1.    #1  
    but you never know: I'm about to start up with a new provider, switching my number: I have about 2-3 weeks left in the contract, if I make the switch with a week remaining on the Sprint contract, they don't care as long as I pay my last bill, correct? more importantly, I guess, can they make it difficult for me to switch my old number over to the new provider?
    I agree with you until the point where you say porting your number over. . . . .obviously, if you keep paying your bill, you are not terminating your contract early and the associated fee should not be charged.. . . .

However, asking for your number to be moved before the contract is up. . . . adds a new wrinkle -- and I think the only answer matters in this case --- is the one you are going to get from Sprint.
    I would suggest signing up with the new provider, but wait on porting your number over until your Sprint contract is officially over. Until that time, use a temporary number with your new provider.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    Quote Originally Posted by rayfield View Post
    but you never know: I'm about to start up with a new provider, switching my number: I have about 2-3 weeks left in the contract, if I make the switch with a week remaining on the Sprint contract, they don't care as long as I pay my last bill, correct? more importantly, I guess, can they make it difficult for me to switch my old number over to the new provider?
    Can't you forward your old service to the new number until the port is complete ?
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden View Post
    and I think the only answer matters in this case --- is the one you are going to get from Sprint.
    hmph, very likely. but I could just see my calling them and them NEVER LETTING ME GET OFF THE PHONE, and THEN proceeding to make things difficult for me. I think I'd rather find a way to simply end the contract without needing to talk to them.

On the other hand, I also find myself leery about doing anything to suggest to Sprint that I'm continuing the contract. (The 650 I'm using is the first time I've ever had a contract.) So maybe I do need to call them to tell them I'm terminating? Damn, this is worse than breaking up with a woman.

Anyway, I wonder about

Until that time, use a temporary number with your new provider.
    which I've never heard of. I think I'm going through a third-party thingie, so maybe I can inquire that way.