Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Congrats Marc, and good luck. I hope you make a bank!!!
    I feel sorry for Scott (developer of Moxsi) who has been working on XchangeSync as a plugin for a dead product walking (Chatter + EXPlugin).
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    hmm, very bittersweet. agreed
    Quote Originally Posted by forteanajones View Post
    Wow, so adding this to the loss of Snappermail (my main environment disallows POP/IMAP), I guess this reduces my email thin clients down to exactly one, VersaMail.

Well, at least web browsing got easy and I have two great choices there.
    I've not heard anything about Snappermail?
    Quote Originally Posted by forteanajones View Post
    Wow, so adding this to the loss of Snappermail (my main environment disallows POP/IMAP), I guess this reduces my email thin clients down to exactly one, VersaMail.
    Chatter is still functional. I expect to keep using it for years (if I don't upgrade to the next Palm OS (Linux) Treo).
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    How many of you know that Marc Blank is the original creator of Zork?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marc_Blank
    Quote Originally Posted by skillllllz View Post

Yeah, and a med school graduate too???

Marc, my palm is hurting...

http://www.jahtari.org/magazine/IF/i...shots/zork.gif
  8. dpc
    Global Posts
    439 Global Posts
    This is somewhat sad news for Chattermail users, but GREAT news for the Palm community!
    Quote Originally Posted by bclancy View Post
    Marc,
    Any chance of you Open Sourcing ChatterEmail?
    I sent Marc this same question to his support email address. He answered indicating such a decison is no longer his to make, but that he didn't think that open sourcing ChatterEmail would be likeky.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Quote Originally Posted by bclancy View Post
    I sent Marc this same question to his support email address. He answered indicating such a decison is no longer his to make
    OMG! He has sold Chatter to Palm!!
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad View Post
    OMG! He has sold Chatter to Palm!!
    We don't know if it's Palm or some other company that's supporting Chatter.
    (I'm guessing your right, but since Marc didn't say, I'm leaving well enough alone for the moment.)

Edit:
    <speculation>
    <comment>
    "If Palm does have rights to ChatterEmail, then it is very likely that Chatter will replace VersaMail in the next Treo release."
    </comment>
    <prediction>
    "Maybe Marc is working on this. If so, obviously he could not comment on such a thing"
    </prediction>
    <future outlook="rosy"/>
    </speculation>
    Last edited by sudoer; 02/23/2007 at 11:29 AM.
    <Random code>
    I liked Chatter on the PalmOS platform. I liked the PalmOS platform. Both stopped being so useful when we implemented an Exchange Server at work.

Unfortunately I am now a happy 700wx owner. The PalmOS and Chatter are a thing of the past.

I hope that Marc + Palm = robust and reliable connection to Exchange Server, on an OS that incorporates the best of WM (multitasking, wifi) and the best of PalmOS (eye candy, lotsa great 3rd party software, and ease of use).

Good luck, Marc. I will echo a comment earlier in the thread. Once you've been self-employed it's a hard transition to go back to corporate wage slave. I hope they treat you well. You can bring great product development skills to the table. But vastly more important, you will bring (if they'll let you) great powers of communication with the customers. Your constant presence on this website was why I bought a Chatter license.
    </random code>
    Quote Originally Posted by skillllllz View Post

Interesting.. I looked into this, and I see the following..

From his Wikipedia page:
    Marc left Sony in 2004, and is now focused on his email client for the Palm Treo smartphone, ChatterEmail.

From the Syphon Filter wikipedia page:
    Syphon Filter: The Omega Strain (2004)

Now we see why he left in 2004. Omega Strain was godawful ;-)
    Actually, I didn't have much to do with Omega Strain, but I was involved with the PS1 Syphon Filters...

Marc
    The way I see this is that it is HUGE news for the Palm community. How could palm OS be dead (i.e. they are not improving it any more) if they have just hired Marc? We all know Marc is not a WM developer. Palm MUST still think they can do something big with the PalmOS.
    3 Sharp Wizards (who can remember the model #'s anymore?) -> REX -> PalmPilot -> PalmPilot w/1 MB Upgrade -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm m505 -> Treo 90 -> Treo 600 (Sprint) -> Treo 650 (Sprint) -> Treo 700p (Sprint) -> Treo 755p (Sprint) -> Centro (KB & Batt too small) -> Treo 755p & Black Centro

Current "essential" programs: Chatter, 2day, TakePhone, SplashID, PalmPDF, 4Cast, DA, GoogleMaps, BackupMan, PowerHero, KeyCaps, LudusP, mSafe, TextPlus, VolumeCare, ePocrates, zLauncher.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tastypeppers View Post
    .. Good luck, Marc. I will echo a comment earlier in the thread. Once you've been self-employed it's a hard transition to go back to corporate wage slave. ...
    Even being self-employed, you still have to answer to the customer, and customers (even me) are not always friendly. My customer expectations for ChatterEmail went to a higher level than was reasonable. For example: Marc had given me my registration code (on about 3 separate occasions) when I had lost the original email, etc. (until I got smart and started storing these things in a password safe). Because he had remembered what product I had purchased the first two times, I had assumed he kept a record of purchases/registrations. When (last time) he coudn't find any previous email indicating what I had purchased, he asked me for proof of purchase. I was fuming about this as I had expected him to remember something he never said he would do. (I finally found my old licesnse key by restoring a previous password safe from a backup, and this was proof-enough for Marc.) The bottom line is, that even normally nice <or at least I'd like to think so> people like me can be very demanding, to the point which supporting such people no longer becomes cost-effective, but when in business for yourself, you have to take the good with the bad. I'm guessing that Marc may have got tired of the increasing burden of supporting users with perpetual licenses, and that a combination of unloading this burden plus having more influence in making Palm products better may have been factors in his decision.
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetfreak View Post
    The way I see this is that it is HUGE news for the Palm community. How could palm OS be dead (i.e. they are not improving it any more) if they have just hired Marc? We all know Marc is not a WM developer. Palm MUST still think they can do something big with the PalmOS.
    I totally agree. Either GarnetOS or the Linux follow-on. (My guess is both.)
    I'll also state that I hope hiring 3rd party developers and "in-housing" some apps to be delivered with the device, is a trend/stragegy that Palm will continue. I suspect this is in some ways a reaction to Apple's strategy of indicating they will include needed apps with the device. Palm can accomplish this in many ways, but I'm really glad to see that Marc chose to join the Palm team.
    They did that early on with Datebook (now datebk6) and CESD.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    The little travel expense package from Adarian is a gem. Palm should aquire that (along with the companion desktop application) and have it as a standard feature in the next Treo. I seem to remember long ago in my pre-Treo days that my Palm III (or was it the Tungsten) had a built-in expense tracker.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast