1.    #1  
    I got my 700P and really was quite intimidated by the tech aspects of it and learning to use it etc...(oddly I can design and write webpages, but phones frighten me )

Anyway, it's very cool to have stumbled on your great site with so many helpful and patient people. Most sites aren't quite as patient or willing to assist the helpless newbs...but not here.

I very much appreciate everyone's assistance so far.

Btw - this treo 700p is the ****!! i spent hours last night on it, just playing with all the cool features. amazingly, it is VERY new-user friendly. they have made a super-advanced device very appealing to those of us whose experience with phones doesn't extend beyond dialing numbers and hitting "send." I'm thoroughly impressed.
    welcome to the dark side. muhahahaha! J/K. welcome.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Fafafoooey View Post
    welcome to the dark side. muhahahaha! J/K. welcome.
    O-Qua Tangin Wann
    Qua Omsa-La-Juwann

6ood to have you here.
    Glad you found this and are happy with your Treo. You are right to be amazed as it is a very cool smartphone. There is a lot of negativity on this forum, but if you can ignore that, this forum will be very beneficial. Read the stickys at the top of the threads.
    DH:

Hi and welcome. As you've noted, there is lots of good will here. Yes, there is some negativity but it is often real-world based due to real problems many of us have. Not at all to rain on your parade, I love my Plam Treo 700p when it's working, too, but we are very much awaiting the promised ROM update to address problems I dearly hope you do not experience.

If you do though, many nice people will help you out here as they are helping me and as I try to help others.

Enjoy and back up well and often.

David
    Last edited by dhbuckley; 02/23/2007 at 02:03 PM. Reason: typos
  7.    #7  
    Yeah..I appreciate it.

I run a site myself (www.deadhook.com), GD and music vBulletin community. Over 1400 members, so I can appreciate the differences in how you get different attitudes from one person to another.

Thanks again everyone...very much!
    Quote Originally Posted by deadhook View Post
    ... Anyway, it's very cool to have stumbled on your great site with so many helpful and patient people. Most sites aren't quite as patient or willing to assist the helpless newbs...but not here. ...
    I think we've gone through a hard pruning due to the 700p not living up to most people's expectations. (It did not live up to mine either.) Most of us remaining are have learned how to cope. You've learned from our experience and come in with low expectations, and are now pleasantly suprised! Wecome to our ranks.

We're hoping for a 700p ROM update in March, 2007. That might go really well, or be the cause of a whole lot more pessimism, so be prepared for a change in tone next month.

I'm glad you are finding the 700p useful and fun. It really is a nice device with some really bad warts (and we don't know whether they will go away or become scars for life). Still: if you are dilligent and technical, you can overcome (or avoid) most problems. I wouldn't recommend it to my grandmother, but for you, hell yeah!
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
  9.    #9  
    Still: if you are dilligent and technical, you can overcome (or avoid) most problems.
    dilligent....like you wouldn't believe.
    technical...uhhh....not quite.

btw, someone told me that the internet speeds are comparable to DSL..but i've found that to be anything but true. it's cool with me because i just thing it's great to have the access, but for example, if i go to cnn.com, it takes approx 10 - 14 seconds to load entirely (full color, pics etc..)

does that sound about right?
    Quote Originally Posted by deadhook View Post
    dilligent....like you wouldn't believe.
    technical...uhhh....not quite.

btw, someone told me that the internet speeds are comparable to DSL..but i've found that to be anything but true. it's cool with me because i just thing it's great to have the access, but for example, if i go to cnn.com, it takes approx 10 - 14 seconds to load entirely (full color, pics etc..)

does that sound about right?
    That's a limitation of the system cpu (rendering). If I tether my 700p to my laptop I can pull 1.5mbps.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    That's a limitation of the system cpu (rendering). If I tether my 700p to my laptop I can pull 1.5mbps.

cool. so that is about right then for the 700P through Sprint internet speeds.