Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    as much as i loved the 680 phone, i had to cancel my cingular contract and return the 680. i'm coming from verizon 700p and i'm sorry to say that verizon has the best call quality. i used the cingular 680 mostly in NYC, Long Island, Newburgh, and Rochester. The call quality didnt sound as clear as Verizon's. Sometimes call quality would sound muffled. i chose the 680 cuz of the form factor. i loved the design.

second, i'm sorry to say that battery is terrible. i charge my phone every night and the phone would last "up to" 5-6pm. verizon 700p would still have a 99% at 2pm. i decided to port my number back to verizon. as much as i hate the thickness of the 700p, its the most reliable phone i've ever used.
    I understand your pain. But, mobile voice coverage is a crap shoot. In the many places that I travel for my business (southeast USA) Cingular just spanks VZW. I have many associates on VZW and they marvel at the places I get good coverage. It's almost all based on location.

You could always slap the rumpshaker battery on the 680 if you had decent coverage. It would be little thicker than the 700 and lack of external antenna would make up for it.

Good luck on the swap.
    Patrick Horne
    I'm in a similar situation. Fortunately, my issues aren't with coverage or call quality but rather device performance. It's getting old having to do a soft reset every 2-3 days.

I've just got to determine if I can afford the 750.
    I'm so discouraged that I'd really like a non Palm alternative, but I can't find anything that does what I need--lots of third party apps, foreign languages, GPS, push email (no Outlook), etc.
    look how things are different: I just moved from 750 to 680!
    and I'm happy! :-))
    matro 180->270->600->650->750v->680->Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by mdavis View Post
    I'm so discouraged that I'd really like a non Palm alternative, but I can't find anything that does what I need--lots of third party apps, foreign languages, GPS, push email (no Outlook), etc.
    How about a Blackberry? I've used a Pearl and loved it, though I still prefer my Treo 680. Still, the Berry ain't bad. And the new 8800 looks pretty spiffing.
    Only other data phone I would use in the Cingular lineup is the Blackjack...and I returned my Blackjack to keep the Treo 680. I had to return my first one due to a problem, but the one I got on exchange has been bulletproof so far. I even have it going 13-hours, and still showing 60% of a full charge after only two overnight chargings!! I expect it to get better and better.

Sorry you are unhappy with the 680. I did a lot of research before I bought mine, and had it and a Blackjack to compare side-to-side, and the Treo smokes the BJ at least in my eyes.
    I agree. When it works. But its plagued by too many problems that don't appear in the specs and so aren't amenable to a side by side comparison. I don't want Blackberry because I want to get my email direct push, not with any intermediate for which I pay.
    Wow. I sure am glad that I am not having any of these problems with my 680. Although I have had the gibberish issue a few times, my Treo has been rock solid since I got it. And I have tons of 3rd party software installed.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickstreo View Post
    Wow. I sure am glad that I am not having any of these problems with my 680. Although I have had the gibberish issue a few times, my Treo has been rock solid since I got it. And I have tons of 3rd party software installed.
    I'm with you Rick..my 680 has been solid so far....3 months now...well you win some you lose some.
    I think the phone is fine, but the battery life is just unacceptable!! The phone does not even last 24 hours in stand-by. Besides the extra memory I am not happy with the upgrade from the Treo 650. I may switch back to my 650 and pitch the 680. This is the worse Treo I have had all the way back to the Treo (non-color)-- I think it was the 180. I put into new battery and I have the same issues.
    Did you install the camera patch yet?
    lol
    Quote Originally Posted by matro View Post
    look how things are different: I just moved from 750 to 680!
    and I'm happy! :-))
    This may be a reach but I got my 680 the week it was released and have slowly seen an increase in the number of resets and watched the battery issue never level off.

Could my headaches be the result of an early production? That if I bought another 680, the quality control would be better and problems a lot less?
    Quote Originally Posted by coppertop View Post
    This may be a reach but I got my 680 the week it was released and have slowly seen an increase in the number of resets and watched the battery issue never level off.

Could my headaches be the result of an early production? That if I bought another 680, the quality control would be better and problems a lot less?
    That happened with the 650 when it was first released. Subsequent devices seem to be more stable right out of the box.
    So it's not such a reach?
    Quote Originally Posted by coppertop View Post
    So it's not such a reach?
    I don't think so...
    The 680 is quickly becoming a "love/hate" relationship. Yesterday, the 680 would have better served as a door stop. Four soft resets!

So far today, no resets and it's working like a charm. If I didn't think it would be a waste of money, I'd get another one in hopes that it would perform better. I'm just not sold on the 750 or that would be the route to go.
    I hope mine is indicative of a "good one". Battery life is better than ever...and improving. No more gibberish and no service issues...since I did the "fix". No dropped calls, freezing or crashing either.

But...I haven't loaded a single bit of 3rd-party software on it either. I am hoping that my pleasant stability doesn't go down the drain when I start.
    Just be careful what 3rd party apps you add. Some are known to cause problems on the 680 and some are being used by countless others...so you can consider those safe.