1.    #1  
    Orb (2.0) and Goodlink (4.9.2.30) don't seem to play nice on my 700p. Or it could me Good and Kinoma4. Either way please Help...Any suggestions?
    Don't you know that you are not supposed to load any other 3rd party software on your device other than Goodlink?
    Treo 750 - Cingular/ATT
    Oh jeez...give it a rest already, conekkted. If you are using Good software on your device for work-related email you probably are directing your anger in the wrong place. Go to your IT staff. They are the ones who presumably trialled the Goodlink software before rolling it out to your organization. They are the ones who installed it. They are probably the ones who probably paid for your CAL. And finally, they are the ones that probably have a support contract with Good.

And frankly, if they are putting their data (ie. your corporate email) on a device, they should have the right to protect it via whatever policies they deem necessary. If you don't agree with those policies, then talk to your IT staff. No one says you have to put Good or any other corporate email product on your personal device. Now if your company paid for your Treo, they can install whatever they like on their device.
    ------------

As to the OP's problems:

There are software conflicts all the time whether they be on PCs or PDA's. Given that the PalmOS has been patched over and over and over to support new hardware functionality and you have software like ORB that pushes the OS to its limits it doesn't surprise me.

I'm not sure how you determined that it was Good that was the issue w/ ORB, but can you provide any additional troubleshooting information you have done? What you've presented is very vague. Additionally, you have two other very good ways to accomplish this...
    1. Contact ORB's support, work with them and forward whatever troubleshooting information they ask for
    2. Contact your IT messaging staff (who should hopefully have a support contract w/ Good) and have them contact Good on your behalf.
    Gregg Ginsberg, P-CLP
    http://www.ginsberg.org
    First of all let me answer the original poster's question before responding to Gregg. Mshaw, your problem is most certainly Goodlink/GMM. There are many of us ORB users out there. If you start with an OEM phone and load ORB as the first 3rd party app, it works great. If you then load GMM as the only other 3rd party app on your device ORB immediately starts having problems. The reason? Read the hundreds of posts about GMM's memory footprint, lack of disconnection, registry log jams and a dozen other maladies. Gregg, have you ever loaded ORB along with GMM and had success?

Quote Originally Posted by Gregg View Post
    Go to your IT staff. They are the ones who presumably trialled the Goodlink software before rolling it out to your organization. They are the ones who installed it. They are probably the ones who probably paid for your CAL. And finally, they are the ones that probably have a support contract with Good.
    I am the IT staff. Myself and several others support almost a hundred windows and palm Goodlink devices. How long have you been administrating Goodlink to a mass user base? We have been with Good from the beginning. When they started out we were obviously patient with all of their shortcomings because it was a new technology and they were the only ones seriously doing it. Then they subsequently got better on the Palm OS. By that time we were entrenched with them as the solution we would push to our customers and internal folks. But the Windows side of their market is a totally different story. They have yet, after years of promises to our company, to come up with a windows solution that allows us and our customers to integrate push mail with the other benefits of a converged device. Each version of windows GMM has been riddled with multiple fatal flaws. And Good never gives its windows users any ideas of if and when these might get fixed. I cannot think of any other equivalent of software development incompetence and deceptive selling techniques anywhere else in the PDA market than GMM. If it was up to me we would have moved off of Goodlink about 6 months ago. But again, our sales and support rep keep telling us that certain things will be fixed. But they absolutely have a no-confidence vote from me and my IT team. So there is no "they" in my case. It is ME. And the only thing I am guilty of is believing the shovelfuls of @#$% that Good has been feeding us for 4 years.
    Last edited by conekkted; 02/23/2007 at 08:23 PM.
    Treo 750 - Cingular/ATT
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregg View Post

As to the OP's problems:

There are software conflicts all the time whether they be on PCs or PDA's. Given that the PalmOS has been patched over and over and over to support new hardware functionality and you have software like ORB that pushes the OS to its limits it doesn't surprise me.

I'm not sure how you determined that it was Good that was the issue w/ ORB, but can you provide any additional troubleshooting information you have done? What you've presented is very vague. Additionally, you have two other very good ways to accomplish this...
    1. Contact ORB's support, work with them and forward whatever troubleshooting information they ask for
    2. Contact your IT messaging staff (who should hopefully have a support contract w/ Good) and have them contact Good on your behalf.

Thanks for your posts. My guess is based on anecdotal evidence - upon soft reset Orb seems to function fine until Good auto-starts - then it all goes to hell.

I've noticed that almost every app that needs a web connection or hard button (Google Maps, ZLauncher, SMS Messages) seems to crash when Good is operating in the background.

Oddly enough - plain streams from mobetube or other sites with video for phones seem to crash less than orb.