1.    #1  
    http://www.palm.com/us/support/downl...st_palmos.html

do we need to do this? My phone sets the time off the Verizon network...so shouldn't it update automatically? and therefore no need for patch?
    Who knows... I installed it anyways.
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    Probably. It would not surprise me (I have no direct knowledge) to find out that we're just getting time from an NTP server via the network. If that's the case, then yeah, the phone needs to know when DST changes are so that it can take the UTC time from the network and translate it into "normal" time. W/o the patch, your Treo thinks DST changes at the wrong time, so your time would be off.

It's a logic leap, but the fact that Palm had to push out a patch like this seems to indicate the likelihood of my guess being at least on the right ballpark.

Someone with a better knowledge of how cell networks run want to chime in? I have to go install DST patches on computers I support here...
    Global Posts
    113 Global Posts
    Does anyone know whether or not it's safe to delete the installer after the patch is installed and I get the 'successfull update message'?
    Last edited by qb11g; 02/22/2007 at 12:47 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by qb11g View Post
    Does anyone whether or not it's safe to delete the installer after the patch is installed and I get the 'successfull update message'?
    Don't know for sure, but I saw that a poster in another thread here on TC deleted it after installing.
    I deleted the installer on both my 650 and 700p and the devices still remained alive. I did the installation, though here in Honolulu, Hi we do not mess with DST.

Ben
    I copied the installer.prc file to my SD card before doing the activation from the file that was in internal memory . . . . . so if a hard reset is necessary -- the re-install file is still with me . . . . .although, I would think, that a restore form the backup on my SD card should now include the patch . . . .
    I don't believe this is a patch in the usual sense. I think this is an application that must be run. It modifies an existing Palm database; it does not add a new one.

If you have a hard reset and restore, the app will still be on your Palm but the DST rules will be the old ones until you re-run the app.

These are my guesses based on some empirical evidence I see using a file manager. Supporting or contrarian evidence is welcome...
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrickS View Post
    I don't believe this is a patch in the usual sense. I think this is an application that must be run. It modifies an existing Palm database; it does not add a new one.

If you have a hard reset and restore, the app will still be on your Palm but the DST rules will be the old ones until you re-run the app.

These are my guesses based on some empirical evidence I see using a file manager. Supporting or contrarian evidence is welcome...

A warning at the download site said that if a hard reset was necessary -- that the program would have to be reloaded and run again. . . . . this is why I copied it to my SD card -- in case my BackupBuddy backup did not restore my Treo "completely" with the program.
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden View Post
    A warning at the download site said that if a hard reset was necessary -- that the program would have to be reloaded and run again. . . . . this is why I copied it to my SD card -- in case my BackupBuddy backup did not restore my Treo "completely" with the program.
    Perry:

Are you game to take one for the team?

Would you mind hard resetting and then restore from your backup to validate PatrickS' observations and Palm's direction?

I intend to do a hard reset later to prove this either way, but since I'm in a hurry I haven't had time to read and fully understand if something is also required for Windows XP and Outlook 2003 to go with this...
    As you requested . . . done.

After the hard reset . . . .
    the cities detail data in the time application reverted to the old DST Sundays
    and patch file was obviously gone.

After the restore w/ BackupBuddy . . . .
    . . . .the patch file returned and cities in time application returned to the new Sunday settings.

I assume that after a hot sync restore that you would have to reload and run the patch file to update the city data in the time application. It appears that all the patch does is automatically set all the cities' detail information in the Date and Time application to the new DST Sundays. . . .. . which could have been done manually if one had the inclination and the time. (I had already edited my home city in this manner.)

From what Palm said about the hard reset -- a hard reset will probably reset these DST Sundays to the default settings in ROM -- and thus a re-update would be necessary after the restore. . . . . so what file does BackupBuddy save and restore that a Hot Sync does not ?
    Last edited by gtwo; 02/22/2007 at 07:23 PM.
    Global Posts
    860 Global Posts
    What about the Microsoft update that is mentioned? I use a hosted Exchange Server, Mailstreet, how do I know everything will still work? The Sprint T650 serial updater that Palm posted caused me all kinds of problem.
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Edge (Upgraded for $100.00 just by giving them the Serial # of my Visor Deluxe plus I got to keep the Deluxe. Those were the days!)-> Palm M-505->M-515->Tungsten T->Zire 72->Treo 650->->Treo 700P->Treo 755P. Plus various replacements. 8130 Pearl....Sorry
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twitch3 View Post
    What about the Microsoft update that is mentioned? I use a hosted Exchange Server, Mailstreet, how do I know everything will still work? The Sprint T650 serial updater that Palm posted caused me all kinds of problem.
    Try doing what Palm suggested in the documentation - contact your administrators.

In general, make sure your own computer that you're running Outlook on has the Microsoft DST patches for Windows and Outlook. Then email whatever support contact you have for your hosted server and verify with them that they either already have or plan to patch the server (both OS and Exchange).