1.    #1  
    I've noticed that in Palm Desktop whilst viewing a video, my Trim button briefly flashes active when a video is opened, and then grays out and is disabled once the video is loaded and ready to play (all of this in a split second). Is this a bug, or a setting somewhere I've missed?

Edit: Also, when I click the Make Video button, an error reports that "MP4, M4V, 3G2 and 3GP files will not be included in your Slide Show." I guess this means...what the heck does it mean? I don't know how to control audio/video format preferences yet, although I suppose I'll manage to figure out how to convert this stuff into AVI at some point soon (hopefully for free).

If this is all in the manual, I'm sorry. I don't do manuals. I do try to pay close attention to interfaces, prefs and settings though.
    Last edited by forteanajones; 02/22/2007 at 11:31 PM.
  2.    #2  
    I finally decided to get off my **** and go find it on the Palm support site, and lo, my KB searches failed to turn anything up, outside of this helpful statement in the user guide to which, I would like to add, I was directed by the Palm Desktop Online Help. Those little circular arrows in that hotsync icon clearly represent more than one concept.

Quote Originally Posted by treo700psprint_UG.pdf
    On a Windows computer, you can view and edit synchronized pictures and videos in the Palm Media desktop application. Open Palm® Desktop software and click the Media icon. You can refer to the Palm Desktop Online Help for information about using the Palm Media desktop application.
    Any takers?
  3.    #3  
    Could a mod please move this to the correct forum (assuming I've posted in the wrong place)? Perhaps to Palm OS Synchronization.
  4.    #4  
    Awesome.

So I go to the support site and report the issue, and get an autoresponse from support saying they have my issue logged and will contact me soon.

Several days later (today) I call support, wait a while, and get to a Palm Desktop support rep who has no idea what I'm talking about when I describe the basic functionality I'm trying to use. He has me verify my basic OS/WM version & settings, reset my phone, uninstall Palm Desktop, reboot my computer, delete my Windows temporary files, empty my browser cache, reboot my computer again, reinstall Palm Desktop once more. I do all this without any complaint. We're friendly with each other, in fact. My phone is totally fine by the end of the process, but the problem remains.

He pauses, and asks me if I have tried Google.

Excuse me?

Have you searched the Internet.

Well yes, I looked in the Palm Support KB, looked in the manual, posted on treocentral.com, and cast my net on Google. Then I found the Palm forums and found a bunch of similar complaints but no resolution. Then I called you.

Well, sometimes a feature just doesn't work and is outside the scope of support.

Excuse me? Outside the scope? This is a feature of the software you sold me we're talking about. I have a hard time believing that.

[CLICK]

Um, hello?

Beautiful. I'm totally nice, we trade jokes, everything is hunky dorey until he gets stumped.

Thanks, Sprint!

I call back, and the next person I get says she needs to direct me to Palm for this feature. She also tells me she'll mention the hang-up problem to her supervisor. I wait on hold for a while, get transferred (there is no direct Palm #, according to the Spint rep).

The Palm rep takes about five minutes to come to an understanding of the problem, troubleshoots for ten minutes on her own machine, and then tells me that I need to edit the Video using a third party product.

Third party? What's the feature for then?

I don't know, I can't get it to work either.

OK...so is it broken and can it be fixed?

I don't know, I just can't get it to work so I think it's only for pictures.

Then why are these buttons in "Edit Video"?

I don't know.

OK. You sound very nice, so don't take this personally, but can I speak to someone who does?

I wait on hold for fifteen minutes.

Tier two comes along, asks me to restate the problem, checks something, and then tells me that in order to edit the video, I need to convert it to a different format such as AVI.

Ok, convert the video...with what? The Save As button is one of the buttons that doesn't work.

No, just convert it with some other software.

Wait, so you sell me this phone with this software, and the software says it will edit the video, but you're telling me that it actually can't edit the video until I go out, buy some other software, convert it, and put it back into Palm Desktop? That's really strange.

You say it's 'strange'...do you mean that you don't like the answer, or that you don't believe it?

Well, both, sort of. Are you just guessing at this, or is this in your Knowlege Base or something?

It's...known.

Well, can you email me a summary of your answer?

I don't have that capability. I can email you from my personal email, though.

That's fine. I just want to complain about this problem, because it has wasted a lot of my time and now I find out it won't work unless I buy more software. I'm mad that I've had to go through all this.

I actually can't email you.

What? You won't do it now?

No, sorry.

OK.

So are we done?

Yeah, I guess we are.

Well, on behalf of Palm I want to tha...

Thanks, goodbye. [CLICK]
    Last edited by forteanajones; 02/26/2007 at 04:43 PM.
    Aahh the joys of Palm tech support.
  6.    #6  
    Spitting out more informative and less infuriating email dialogue (emphasis mine):

Support case created (Feb 24, 2007):

In Palm Desktop (I have a brand-new Treo 700p) when I launch the Video Editor, several buttons gray out immediately after the editor launches: "Trim", "Undo", "Redo, the other "Trim" (down below), "Save" and "Save as". Also, back in Palm Desktop -> Media, when I click the "Make Video" button, an error reports that "MP4, M4V, 3G2 and 3GP files will not be included in your Slide Show." I do not know what this means.

I would like to do the basic video editing that comes with this software, but in my searches through various settings and online resources (including your Help site) I have not come up with the solution.

Initial Sprint response (Feb 27, 2007):

Thank you for taking the time to contact us here at Sprint. Unfortunately these particular features of the Palm desktop application are not items that we support. That may be part of the reason you were unable to find an appropriate subject for the contact us link. I will try my very best to be of assistance. Otherwise, this product is designed by palm just as your phone is. Visit palm.com/us/support to see their knowledge base.

My thoughts are that the grayed out options are as a result of not having a file selected or by having one selected that is not supported such as the 3gp, 3g2 etc. formats cited below.

With regards to your "error reports that "MP4, M4V, 3G2 and 3GP files will not be included in your Slide Show" questions. This means that the Palm Desktop is not capable of playing those types of files and may require an external player to be viewed. Most of the formats you cited are video formats playable in the Apple Quick Time player which is free if you don't have it. You can download this at apple.com.

Hopefully this gave you at least some insight. If you have any more questions about your Sprint device, write back and we'll do everything we can to assist you! Thank you for choosing Sprint and have a good day.

My response to Sprint (Feb 27, 2007):

Thanks very much for your reply. I'd appreciate clarification on the following:

Support: "My thoughts are that the grayed out options are as a result of not having a file selected or by having one selected that is not supported such as the 3gp, 3g2 etc. formats cited below."

The file in question was selected and double-clicked, resulting in the launch of the Video Editor. You can't "select" the file any more than that, as far as I can tell. Regarding the format, I am using the default and native format, which is .3G2. Does the Palm Desktop not support .3G2? If that is the case, I'm really confused, because that is the only format the device can create.

Support: "With regards to your "error reports that "MP4, M4V, 3G2 and 3GP files will not be included in your Slide Show" questions. This means that the Palm Desktop is not capable of playing those types of files and may require an external player to be viewed. Most of the formats you cited are video formats playable in the Apple Quick Time player which is free if you don't have it. You can download this at apple.com.

The Treo 700p actually *creates* its video in the .3G2 format. Are you telling me that the Palm Desktop Video Editor isn't designed to edit Treo-generated video content? Why would anyone bother to even use the Palm Desktop Video Editor at all if that's the case?

Sprint's reply (Mar 1, 2007):

Thank you for taking the time to write us back John. In response to your first question, you are right, the native format is 3g2 and for some reason the Palm Desktop application does not support it. I think that the reason is Palm Desktop is really more housing for your data rather than the manipulation of data; more especially in the media arena. It has been many years since the first release of Palm Desktop and while it has improved over the years it has been subtle and most improvements are geared toward PIM Data protection. PIM data = Contacts, Cal, Memos, Tasks.

In order to edit these types of files you really wouldn't want to use palm desktop even if you could. QuickTime pro, (that annoying notice you get every time you're forced to use QuickTime to view a file) will allow for editing and even enhance your experience when using QuickTime and that is what I recommend. Purchasing that would also give you the ability to save and store incoming streams at whim.

As far as slide shows go, slide shows are typically pictures only anyway and the formats listed as unsupported are all video. My experience with slide shows tells me that even if it did support the video formats it would be awkward in appearance. You'd be looking at pictures scrolling by full screen and then when it would get to the video you'd see the window go from full screen to the original video size that the treo recorded the video in. As for using the slide show for pictures, don't even bother. The same type of functionality is provided by windows. You will find that the media sync functions of Palm Desktop is imperfect. I recommend you regularly go to my pictures and look for the shortcut to PalmOne Photos, cut and paste your media and move it into my pictures/my videos etc. Sometimes the changing of a username or the need for a hard reset can wipe out your pictures and this will help avoid it.

I hope you found this info helpful. I hate to be the one to tell you that the Palm Desktop is seemingly worthless for part of its functionality but at the very least we can call it imperfect and avoiding using it for media could avoid future frustrations. Trust me, after 2 years of carrying a treo 650 and twice having wiped out my pictures, the best thing to do is trust windows. At least it only crashes every few years.

My final reply to Sprint (Mar 1, 2007):

Support: "In response to your first question, you are right, the native format is 3g2 and for some reason the Palm Desktop application does not support it. I think that the reason is Palm Desktop is really more housing for your data rather than the manipulation of data; more especially in the media arena. It has been many years since the first release of Palm Desktop and while it has improved over the years it has been subtle and most improvements are geared toward PIM Data protection. PIM data = Contacts, Cal, Memos, Tasks."

Yes, I had a feeling that this was the case. But the fact is, the Video Editor was designed and constructed with these features in place, and yet the features are not functional. This is not only highly misleading, but is even a form of false advertising, in that you are giving the customer a Video Editor that is in fact a Video Player. Secondly, your statement that the Palm Desktop is really more of a repository than a data management tool isn't totally true -- Contact Management, Calendar, Memos and Tasks are all fully-functional, as compared to Video Editor which is nearly useless.

The Slideshow thing is not really an issue for me. I was just pointing it out because the button generated an error, and I was curious to know what the heck the feature was intended for. As you have pointed out, it's pretty doubtful anyone would ever want to create a slideshow for video.

So for this issue, in a nutshell I want to convey my strong disappointment to the Palm product management team for allowing a fake feature to be created. Please, please communicate this in such a way that it actually makes it to that group.
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    Just read with interest your thread...

Listened yesterday to a rather interesting/amusing podcast at the dv show:

http://thedvshow.com/podcasts/
    (26th February Podcast)

They were posing the question: How do you capture video from a Treo that one can then edit in a Video Editor.

The host actually rang Palm and recorded the conversation...is quite funny..coz it sounds a lot like the Palm rep has no idea what he's talking about!

Anyway I've tried this myself on my Treo 680...I can actually view my video fine on the PC from within Palm Desktop Media...but I also have no way of doing a nice little "Save as" to a video editing friendly format..such a pity when the desktop app goes oh so close to doing it!
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    Well I just did some more playing....

Found this program:
    Mobile 3gp convertor

http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/M...converter.html

I then was able to use it to convert a video from 3gp over to regular AVI.

I then imported into Premiere Pro...and after overcoming an issue of the footage being upside down...found everything worked fine!
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mavoz View Post
    The host actually rang Palm and recorded the conversation...is quite funny..coz it sounds a lot like the Palm rep has no idea what he's talking about!
    I was also somewhat amused, but ultimately my patience and good humor failed to pay off.

Found this program:
    Mobile 3gp convertor
    It's always great to hear about free little utilities like the one you mentioned. Fortunately, I already have access to another tool which I didn't have to pay for, but that sure doesn't assuage the Palm Desktop goof or their attitude about it.

Here's the latest (dated Mar 3):

Quote Originally Posted by SprintTechnicalSupport@sprint.com
    Sprint ® recently received an email reply from you, and a transcript of our previous email conversation is listed at the end of this message. The following information will be useful in resolving the issue you are experiencing, and may require a response from you:

Thank you for contacting Sprint together with Nextel. I apologize for the difficulties you are experiencing with Palms video editor program. I have forwarded this information to our device team to log the issue and for possible additional research into the issue. At this time there is no estimated time of completion or repair due to it not being Sprint software we will need to pass the information on to Palm. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. We do appreciate your business here at Sprint. Have a great day.

We look forward to your continued business with Sprint and hope that this information is helpful! Thank you for choosing Sprint together with Nextel.
  10.    #10  
    Nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sprint Support
    Thank you for contacting Sprint together with Nextel Advanced Technical Support E-Care Tickets Group. At this time there is nothing new from Palm's support site (www.palm.com) on this issue. You might want to check with Palm directly on this matter. They offer free support for all Sprint customers. Their number is 866-750-7256. I apologize for the inconvenience this has caused you.