1.    #1  
    I recently upgraded to Windows Vista and have been using Palm desktop and HotSync with my unlocked Treo 680 with no problems. For some reason, in the past few days, when I try to start the Palm Desktop, it opens the splash screen, but will not continue after that. HotSync is still working OK. I tried removing the Palm Desktop and reinstalling from the CD, but it hasn't resolved the problem. Any ideas on what to do next?
    What version of the Palm desktop are you using? Palm has some information on the desktops and Vista on their site:

http://www.palm.com/us/support/windowsvista/index.html

I'm using the one that came on the CD that came with my Treo. It is version 4.2. But I sync to Outlook 2007, not the Palm Desktop.

There are also some patches there for Daylight Savings Time as well.

This is something I may have to start paying attention to; I am looking at moving to a new laptop. Ben
    Keep in mind that this will only allow you to sync up data with Outlook and the Palm Desktop. It will not allow you to install programs and other items such as the Daylight Savings Time update. Here is the link for that:

http://kb.palm.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBC...ase=obj(43851)

They say:

"Palm Install Tool and Palm Quick Install are not compatible with Windows Vista at this time.
    This page shows you some workarounds for installing Palm OS files on your device."

Kinda sucks!

Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ivhs72 View Post
    They say:

"Palm Install Tool and Palm Quick Install are not compatible with Windows Vista at this time.
    This page shows you some workarounds for installing Palm OS files on your device."
    hmmm....I just used Vista Business and Palm Quick install to install a photo on the other day..and that worked fine...haven't tried installing any apps with it yet though....
    Quote Originally Posted by Mavoz View Post
    hmmm....I just used Vista Business and Palm Quick install to install a photo on the other day..and that worked fine...haven't tried installing any apps with it yet though....
    hmmm, indeed! Now granted I haven't even tried my Quick Install on this Vista machine, but are you sure you installed the photo via it and not the Desktop's Media program?

As I'm not all that busy installing all sorts of stuff on my 680, I'm not particularly fussed about Quick Install working right now (given the workarounds aren't completely onerous and that both my Docs2Go and AvantGo seem to work) but I guess I will be in time - and one is still left to wonder what Palm / ACCESS were doing during the last year when Vista Beta was nearing Gold.

Too busy brown-nosing the wireless companies to bother updating their software?
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MleB View Post
    hmmm, indeed! Now granted I haven't even tried my Quick Install on this Vista machine, but are you sure you installed the photo via it and not the Desktop's Media program?
    From memory I did it via right clicking photo file..send to PalmOne Quick install...certainly didn't do it via the Palm Desktop app...actually I don't really install stuff that way...

anyway my portable usb cable is at work...so I'll give this all a thorough test when I'm back there this week...will try installing some apps too and report back...you've got me worried now..I thought Vista was all working fine!!

Just remember the months of "fun" everyone had migrating from Win2000 to XP a few years back and how many applications and peripheral drivers were broken. IIRC there were no issues with my Palms from 98 to 2000 to XP.
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    Well today I gave Vista Business edition and my Treo more of a Test.
    So far everything seems to be working fine.

I succesfully have:
    • Installed photos to the treo.
    • Installed a wav file and played it in Pocket Tunes
    • Installed an application (some freeware cave game thing!)
    • Used the general PIM functions of the Desktop software.

I installed all the files by using the Right Click send to Quick install method.

So far I haven't had any issues with using Vista and the Treo. (And Palm Desktop actually looks a bit nicer!)
    Well today I gave Vista Business edition and my Treo more of a Test.
    So far everything seems to be working fine.

I succesfully have:
    • Installed photos to the treo.
    • Installed a wav file and played it in Pocket Tunes
    • Installed an application (some freeware cave game thing!)
    • Used the general PIM functions of the Desktop software.

I installed all the files by using the Right Click send to Quick install method.

So far I haven't had any issues with using Vista and the Treo. (And Palm Desktop actually looks a bit nicer!)
    Are you syncing to Palm Desktop or to Outlook, and if Outlook which version? Do you get any messages when you are running the hotsync? I understood that anytime Quick Install ran it would give compatability errors.

Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    Are you syncing to Palm Desktop or to Outlook, and if Outlook which version? Do you get any messages when you are running the hotsync? I understood that anytime Quick Install ran it would give compatability errors.
    I'm just syncing with Palm Desktop not with Outlook..so maybe that's where some people are having their issues. I haven't specifically checked for any errors on the sync list...everything does seem to work though...

My main PC is still my home computer that has XP home...I just find it handy to have all the PIM info available on my work laptop too (with Vista)
    (One of the things I like about Palm Desktop is the way it just seems to work..even across multiple installs.)
    I would love to only use the Palm Desktop but our company uses Outlook for a lot of scheduling so it is necessary to use it instead. I'm curious if you have tried to install any programs like an ebook reader or games, and how the QuickInstall worked. If I understand you, you just drag'n'dropped the programs to the QuickInstall and they went to the device. Is that correct? So far I am using my office computer for all of the installs, since it's running XP.
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    I would love to only use the Palm Desktop but our company uses Outlook for a lot of scheduling so it is necessary to use it instead. I'm curious if you have tried to install any programs like an ebook reader or games, and how the QuickInstall worked. If I understand you, you just drag'n'dropped the programs to the QuickInstall and they went to the device. Is that correct? So far I am using my office computer for all of the installs, since it's running XP.
    G'day again "ivhs72"..hope Oregon is going well...never been anywhere near that side of the planet...but hopefully will get there someday!

Anyway...when I install stuff for the Treo I find it easiest to navigate in my file manager (in my case Directory Opus..but regular Windows works the same) to wherever the file or program or mp3 or whatever is located I want to install and then I right click and choose "Send to...PalmOne Quick Install".

That automatically puts the file in the sync queue..and next sync everything syncs over....I'm not sure if that's really the orthodox way to go about it..but hey it works for me...

I don't really know why my Palm One Install works on Vista when it's not supposed to...but I'm not gonna complain that's for sure!

I haven't really tried that many things with it yet..apart from the aforementioned cave game, wav file, pictures and regular PIM stuff via the Palm Desktop/Treo.
    Vista is on the work computer..so I try to be a good boy and avoid too much Palm tinkering there! If you've got a particular freeware app you want me to try..let me know and I'll download it and test it.
    I did not try QuickInstall after reading a few notes; I did though use Pilot Install and it worked with Bluetooth very sell. My biggest complaint with Vista concerns all the prompting done by the system when it comes to different files - permissions! I have yet to find a way to turn it off.

I also discovered last night that it does not recognize my SD card or SD card reader.

Ben
    So that's interesting (in an irritating kinda way)....

Running Vista Home Premium here with Palm Desktop installed with no problem. Ditto, Quick Install seems to work - though, as noted by others above, I've only used right-click > Send to... so far.

But I disabled the ever irritating 'User Account Control' when I got tired of the nags and while everything else that is a bog standard program seemed to work OK, I couldn't get past the Desktop's Splash Screen. That's all that came up and it wouldn't go away - and nothing showed up in Task Manager to kill off.

Initially I though it was a software hiccup, so I did a Palm CD > Install Desktop > Repair with the same result. A shot in the dark, I enabled UAC again and the Desktop initiated with no problem - weird because Desktop doesn't cause UAC to activate.

This is boring as it means I need to keep the nagware running.

Hopefully Palm/ACCESS will get their act together soon and give us a piece of software that is Vista-friendly and makes sense...
    G'day again "ivhs72"..hope Oregon is going well...never been anywhere near that side of the planet...but hopefully will get there someday!

Anyway...when I install stuff for the Treo I find it easiest to navigate in my file manager (in my case Directory Opus..but regular Windows works the same) to wherever the file or program or mp3 or whatever is located I want to install and then I right click and choose "Send to...PalmOne Quick Install".

That automatically puts the file in the sync queue..and next sync everything syncs over....I'm not sure if that's really the orthodox way to go about it..but hey it works for me...

I don't really know why my Palm One Install works on Vista when it's not supposed to...but I'm not gonna complain that's for sure!

I haven't really tried that many things with it yet..apart from the aforementioned cave game, wav file, pictures and regular PIM stuff via the Palm Desktop/Treo.
    Vista is on the work computer..so I try to be a good boy and avoid too much Palm tinkering there! If you've got a particular freeware app you want me to try..let me know and I'll download it and test it.

G'day, mate. Toss a few shrimp on the barbie and I'll be right down. I've always wanted to visit down under but it just hasn't been in the stars. We've a really good local connection as well. The late Steve Irwin's wife Terry is from Eugene Oregon, about 100 miles south of where I live. We remember him coming though town, and they filmed a few times here looking at some of the local wildlife such as the cougars we have.

I'm going to try the Right-click to Quick Install. That may be the best work around, since it seems that Hotsync looks to that program to find out what it needs to install, and really doesn't run it. That would be great since I have Vista on two of the three computers that I use most of the time.

UPDATE: I tried using the "right click install to Palm Qickinstall" and Vista just poops all over itself. It asks if I trust the program that is wanting to run (Quick Install), then it comes back and asks if I trust the Installation. Then is says that the program has a problem, and is searching it's database for a solution, finds none, and will let me know when it does.
    Last edited by ivhs72; 03/03/2007 at 12:28 AM.
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    We just bought a new Vista laptop for my wife. I'm loading the 4.2 version of palm desktop which is supposed to be Vista compatable, with the exceptions noted above. The 4.2 came with my 680, but should work with my wife's 650.

Wish me luck!

Mac
    "I Sync, therefore I AM!"

BellSouth became Cingular, left for ATT, who became Cingular, who became ATT. Is that right?
    Visor Pro > Vx > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Tilt!
    The driver installation problems I had were related to my not paying attention to where the system was attempting to install from. I finally looked and noticed it was trying to find drivers from the Documents folder. I then told it to look in C:\Windows and everything is now loaded. The care reader works. I did notice that when I have two or more USB flash drives in that it will cause the Logitech USB 2.4ghz wireless mouse to stop operating. Windows Vista does not support my HP printer yet, and Omniform 5.1 does not want to scan forms using its own print driver and the graphics program I use will not load.

Oh, well.
    Ben
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    I wrote a Quick Installer (freeware) that works with Vista. It is freeware, I have placed in on my website http://btsolved.com go to the main page at the bottom click on TreoVista Simple Installer download. I have a user using it who has a Tungsten E and several with Treos, so it should work with other Palm Devices too.

http://btsolved.com/images/tv1.jpg

Take care,

Von
    Is 4.2 the latest Palm software?