View Poll Results: Would you take a refurbished unit?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, refurbs are problem free and like new!

11 55.00%
  • No, refurbs are someone else's headache with a hard reset.

4 20.00%
  • Not sure.

5 25.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    As you can see by my thread, I've been suffering from intermittent (up to 2-3 per day) crashes. I tried a hard reset and importing my contacts, calendar, etc. (no hot sync, since I didn't want to bring over any 'problems'). I didn't install any third party applications (except Noah Pro on the SD Card).
    In any event, after the hard reset, I got one more crash...but none in the last 24 hours.
    Here is my dilemma, I got Verizon to FedEx (expected Monday Feb.26) me a refurb. If you were me, would you take a refurb (with the chance of getting more problems) or stick with the current unit and deal with the occassional crash.
    I'd go w/the refurbished. I'm actually on my 3rd handset. My first handset's charger plug-in stopped working. The replacement phone worked well, but was missing the HSSN number and I couldn't run some programs because of it. My newest refurbished phone has been pretty much perfect so far. I've only had two resets- both of which were my fault (LudusP causes a reset that I know about when I hit a certain combination of buttons and Toccer reset because I removed some files that I shouldn't have). If you do get a lemon, they have to take it back anyway, right?
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Sure...but what is that expression..."better the devil you know"
    Ahhh...but you don't know if the new one is a devil at all. You KNOW the one you have is crap. The next one might be crappy or could be perfect. 2-3 resets per day would call for me to take a chance on the refurb.
    I had the same delema. What I did was switch to the one they sent me and held onto the original for a few days. I got the bugs worked out on the refurbished one and shipped the other back. Even then I was hesitant; based on past refurb experiences.

On moving contacts, etc., what I did was bring my old trusty Tungsten T3 up to date and then IR'd them to the Treo. This was after several corruption problems with the contacts data on the Treo. I haven't had a problem with data crashes in quite a while. Bluetooth still causes headaches and I miss my third party applications, but the Treo is working okay.
    A stable unit, one where the applications behave through whatever means used to achieve it, should not crash on its own. My Sprint Treo 700p after week one has been exceedingly stable (no crashes) except when playing with some beta applications. None. Then last week when playing with a beta application I moved some stuff to the card and zapped a couple of files in main memory; all was good for a while and then it was reset city for the remainder of the week.

I then spent time on my day off and took care of the problem, finding it to be related to a Creator ID code problem. I then decided to go ahead and redo everything. That meant a hard reset and then one at a time reinstallation of my applications. That done and now I am back to running fine. The only thing I gained by doing the hard reset and starting over again is that I now have Uninstall Manager installed as the first application; otherwise the initial fix of the day brought me back to being stable.

So for me, stable applications, appropriate backing up when needed (I screwed up there last week) and paying attention to memory concerns and stability issues has given me a stable device. The 650 is also as stable.

During the reinstallation, I placed eReader in the /Palm/Launcher folder and this morning decided to use the application. Not paying attention to it, eReader launched and proceeded to bring import 29mb of eReader files from the card to the device, causing the device to hang up. Needing to either delete 29mb of eReader related files or doing a hard reset and restoring from last night's backup, I chose the hard reset route. Known good backups are great.

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by haroldo View Post
    As you can see by my thread, I've been suffering from intermittent (up to 2-3 per day) crashes. I tried a hard reset and importing my contacts, calendar, etc. (no hot sync, since I didn't want to bring over any 'problems'). I didn't install any third party applications (except Noah Pro on the SD Card).
    In any event, after the hard reset, I got one more crash...but none in the last 24 hours.
    Here is my dilemma, I got Verizon to FedEx (expected Monday Feb.26) me a refurb. If you were me, would you take a refurb (with the chance of getting more problems) or stick with the current unit and deal with the occassional crash.
    I'm on 3rd 700p; I'd go w/ replacement--it could just as easily be new as refurbed and warranty coverage is the same. Plus, yours clearly does suck RIGHT NOW!

The one I'm reloading right now seems as new as a new one even though it may not be...

Good luck and let us know what happens.

Be well,

David
    I voted "Not sure". With insurance, I really don't get a choice between a refurb or new (they're all refurbs). In the treo 300/600 days, I've gotten refurbs that had obvious, existing problems that a true refurb process should have caught. Maybe they have improved the process and refurbs are now better. (I really don't know.)
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    ...decisions, decisions...
    Okay, the refurb showed up last night (still in the box, since I haven't had the time to 'play' with it).
    In the last five days, I only had one crash/reset and it was partially my fault (I pressed the call button, the Treo was lagging so I pressed the call button again). Other than that, the Treo has been reliable (albiet, sans any installed applications except NVBackup).
    So the dilemma is do I keep my (reasonably) reliable (for five days, so far) Treo...or go with the refub. I know I have a few days to decide.
    I know I am repeating my original question...but WWYD (what would you do)?
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Fate has intervened!
    I was feeling unsure about turning in my (relatively) reliable Treo. I opened the box and Verizon had sent me a 700w! The PDA gods are trying to tell me to stick with my current unit. To be continued...
    Whoops!
    Well, I would like to share my experience with a refurb I got.
    It was sad. The center button on the 5-way was so sensitive, you would either push it when you didn't mean to or when you meant to push it, it would act like you pushed it 2+ times. Plus, there was no feedback click when pushed. Lousy. Not only that, but there was a stuck pixel and the screen was noticeably dimmer.
    OK, so I may be in the minority, but the good news is that a very nice and helpful Verizon store manager swapped it for a brand new unit, no questions asked. The new one has been pure joy. Nice bright screen (brighter than my original) and extremely stable, even with all my 3rd party apps.
    So my suggestion to you is stay away from refurbs and try all your local Verizon stores until you find one that will give you a new unit. It's worth it.
    I've had some not so good refurbs, and a great refurb (my current). I've also had well working new phones, and new phones with problems right out of the box.

I'd take a well working refurb over my original new phone if it was not functioning properly.
    at&t Treo 680, SW 2.11-ATT
    Cingular Treo 650 Unlocked, SW 1.17-CNG/FW 1.51
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    ...follow up...I haven't gotten a crash since 2/25/07, so I think I am going to stick with this one...for now.
    I caused the crash by pressing the dial button a second time during a lag, so it was partially my fault. I am now aware of the perils of doing too much during the lags and wont be recreating this action.
    Last edited by haroldo; 03/05/2007 at 09:44 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by haroldo View Post
    I caused the crash by pressing the dial button a second time during a lag, so it was partially my fault. I am now aware of the perils of doing too much during the lags and wont be recreating this action.
    That's the second time I saw you post this action causing a crash. It does not crash mine, and it should not crash yours. You got a bad one -- why keep it?
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jaharr View Post
    ...You got a bad one -- why keep it?
    Since I performed a hard reset and created a new user, the phone has been problem free. Presumably, the hard reset did the trick. I only imported (I did not hot sync the old profile) the contacts, memos, calendar and task list to Palm Desktop's new profile.

I assume (correct me if I am wrong) that repeated attempts to place a call (during a lag) could crash a phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaharr View Post
    ...this action causing a crash. It does not crash mine, and it should not crash yours...
    I realize that it didn't crash yours, but is it possible that the timing of my action, that is, how quickly I pressed the button for the second, and possibly third (not sure??), time, was not the same as yours? I am not a technician, but I will accept this crash as, possibly, my fault. Other than that, it has been 100% reliable.
    My fear, in getting a refurb, is I would be trading in my (reliable) phone for one with possible other problems (the type that keep these forums very active).
    Better the devil you know!
    I will keep this one as long as it's problem free (which has been for around 10 days).
    For the record, the only applications on my Treo are:
    • NV Backup
    • Noah Pro Dictionary

While I liked some of the applications I used to have, including TreoAlarm, there isn't anything that I can't live without. My main need is reliability. Since no one knows the precise recipe (applications, memory, repeated actions during lags, etc.) for a crash, I will keep my Treo as close to it's original state, as possible.

If this one develops a problem (crashes) I will call Verizon and get a replacement, but for now, I am comfortable with this one.

Thanks!
    Last edited by haroldo; 03/06/2007 at 07:38 AM.
    Haroldo:

I guess my only reactions are:

1. Congrats on relative stability (!);

2. Isn't it a joke that the EXPENSIVE "Smartphone" must be kept minimized, knocking out much of the reason for having it?

3. Isn't it also a joke that "during a lag" you had the temerity to push a button again once, twice or thrice, which CRASHED your "Smartphone"?

Not my idea of a realized product--I'm on my third, as you may have seen and will abandon Plam if an update that addresses our many issues doesn't come soon.

Be well, all.

David
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Follow up (in case anyone cares)...
    It has now been almost three weeks and my Treo is 100% stable. I've added in a few third party applications and it is working great. The only application I am afraid to try again is TreoAlarm, which turns the phone off on schedule. I've had a few problems with this (I was attempting to turn it on within the same minute as TreoAlarm was scheduled to turn it off...yielding a reboot loop).
    In any event, problems can be fixed. I'm glad I kept my phone, since I was fearful of what problems could have been hidden in a refurbished unit.
    Thanks for your help.
    Quote Originally Posted by dhbuckley View Post
    Haroldo:

I guess my only reactions are:

1. Congrats on relative stability (!);

2. Isn't it a joke that the EXPENSIVE "Smartphone" must be kept minimized, knocking out much of the reason for having it?

3. Isn't it also a joke that "during a lag" you had the temerity to push a button again once, twice or thrice, which CRASHED your "Smartphone"?

Not my idea of a realized product--I'm on my third, as you may have seen and will abandon Plam if an update that addresses our many issues doesn't come soon.

Be well, all.

David

Hi David !!

Just as a counterpoint -- I have a fairly loaded trouble free (except for the occassional lag) 700P. When the database here at TC allows a search again -- I will post a link to the post where I listed my configuration. . . .)

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...79&postcount=4

Cheers, Perry.
    Last edited by gtwo; 03/18/2007 at 08:11 AM.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Perry, your advice was helpful, to NOT rely on the (corrupted) HotSync copy. I started with a fresh profile and just imported the saved data from my Calendar, etc. I wonder how many people hot sync their problems back on to their newly reset Treos?
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Ach! I knew it was too good to be true, it crashed three hours after the post above. I think my Treo is vindictive!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast