Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hello!
    Just a quick product update. Thanks to all our BETA testers who helped us weed out (hopefully) all of the bugs. If you haven't checked out xWeather since the first release, we've added a lot of features requested by you. We hope you like it.

Download xWeather 1.1.0

xWeather Feature List Includes:
    • Unlimited Profiles
    • Multiple Weather Sources
      - NOAA (www.noaa.gov) Supported
      - YAHOO (weather.yahoo.com) Supported
      - Source is Selectable per profile
    • Tabbed interface for easy one hand navigation
    • Current Conditions
    • 5 Day Forecast
    • Detailed Forecast
      - Includes % Chance of Rain
      - Integrated in Current Conditions Tav (scrolling text)
      - Integrated in Forecast Tab (Tap on the day)
    • Alerts
      - Warning, Watches, and Advisories
    • Customizable Radar and Satellite Images
      - Use default or Specify URL to any jpg (<62K)
      - Image Tabs can be Removed (if Desired)
      - Add up to 4 More Custom Image Tabs per Profile
      - Tap and Drag to Pan Image (Using Stylus or Finger)
    • Images Zoom
      - Hit Treo Center Button for Zoom Menu, or
      - Pulldown Zoom Menu
    • Profile Archiving
      - Archive for Later Use (Perfect For Frequent Travelers)
    • Optimized for the Palm TREO
    • FAST jpeg decoding
      - Native ARMlet decoding
    • High Resolution

enjoy!
    Tks for the update.

Will give it a go.
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    Global Posts
    591 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by moxsi View Post
    Hello!
    Just a quick product update. Thanks to all our BETA testers who helped us weed out (hopefully) all of the bugs. If you haven't checked out xWeather since the first release, we've added a lot of features requested by you. We hope you like it.

Suggest you rename it xWeatherUSA.
    geoff

Treo 650 1.20 LAP.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by TRgEOff View Post
    Suggest you rename it xWeatherUSA.
    an international version is in the works. if you are savvy and a little brave, ..email me (scott@moxsi.com) and i can send you instructions on how to create non-US profiles.
    Like the new zoom feature using the 5-way nav center button.
    iPhone 4S
    Cigar Lover
    I love this! The design/layout are exactly how "it ought to be!" I like this MUCH BETTER than Treociel, which is a little weird . . . just differences in how we're "wired," I guess. I'm going to buy it right now!!! Best Palm OS weather app to date!

Suggestion for enhancements: Add Moon data: 1) Pictorial phases, 2) Rise/Set times (and "Trans" if possible - means moon is half way between rise and set), 3) selectable by date, i.e. can plan a hiking trip next October to coincide with a full moon period! That would be way cool!
    Lord, who will we go to? You have the words of eternal life. Jn 6:68 <><
    PDA "trail" > Sharp Wizard OZ-750 > Palm M100 > Visor Deluxe > Visor Prism > Sony T665C > Sony NX80V > Sony TH55(2) > Palm Treo 700p
    Quote Originally Posted by wellsjs View Post
    Suggestion for enhancements: Add Moon data: 1) Pictorial phases, 2) Rise/Set times (and "Trans" if possible - means moon is half way between rise and set), 3) selectable by date, i.e. can plan a hiking trip next October to coincide with a full moon period! That would be way cool!
    I understand that an integrated feature is better, but I'm assuming you know about RiseSet which gives everything you asked for, for both Sun and Moon, and if freeware to boot. Been using it for years back to the days of my Vx.
    don't see auto updates???

what features are "new" exactly over the beta?
    Fred
    Cingular 680
    I just installed and registered xWeather after quickly checking it out. I like the interface, and everthing so far seems to work okay. Just the other day, I also paid for 4Cast too. This is all because TreoAlarm stopped working suddenly and now I'm peeved and want to find suitable replacements.

At this point for me, reliability of use is more important than 101 bells and whistles. After all, we're just talking about giving the weather info whenever we want it...not asking for rocket science technology. If the weather is accurate, then all the better. But please, please, please let the app simply work reliably so I don't have to keep checking for alternatives.
    Casey
    Sprint 755p, 700p, 650 - I am not a geek! Really!
    WOW!

Very impressive!

JI just installed it within the hour, so will test it for a few days, but am sure at this point that I will be a buyer!!!

Thanks for a great app!
    RJuhl
    I would like to see a 2Day plugin for xWeather.
    Great job Scott,
    As usual, each release adds value.
    Good Luck
    iPhone 4S
    Cigar Lover
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by wellsjs View Post
    I love this! The design/layout are exactly how "it ought to be!" I like this MUCH BETTER than Treociel, which is a little weird . . . just differences in how we're "wired," I guess. I'm going to buy it right now!!! Best Palm OS weather app to date!

thanks wellsys, ...i'll check into the moon data and see what YAHOO/NOAA has to offer. if you create a YAHOO profile, you will get sunrise/sunset times. NOAA currently doesn't provide that info.

Quote Originally Posted by fkjr2 View Post
    don't see auto updates???
    what features are "new" exactly over the beta?
    if you were using the latest BETA, ..there are no new features. auto-update was going to be via the chatter background engine, ...but that is not going to happen (long story). so, i've started working on a foreground auto-update feature.

Quote Originally Posted by Casey Cheung View Post
    At this point for me, reliability of use is more important than 101 bells and whistles. After all, we're just talking about giving the weather info whenever we want it...not asking for rocket science technology. If the weather is accurate, then all the better. But please, please, please let the app simply work reliably so I don't have to keep checking for alternatives.
    xWeather is a weather browser, so it relies on external sources for the weather data (YAHOO and/or NOAA).

YAHOO - very reliable. the weather doesnt seem to be as accurate as NOAA. the forecast resolution is based on your city. but, very reliable.

NOAA - very accurate. if you use a zipcode (instead of city/state) to create a profile, the forecast resolution is accurate to the zipcode (xWeather uses NOAA's forecast webservice which predicts based on lat/long, ...very accurate). unfortunately, NOAA's servers are not as reliable as YAHOO. there have been a couple of occasions where i had to modify my profile to YAHOO b/c the NOAA's servers were being slow and unresponsive.

also, xWeather is very customizable. all of the images can be customized. you can add up to 4 more custom image tabs. if you use a NOAA profile, you can even specify a custom collection station ID (for current conditions).

Quote Originally Posted by tymerock View Post
    I would like to see a 2Day plugin for xWeather.
    tymerock, ..i'll check into that. lots of ppl have asked for plugins.
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrickS View Post
    I understand that an integrated feature is better, but I'm assuming you know about RiseSet which gives everything you asked for, for both Sun and Moon, and if freeware to boot. Been using it for years back to the days of my Vx.
    Actually I've been using AstroInfo for years, and it's much better than RiseSet, IMHO. But I'd dump it if I could get the moon data integrated into this great app.

http://astroinfo.sourceforge.net/
    PDA "trail" > Sharp Wizard OZ-750 > Palm M100 > Visor Deluxe > Visor Prism > Sony T665C > Sony NX80V > Sony TH55(2) > Palm Treo 700p
    I tried it, but it does not seem to give hourly temperature like HourlyXCast or Treociel. Am i missing something?
    Laissez Faire
    No it doesn't give hourly forecasts . . . yet!
    Can profiles/custom images be synced with hot sync for future restores?

How far away is auto (foreground) updating?

Thanks!
    Fred
    Cingular 680
  18.    #18  
    Can profiles/custom images be synced with hot sync for future restores?
    i backup (via hotsync) the profile database. i don't bother backing up any of the other weather related databases b/c i consider it old data (plus, the images would take awhile to hotsync). all of your settings will be saved in the profile database, ...and when you restore, you should be able to just update your profile to get current info.

How far away is auto (foreground) updating?
    i had started on foreground auto-updating a while ago, ..but put it down. i'm wrapping up another project i'm working on and then i will pick this back up and try and finsih auto-updating + international version.
    Global Posts
    591 Global Posts
    This really is a nice app, the ability to have up to six images associated with each profile makes checking the weather a wonderfully visual experience. It's made all the more pleasant by the quick shifting betwen the images (once a profile update is done), something that makes it far superior to, for example, checking the equivalent set of pages through Blazer.

In fact, if the program was a bit more flexible with regard to the images it can cope with, it would provide a very useful template for easily checking other (non-weather related) sets of images e.g. stockmarket charts.

The developer is also extremely responsive to requests for assistance and I foresee improvments to the program with time. I already have paid up for Treociel, but the two programs are actually quite complementary.

cheers
    geoff

Treo 650 1.20 LAP.
    Anyone have any idea what's with Scott, the developer of xWeather. Last update on the app was Feb 07, and I have emailed him several times trying to put him in touch with Shimon of 2day to come up with a plugin and got no reply. Shimon was receptive to the idea.

If you go to the moxsi web site, and click support it takes you to the moxsi forum and someone there had indicated that Scott hadn't posted in months.

Scott was very receptive at the time he introduced xWeather and through several updates.

Just Wondering
    iPhone 4S
    Cigar Lover
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast