of Accessorizer and PetitLauncher (free) absolutely magical. There's no limit to the number of DAs you can have (PL brings up a list you can choose from) and in addition to launching PL with a hardkey (I use a prolonged press of the centre key of 5-way) you can also assign the 4 hard keys to 4 DAs of your choice.

I havent noticed any system slowdown using PL, whereas I did (I think!) with QLA.

I tried the other day to see if you could open up a DA of Blazer while in Blazer (tabbed browsing, sort of, hehe) but you get an error message saying you cant so such things.

I never got sublauncher to work either- and last i looked on the Pruss board it was causing people heaps of resets.

cheers
    geoff

Treo 650 1.20 LAP.
  16.    #16  
    I already had HiLauncher, I used it for about 3 months about two years ago, but just never used it.. Perhaps I'll never use it again, but I have it set up with all my new DAs now.

By the way, one bad thing I've noticed is that Accesserizer destroys heap space. I've had to soft reset 3 times in the lsat 2 days because I run out of heap space. For kicks, I tried MemInfo to see if it could "compact heap" and recover, but no joy. What happens is I try to launch something big, like TomTom, load data into GeoNiche, etc, and they fail in one way or another. No crashes or 680 resets, just have to manually reset to be able to run them. Never happened before.
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    Accessorizer is in ram, right? Not on SD or deleted?
    Yes, it's in ram. After doing a hard reset and selective restoration, I found that the DAs generated by Accessorizer were in conflict with the Saved Preferences file. If I temporarily moved the file to SD using FileZ, I was able to launch all the DAs from the Command bar. As soon as I exited from FileZ, there was no go. Well, this does not seem to help since Saved Preferences is a must-have.
    Quote Originally Posted by tck View Post
    Is there a way to activate DALauncher after the Command Bar is revealed, without manually tapping on the icon eg short cut keys like copy & paste?

Thanks
    I'm not sure I get what you mean completely, but I have to bring up the Command Bar, and then tap the little "DA" icon to bring up the list of DAs.

I have a feeling this is not what your looking for...
  19. tck
    Global Posts
    128 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chenling View Post
    I'm not sure I get what you mean completely, but I have to bring up the Command Bar, and then tap the little "DA" icon to bring up the list of DAs.

I have a feeling this is not what your looking for...
    Thanks. I dont like to get my screen smudge with my finger tapping on the icon. So I thought maybe there was a short cut key eg activate command bar + c for copy; maybe command bar + d to launch DALauncher.

By your answer I guess there is no way to avoid tapping it.
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by Littledragon View Post
    Yes, it's in ram. After doing a hard reset and selective restoration, I found that the DAs generated by Accessorizer were in conflict with the Saved Preferences file. If I temporarily moved the file to SD using FileZ, I was able to launch all the DAs from the Command bar. As soon as I exited from FileZ, there was no go. Well, this does not seem to help since Saved Preferences is a must-have.
    Erokay.... I don't see why launching a DA would do anything with Saved Preferences. I suppose you can try deleting any Accessorizer-related prefs and trying it again.

What do you have installed which are background apps, and what are you trying to run?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast