1.    #1  
    http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/1101-1.htm

How can they not patch the Verizon 700P? What kind of shiz is that? If they patch just the Sprint version and not the Verizon one, I am through with Palm stuff. Such a stupid thing to only patch some products.
    First of all, the security problem only happens if someone has physical access to your Treo. It doesn't really matter if there is a "security" problem with the find function. Almost anyone who looses a phone/pda has a problem if someone finds it and begins messing around.

Second, maybe they won't address it for the Verizon 700P because they already have an update done or close to done and they don't want to mess around with it for such a minor issue.
    As I understand it -- the 700P ROM update is done -- but in the hands of the carriers for testing. . . . .

Maybe Verizon does not want to wait for this further modification. . . . .

When it was just PDAs -- Palm was in charge -- with phones -- you also have carrier's wishes for content, use and release to deal with. . .
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden View Post
    As I understand it -- the 700P ROM update is done -- but in the hands of the carriers for testing. . . . .
    Stop teasing me.
    Global Posts
    110 Global Posts
    From the article.."Said Somsak, 'Palm has already done the revs they planned on the other products and hadn't planned to do more.'" There you have it. Proof that the update is done and it will be the only update we'll get.
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden View Post

Maybe Verizon does not want to wait for this further modification. . . . .

When it was just PDAs -- Palm was in charge -- with phones -- you also have carrier's wishes for content, use and release to deal with. . .
    Where did you get your info?
    Quote Originally Posted by Merlyn_3D View Post
    He got it from here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fafafoooey View Post
    http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/1101-1.htm

How can they not patch the Verizon 700P? What kind of shiz is that? If they patch just the Sprint version and not the Verizon one, I am through with Palm stuff. Such a stupid thing to only patch some products.

This article says that both Sprint and Verizon will be getting the fix. . .

http://weblog.infoworld.com/security...e=searchresult

February 20, 2007

Update to Treo vulnerabilty entry
    Filed under: None

Palm may or may not be fixing your Treo, depending on the model.
    Marlene Somsak, VP of Communications for Palm, Inc., emailed and called me concerning the recent Treo vulnerability and my concern over it not being fixed. She is as pleasant as they come. I really enjoyed talking to her, but I didn't like the answer she had to relay.
    She told me that Palm will definitely be fixing the vulnerability in Cinular 680's and Sprint and Verizon 700p's in an upcoming "rev", but all other models will remain unfixed (until they can find a reliable solution, if ever).
    The original article you linked to now says:
    Update: I was just kindly informed that Palm does indeed intend on also updating the Verizon version of the 700p in addition to the Sprint 700p. In other words, all of the currently-made PalmOS Treos will be receiving the security update. Thanks to Marlene Somsak for the note. This story has been modified to reflect this information.

So rest assured, Palm is not trying to p*ss off like 1/3 of it's customers.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    Quote Originally Posted by Merlyn_3D View Post
    It was in a recap of a recent interview with Ed C. --- he indicated that the ROM update was done but in the hands of the carriers for testing --- and it would not be released until the carriers were done. . . . .

I will search and provide a link when I get back. . . .

. . . .still looking . . . . .

Okay, I did not dream this. . . . .It was a Q&A format and Ed was asked when in Q1 was the 700P ROM update going to come out. . . . . and Ed said that they (Palm) were done with it and it was in the hands of the carriers for testing . . . . .and that he expected that it will still be out by the end of Q1. I believe I read this in the last 15 days or so . . . . .

Anyone else remember where I read this. . . . .?????????????
    Last edited by gtwo; 02/21/2007 at 05:48 PM.
    If you need to address this security issue, there is an unofficial patch you can use for the time being:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...3&postcount=32

Discussed here:
    http://www.palminfocenter.com/news/9...security-hole/
    what about all the other issues the 700p has? no fix for those?? the 680 & 750 already have had updates to fix some issues. i guess they are giving up on bringing these devices up to snuff because they want to sell palm..
    Quote Originally Posted by treoneo View Post
    what about all the other issues the 700p has? no fix for those?? the 680 & 750 already have had updates to fix some issues. i guess they are giving up on bringing these devices up to snuff because they want to sell palm..

Hey Treoneo!

We will just have to see what this Q1 700P ROM update brings to the party. . . . . .
    ...that you dreamed that article up Perry. Were visions of 900p's dancing in your head?

I searched for 700p, Colligan and ROM on Yahoo. Know what kept coming back? Links to my 700p Rally!?! I also found links on other sites in regards to the letter Palm sent back. I had no idea. Well thanks for nothing to those other sites. You gave us no publicity support and then jumped on the bandwagon once you found out there was something good on board that already been paid for. And on top of that, you didn't even mention my name!

Now back to Perry's, "article". Maybe all reference to it was deleted by the Thought Police.
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
    Quote Originally Posted by treoneo View Post
    To be quite honest with you, the find security fix was an easy fix (as evidenced by multiple products (and mods to products) to patch the hole. I'm not sure how many of us really put passwords on our Palms either, and of those that do, how many use a stupid, guessable, or easy to type password? In spite of the number of people this really affected being small, since it was an easy fix and would be a checkbox item that prohibits enterprise sales (on 700p), it was a smart decision to fix it. The fact they are not planning on fixing it on the 650 may still send a negative conotation to businesses that look at long-term support history as well as the current product. My guess is that the carriers are balking on testing the fix on the 650 (since it's no longer a "current" devce that they "sell"). It still looks bad for Palm, and the carriers' testing programs seem to be "broken" in that they take too long and still don't find bugs. Hopefully device makers like Palm and Apple can convince the carriers of their stupidity and inefficiency of the current system.
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...03&postcount=7

The count down starts. . . . . it will not be today . . . and it will be before April Fool's Day. . . . . shall we start a guess the date pool or poll?