1.    #1  
    It's the new CrackBerry 8800. They fixed most of the issues:

- replaced verichat with push email that works.
    - bluetooth is working.
    - i've had no resets in over 8 hours of use.

Plus somehow they got a cleaner/thinner/lighter form factor squeezed into the ROM update. Wow, those Palm guys are really cool.

;-)
    Is this anything to do with 700P???
    Have fun with your Crackberry. Buh-Bye
    Quote Originally Posted by blulite View Post
    It's the new CrackBerry 8800. They fixed most of the issues:

- replaced verichat with push email that works.
    - bluetooth is working.
    - i've had no resets in over 8 hours of use.

Plus somehow they got a cleaner/thinner/lighter form factor squeezed into the ROM update. Wow, those Palm guys are really cool.

;-)
    "replaced verichat with push email that works" - 1. Verichat would have nothing to do with ROM. 2. Verichat has nothing to do with Push Email.
    Last edited by BabelFish; 02/23/2007 at 11:10 AM.
    "So long and thanks for all the Treos!"
    Misleading title. Just added you and your 8 posts to my ignore list.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    I think (and I could be wrong) that it is a sarcastic post, implying that by using the Blackberry (and abandoning the Treo), it cured (the equivalent of the much anticipated ROM update) all of the problems in one fell swoop.
    The update also killed her battery life, killed her touchscreen, killed her A2DP, killed her SDHC support, killed her screen resolution, killed her ability to edit Office documents and killed her ability to use 3rd party apps. Sweet.
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    The update also killed her battery life, killed her touchscreen, killed her A2DP, killed her SDHC support, killed her screen resolution, killed her ability to edit Office documents and killed her ability to use 3rd party apps. Sweet.
    See.. Now that was funny
    "So long and thanks for all the Treos!"
    No resets in over 8 hours of use. Gosh, my 700p went months with no problems. Push mail that works? I use ChatterEmail and two push mail servers. Bluetooth? Not a problem, use it a lot. What is her problem? Ben
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    But, she gained onboard GPS and a stable mobile device.

You have some misconceptions about Blackberry devices, let me clear them up for you:

I got 2-3 times the battery life out of my 8700 than I do my 700p.
    I was able to edit Office documents on my 8700, with a 3rd party app. uh-oh, there goes your claim about no 3rd party app support.

And I love how POS users always clamor about 3rd party apps when 80-90 percent of them make the 700p a reset machine.

The 700p is crap and I loathe my employer for making me give up my 8700 for this trash. I remember the days when I went on business trips and didn't need my laptop. Those days are over, thanks to my wonderful 700p.
    Someone needs a Kleenex to dry her little eyes.
    "I got 2-3 times the battery life out of my 8700 than I do my 700p."

Is your 8700 on EVDO (or some other 3G network), or is it on EDGE/GPRS? Unfortunately, 3G capability makes for major battery drain (not that I'd ever give it up for a slower connection).
    Quote Originally Posted by rsdmems View Post
    "I got 2-3 times the battery life out of my 8700 than I do my 700p."

Is your 8700 on EVDO (or some other 3G network), or is it on EDGE/GPRS? Unfortunately, 3G capability makes for major battery drain (not that I'd ever give it up for a slower connection).
    Considering the 700p gets 5hrs of talk time with the standard battery and just over 6hrs with the aftermarket one, that BB must get close to 20hrs of talk time. Gee, I can't believe they don't advertise that fact a little more.
    "Considering the 700p gets 5hrs of talk time with the standard battery and just over 6hrs with the aftermarket one, that BB must get close to 20hrs of talk time..."

No, the big savings is with the standby time-- it's over 20 days in the new 8800, because it only runs on EDGE (so far), rather than 3G. They're going to have a 3G version out by year-end, and it'll be interesting to see how that affects standby battery life.
    Does the 8700 support A2DP? Can you tether a laptop to it for internet access? Does it have any add-on support for financial programs? Does it support SDHC? Are there any 3rd party IM apps for it? How about real-time, voice guided GPS?
    How do you like the 4 hours of talk time on the Blackberry? Can you customize your launcher like I can with Zlauncher? How do you like the lower resolution screen?

Personally, my Treo works very well and I rarely get resets. I have a little bit of lag, but it's nothing terrible. Just like with past Palm apps, they'll release the ROM update and all of these issues will disappear, and the love will spring eternal. The 700p is one update away from perfect.
    Last edited by adjmcloon; 02/24/2007 at 11:42 AM.
    There's no use trying to puff up any blackberry here at TreoCentral.

This is Sparta.
    Quote Originally Posted by rsdmems View Post
    No, the big savings is with the standby time-- it's over 20 days in the new 8800, because it only runs on EDGE (so far), rather than 3G. They're going to have a 3G version out by year-end, and it'll be interesting to see how that affects standby battery life.
    I guess the standby time is a serious consideration with the Blackberry, since there isn't much to do with them outside phoning and email. I loathed the one my employer stuck me with a couple years ago - no signal in the middle of a major technological-hub city, no touch screen, that awful jog dial, non-ergonomic mini-chicklet keyboard, etc. I've even seen the latest and greatest Blackberry in stores, and the keyboard still sucks.

Palm does need some serious competition in order to get themselves together - but the Blackberry isn't it (unless "push email" is your top and only need). The plethora of knockoff WinceMob "smartphones" come close to the lameness of the WM Treos, but it's still Windows Mobile....
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by ceebz View Post
    You have some misconceptions about Blackberry devices, let me clear them up for you:

I got 2-3 times the battery life out of my 8700 than I do my 700p.
    I was able to edit Office documents on my 8700, with a 3rd party app. uh-oh, there goes your claim about no 3rd party app support.

And I love how POS users always clamor about 3rd party apps when 80-90 percent of them make the 700p a reset machine.
    Perhaps you have a few "misconceptions" about the 700p, yourself. If you found that 80-90% of third-party apps made your 700p a "reset machine" then you must have gone far out of your way to pick only the really bad ones (of which there are few). I probably have 400 third-party applications (some several years old) available on my device, and though there is an occasional reset (which isn't exactly fun), for the most part the apps and device are rock stable.

The lag issue and bluetooth loss are legitimate gripes, and Palm should hear about them loudly. But I'm actually amazed at how well the developer community has continued to write and support extremely innovative applications for the PalmOS in spite of how ancient the OS is. And considering Palm is now apparently "grafting" PalmOS onto hardware designed for the WinceMob garbage, all things considered the Treo 700p is quite an accomplishment. Though Palm can and should certainly do better.

I wonder if a third party application ever negatively affected a Blackberry? If so, I could get a stock BB, install that app, and I'd have a verifiable claim: "100% of third party apps make the Blackberry a reset machine." (So much for statistics).
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.