Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by skillllllz View Post
    How many of you know that Marc Blank is the original creator of Zork?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marc_Blank
    Wow. That was a classic.
    I have fond memories of playing Zork over 25 years ago.

I guess Marc loves working on text-based apps.

I think this is great news for Palm. I'm looking forward to seeing what he produces next.
    Quote Originally Posted by Merlyn_3D View Post
    Um....Palm dumping Linux would NOT be a good thing. They need a new more modern OS if anything to be able to handle the hardware and communications technologies coming out (like UMTS). GarnetOS can't run UMTS. They really really need something new.
    That PalmOS/ GarnetOS need updating is true. But that Linux is the replacement is questionable.

Consider that despite all the fuss about Linux (and the whole army of developers, and availabliy of free and opensource software for it) , it has not replaced Windows. There are still no good productivity and business software for Linux. I feel that the only thing Linux excels in is as a web server - it is unmatched.

- mvk
    Maybe (in ADDITION to furthur development of Chatter as the new default e-mail app on Garnet/Linux based Treos) we'll see a palm port of Zork??

... maybe with a bundled portable keyboard.
    "Everybody Palm!"

Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
    So, what's the latest version of Chatter you all have been using? I'm currently on 2.02p3+ with 4.25MB of internal memory left...Sprint T650...safe to upgrade to 3.0XX without causing too much trouble?
  5.    #65  
    I think it was 3.0.6.1+ and a 3.0.6.2rc1 or something similar was available OTA. You should be fine.
    PIII,PIIIx,V,Vx,M505,M515,TT,T3,650,700p=>>iPhone
    There's more to life than technology....but not a whole lot more
    In my opinion, this can only be seen as a good sign with respect to Palm. Hopefully they can persuade more developers to come and work for them as well as I've always said that the default Palm programs are so crappy compared to what's available even for free from third parties.

Sad to hear that development for Chatter will stop but glad to hear that Palm has finally decided to get better talent on their side.
    Flash demos, reviews of PDA and smartphone apps and contests at Palm Discovery . How to do Palm resets. T/T2/T3/Treo screws
    Global Posts
    217 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zelgo View Post
    Although Marc did a fine job with Chatter and I wish him the best at PALM, I will say that one of Marc's drawbacks was a nasty, mean streak that would emerge if anyone said anything against Chatter. His attacks were always personal--about how stupid and evil the poster must be.

If he's like that in person, I wouldn't want to be working with him. Good luck, Palm.
    Have ever worked at a help desk or complaint department? You will get the strangest request, or the complaining customer make an illogical, false, or even worse vague statements of the problems they are having with the product. It takes a person with lot of self control not to tell the customer what he really thinks. In a software development you will be working with professionals and most likely get into same situations that support staff sees. I think Marc will do well at Palm.
    Although Marc did a fine job with Chatter and I wish him the best at PALM, I will say that one of Marc's drawbacks was a nasty, mean streak that would emerge if anyone said anything against Chatter. His attacks were always personal--about how stupid and evil the poster must be.

If he's like that in person, I wouldn't want to be working with him. Good luck, Palm.
    Good thing you took the high road.
    Pete
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEMT View Post
    Good thing you took the high road.
    1. HTC Touch Dual Neon 300, Stock Rom
    2. AT&T Tilt (Refurb) with DK.8 Rom (collecting dust)
    Yes, Zelgo, my friend, I've been "nasty" to exactly three people here in the last four years. I'm sure it's a distinction you wear with honor.

Marc

If you are like most of us that followed Marc and jumped on ever new update to Chatter. Which seemed like every week, then you probably saw 1/10th of the nagging that Marc probably goes threw. I admired his patience and helpfulness when he was constantly bombarded with questions in which he helped most to right whatever wrong there was. Which almost all the time related to a device error or another 3party app error unrelated to Chatter. If Marc only fessed up 3 times, and told a user what he really thought then that's awesome. I am a good guy and am wonderful to work with but I would have given a user their due,,,,,,,, a lot more than 3 times!!!
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Hey Marc, Best of Luck at Palm. Although you can't chat, this has to be great news for all Chatter POS users. It can only mean that the next generation POS will incorporate a new email client that will mirror the functionality of Chatter on a vastly improved POS (no need to comment here).

I do have 1 question for you: Palm stated yesterday that they will be releasing an OS patch in the next 2 months. Should that patch be problematic for the most recent beta of Chatter (I'm using 3.0.6.2.rc1) will there be a Chatter upgrade available?

Thx,

Alan
    BB GoAmerica > BB Earthlink > Verizon Treo 600 > Sprint Treo 650 > Sprint Treo 700p > Sprint Treo 755p & Sprint MotoQ
    Mark has always adressed my issues with chatter which were very few and usually were non chatter related - His speed and help was much appreciated.

Marc, please ignore posts like Zelgo's !
    Fred
    Cingular 680
    And yet, once again, instead of holding his head high with dignity, Marc sets off after yet another nasty jab.

I have nothing against you personally--but you sure don't seem to like some people on here personally.

No user "deserves" their "due" just because Marc can't control himself. How would you like it if you walked into a store, criticized a product which you didn't think was as heavenly as everyone else seemed to, and then got yelled at and called nasty names by the store owner? Do you think you would be getting your "due" just because you had a different reaction to the product?

Yes, Marc may be a great programmer for Palm programs and very responsible to thse who buy his product, but that doesn't suddenly mean he's a great guy. He's a great guy only if you like his products.

Again. Marc, best of luck.
    In order to prevent wasted time I must know what your goal in this thread is. If it is only to complain about Marc then there is no point in addressing your opinions in a professional manner. If it is to change the opinions of others then others will need a copy of the communications in which you base your opinions. If the goal is a desire to formulate an opinion for yourself and you need information then again the 2nd requirement is needed. Which one most closely resembles your situation or is there a motive I failed to address. Again, there are 3 basic choices:

A) I wish to only complain.
    B) I wish to change the opinions of others.
    C) I wish to solidify my own opinion.

Don't get me wrong I'm not being a smart @$$. I just think such matters should be discussed with clarity and respect.
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesRitter View Post
    In order to prevent wasted time I must know what your goal in this thread is. If it is only to complain about Marc then there is no point in addressing your opinions in a professional manner. If it is to change the opinions of others then others will need a copy of the communications in which you base your opinions. If the goal is a desire to formulate an opinion for yourself and you need information then again the 2nd requirement is needed. Which one most closely resembles your situation or is there a motive I failed to address. Again, there are 3 basic choices:

A) I wish to only complain.
    B) I wish to change the opinions of others.
    C) I wish to solidify my own opinion.

Don't get me wrong I'm not being a smart @$$. I just think such matters should be discussed with clarity and respect.
    Thank you for dealing with the poster's comment about Marc Blank in an adult manner. I had a couple of stabs at writing a response and decided not to post them. I couldn't find the Adult Module activation switch.
    shill
    Marc, good luck at Palm.

Zelgo, please respond to Mr Ritter's request. Or you could just shut up.
    My hope is only to wish Marc the best at Palm.
    Me too because if one of my little angels colored a picture for me like the one in Marcs avatar it would cause me to cut my work ours.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chatter View Post
    Yes, Zelgo, my friend, I've been "nasty" to exactly three people here in the last four years. I'm sure it's a distinction you wear with honor.

Marc

cheers and good luck at Palm, marc
    Last edited by shadowboxer; 03/03/2007 at 10:28 AM.
    Nanotechnology Nerd
    i300-->i330-->i500-->6700(1 wk!)-->Sprintt650-->gsm650-->HTC Universal (1 mo.)-->gsm650-->Cing8525(3wks!)-->gsm650
    zelgo I agree with you 100%. You did express yourself clearly & with respect. It's a shame that because you don't agree with the status quo, most people here are down on you. I have never had bad dealings with Marc but his response did seem a bit defensive, negative & telling... If you work in any industry as the "boss" you should expect & welcome people's complaints, suggestions & comments. If he doesn't like dealing with people then he should hire someone else to be the "face" of Chatter. Then again it is moot point at this point. All that said, I wish him the best.
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast