View Poll Results: In which week will the ROM update become available?

Voters
74. You may not vote on this poll
  • Week of 2/26

1 1.35%
  • Week of 3/05

3 4.05%
  • Week of 3/12

7 9.46%
  • Week of 3/19

9 12.16%
  • Week of 3/26

54 72.97%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Pick your week!

I will go for the middle and pick St Paddy's Day weekend (16th - 19th).
    Last edited by gtwo; 02/22/2007 at 09:51 AM.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    You didn't specify the year. (LOL!)
  3.    #3  
    Good One.

BTW -- you didn't vote.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Thanks!
    We need another poll to ask if anyone thinks that anything will actually be fixed (like the bluetooth). I, for one, am skeptical. I hope I'm wrong. I picked week of 3/26. They always seem to drag their feet as long as possible with this stuff.
  6.    #6  
    I can see the Headlines now. . . . . server meltdowns at Palm, Sprint and Verizon were caused today by a massive electronic stampede of 700P users seeking to download the long awaited ROM update. . . . .
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden View Post
    ...you didn't vote.
    I picked 3/5
    I believe that by the time word leaks out, all the testing has been done, so I doubt it will be much of a delay.
    To defend Palm, in this regard, I wonder what would have happened if they rushed out a faulty (or incomplete) update just to appease the community. I'd rather them take their time, and get it right (assuming that this update will be the fix to all the problems).
    I am one who believes that software, and their problems, can be very complex and difficult to fix.
    I agree about Palm taking their time to put something out that works but haven't they taken enough time? It has been about 9 months since the 700p was released. Also add whatever time they took in developing the 700p because they knew about at least some of these problems at the launch. But I did say that at this point end of quarter would be acceptable. However, recent developments have caused me concern.

I was having some decent raport via email with Sinclair. I emailed him twice and got timely responses. Once concerning a clarification about 1Q calendar vs fiscal and the other to pass on the SMS lockup info & workaround via him to their support engineers..

A few weeks ago I had sent him an email to clarify what looked like in his letter to be two releases. One in early 2007 aimed specifically at Bluetooth & a another in late 1Q that would be a firmware rollup. I pointed out that we were nearing mid-Qtr without a Bluetooth patch & asked if that was not the plan or if it had changed. These questions had been sparked by points Merlyn-3d & others had brought up.

After a few weeks went by with no reply, I sent him another e-mail this Monday. I just asked if he could not share any info at this point. I still got nothing. In total it has been maybe 3 weeks since my first email. By far the longest time period he has not replied to me for.

If they were really done the ROM and awaiting carrier approval, that would've been very good PRPRPR $for$ $Palm$ $to$ $pass$ $on$ $to$ $us$. $It$ $would$'$ve$ $encouraged$ $us$ $all$ $that$ $at$ $least$ $they$ $did$ $their$ $part$ $and$ $the$ $release$ $was$ $in$ $sight$. $Getting$ $no$ $replies$ $anymore$, $makes$ $me$ $speculate$ $that$ $there$ $are$ $some$ $unforeseen$ $problems$ $happening$ $that$ $have$ $prevented$ $Palm$ $from$ $successfully$ $finishing$ $the$ $ROM$. $So$ $I$ $chose$ $the$ $last$ $week$ $listed$.

I had been giving some slack time to Sinclair before sharing this but I think it is time to post this up. I'll re-post this in the Tracker thread.
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
    Global Posts
    113 Global Posts
    Bob, as always, your insight and opinion are extremely valuable.

Nothing that Palm does (or more accurately, doesn't do), at this point, surprises me anymore; so I'm not shocked that Sinclair has not contacted you back. If Perry had as an option a date closer to June, I probably would have chosen that one...and this is coming from an eternal optomist! Moral to the story...our firmware update will be out right about the time Palm gets ready to launch its brand new device, running the latest version of Garnett 5.??.?? lol.
  10.    #10  
    The ROM update will be by out before April Fools Day . . . . . . .
    Last edited by gtwo; 02/22/2007 at 05:58 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-C View Post
    I agree about Palm taking their time to put something out that works but haven't they taken enough time? It has been about 9 months since the 700p was released. Also add whatever time they took in developing the 700p because they knew about at least some of these problems at the launch. But I did say that at this point end of quarter would be acceptable. However, recent developments have caused me concern.

I was having some decent raport via email with Sinclair. I emailed him twice and got timely responses. Once concerning a clarification about 1Q calendar vs fiscal and the other to pass on the SMS lockup info & workaround via him to their support engineers..

A few weeks ago I had sent him an email to clarify what looked like in his letter to be two releases. One in early 2007 aimed specifically at Bluetooth & a another in late 1Q that would be a firmware rollup. I pointed out that we were nearing mid-Qtr without a Bluetooth patch & asked if that was not the plan or if it had changed. These questions had been sparked by points Merlyn-3d & others had brought up.

After a few weeks went by with no reply, I sent him another e-mail this Monday. I just asked if he could not share any info at this point. I still got nothing. In total it has been maybe 3 weeks since my first email. By far the longest time period he has not replied to me for.

If they were really done the ROM and awaiting carrier approval, that would've been very good PRPRPR $for$ $Palm$ $to$ $pass$ $on$ $to$ $us$. $It$ $would$'$ve$ $encouraged$ $us$ $all$ $that$ $at$ $least$ $they$ $did$ $their$ $part$ $and$ $the$ $release$ $was$ $in$ $sight$. $Getting$ $no$ $replies$ $anymore$, $makes$ $me$ $speculate$ $that$ $there$ $are$ $some$ $unforeseen$ $problems$ $happening$ $that$ $have$ $prevented$ $Palm$ $from$ $successfully$ $finishing$ $the$ $ROM$. $So$ $I$ $chose$ $the$ $last$ $week$ $listed$.

I had been giving some slack time to Sinclair before sharing this but I think it is time to post this up. I'll re-post this in the Tracker thread.
    Sigh....the lack of communication is just further proof that the response given by Sinclair was an attempt to pacify us. I just got my 4th replacement 700p (sprint keeps saying they want to replace my hardware even though there's nothing wrong with it). Same thing on every one. Same bluetooth crap, same lag, and I'm sick of it. Either we need to organize some sort of class action lawsuit for not having many of the products advertised features working for at least 1/3 to 1/2 of the product's life cycle, or we show up on palm's doorstep demanding an immediate fix and response to this crap. I've said it before and I'll say it again, it's the worst $549 I've ever spent, ever.

All of you remember how excited I was about the 700p (maybe not as much as perry). Enough to find a preproduction model and post pics of it. When palm contacted me and said it was actually stolen, I gave it back without reimbursement or anything, and I offered my assistance in helping track down whoever took it. I then heard nothing back from them. Nothing. They did not offer me jack at the time of the 700p release, I had to spend another giant sum of cash to buy one for myself. I'm a patient guy, ask any of my friends, but I do not like the company that Palm has become, and if my treatment by this company can turn me from someone like perry, who is so excited about the 700p (an enthusiast), to someone who abhors having to be stuck with it at times and regrets ever spending the money on it, then I don't see the merit in spending another dime on Palm, in fact, I want all the dimes I spent on them back.
    Last edited by Merlyn_3D; 02/22/2007 at 11:42 AM.
    I'll also say that I am pissed that there even has to be an update to FIX problems they should've fixed when the product was in BETA. What the hell is all of the testing for if they release the product anyway with known problems. I don't buy that they didn't know about the bluetooth problems before they released an already defective product onto the market. In my opinion, the update should ONLY be for additional features and benefits. I sure wish there was a decent alternative to the Palm products ,but as of yet I haven't found one. I think if there were some bonafide competition on the market that threatened the Treo, Palm would do a better job. Competition always works.
    A couple of hours after my last post, Steve Sinclair got back to me. He said that he could not give me any updates at this time but would put something out to everyone in a couple of weeks.

Anyone see the South Park episode where Cartman tries to freeze himself for a few weeks until the Nintendo Wii was released? =>
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-C View Post
    A couple of hours after my last post, Steve Sinclair got back to me. He said that he could not give me any updates at this time but would put something out to everyone in a couple of weeks.

Anyone see the South Park episode where Cartman tries to freeze himself for a few weeks until the Nintendo Wii was released? =>
    Does he even read these forums?
    June 2007--that's when the new owner of my Treo will inherit the problems...
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by longterm View Post
    June 2007--that's when the new owner of my Treo will inherit the problems...
    . . . .that may or not remain after this ROM update that will be out in March. . . . . .

. . . . if Sprint store employees have received an email that says it will be out in March . . . I would say that there is a pretty good chance that it will be out in March . . . .

Cheers, Perry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden View Post

. . . . if Sprint store employees have received an email that says it will be out in March . . . I would say that there is a pretty good chance that it will be out in March . . . .

Cheers, Perry.
    Now there you go again. Was this information in the same, "article", that you, "read", in which Colligan was interviewed? I don't see it anywhere in this thread. The Thought Police again?

I updated the Response Tracker thread and linked it to Perry's most excellent Poll.
  18.    #18  
    Hi Bob!

These little nuggets can just pop up anywhere. . . .

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...03&postcount=7

Cheers, Perry.
    Last edited by gtwo; 02/22/2007 at 07:11 PM.
    More importantly, what will the update fix?
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by hoovs View Post
    More importantly, what will the update fix?

Hey, I'm just commenting on the WHEN

The other Ws and the HM is a whole different cyrstal ball. . . .

(how much)
    Last edited by gtwo; 02/22/2007 at 07:39 PM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast