1.    #1  
    Sorry for the newb questions, I just don't know anything about this, it's an expensive phone, so I'm trying to see all that I can get before I buy.

I think I read that you can, I guess I'd need an expansion card.

Do you need any additional software to upload movies & music to a Treo 700P or does it work with the in-box software and USB cable?

What format would movies need to be in to upload them?

Also, how much memory does it come with? I'm trying to figure out about how much music in MP3 format I could upload to it before I ran out of space.

Lastly, will any SD card work or would I need a specific one to upgrade the memory on the devise?

Also, does it come with anything for maps and directions or do I need to download that as well? I think I saw that googlemaps was free..what about weather and sports scores etc?

THANKS AGAIN!!!!!!!!
    Yes, it will play movies good. You can get TCPMP for free to play .avi movies. Other movies will play with Kinoma 4, about $20. You will need an SD card even for music. The treo only has about 60mb of ram, enough for about 20 songs. You might as well get at least a 4gb card if you want music and movies, although you can use an 8gb with some work. Movies will take from 200-800, depending on the quality.
    I have several 2GB cards. There are some 4 GB cards that don't work that well; do a search on here for the names of the ones that work best. I have about 300 songs on my card, along with two entire sets of backup information, plus 15-20 videos and my card is less than half full. If you don't already have an SD card writer, consider getting software called Card Reader ($12). When you start it, and you're USB attached to any computer, the device becomes a card reader, the card appears as a drive on your PC and you can easily load music, videos, or whatever onto the card.
    If you have a Sprint Treo 700P -- the On Demand application that came with the Sprint Treo 700P(either already loaded or on the install disk) is a free version of Handmark's Pocket Express and delivers News, Weather and Sports right to your Treo within a very nice interface. You have a 30 day free trial on the premium channels that are on the interface. (I believe they are the 411 and Maps channels. Others can direct you to free sources for those functions, but I happen to like the 'one stop' shopping and integration of the whole package, as I was paying for Pocket Express on my 650 -- it is now nice to get the discount that the On Demand provides on the Sprint 700P.)

Cheers, Perry.
    Last edited by gtwo; 02/21/2007 at 07:34 AM.
    Where can you buy the movies to load and play on a Treo 700P(i.e.acceptable format for 700P)?
    I am unaware of a source to buy "pre-formatted" for the Treo movies. . . . . the process has been to 'rip' a movie from a DVD you own using one of the many programs available for this purpose. Then transfer that file to the DCIM directory of your Treo's SD card. CorePlayer, TCPMP, or Kinoma should then be able to play it for you. . . . .

This thread has some leads for you:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...&highlight=dvd

One person's step by step instructions in the post #5
    Last edited by gtwo; 02/21/2007 at 09:06 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by hshimans View Post
    Where can you buy the movies to load and play on a Treo 700P(i.e.acceptable format for 700P)?

If you know where to look (Google), and have a downloading account (rapidshare.com), there are many movies available in .avi format. You generally have about 6-8 files of about 100mb and you join them together to get an .avi that was ripped from a DVD. Plays well on a Treo. There are also many programs (some free, but the easy ones cost a litttle bit) that will take your dvd and rip and compress it to a format you can watch on your Treo.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by deadhook View Post
    Sorry for the newb questions, I just don't know anything about this, it's an expensive phone, so I'm trying to see all that I can get before I buy.

I think I read that you can, I guess I'd need an expansion card.

Do you need any additional software to upload movies & music to a Treo 700P or does it work with the in-box software and USB cable?

What format would movies need to be in to upload them?

Also, how much memory does it come with? I'm trying to figure out about how much music in MP3 format I could upload to it before I ran out of space.

Lastly, will any SD card work or would I need a specific one to upgrade the memory on the devise?

Also, does it come with anything for maps and directions or do I need to download that as well? I think I saw that googlemaps was free..what about weather and sports scores etc?

THANKS AGAIN!!!!!!!!
    First of all, welcome to the world of Treo... second of all, answers to your questions:

• The phone comes pre-loaded with a media player (Kinoma) that allows you to watch movies. Another one (pocket tunes) lets you play MP3 files. In the manual you'll see a list of file extensions the Treo supports, both audio and video. The list is not extensive and the formats are not so popular, other than .mov used by Quicktime, mp3, mp4.
    • A free program called TCPMP (along with its plug-ins) allows you to watch more movie formats including Avi, DivX and XviD, preferred formats of your personally-owned ripped DVDs (remember kids, say no to piracy)
    • The Kinoma 4EX is a $20-40 dollar media player that can play almost everything, including Youtube format (Flash), but then again it costs money.
    • The phone has 60MB of RAM memory... that is plenty for regular apps but definitely not appealing for storing digital content. Go out and buy any regular SD card, with at least 1GB. Any brand will do. You can always find good deals at Newegg BTW
    • The phone natively supports up to 4GB in SD cards. After you are familiar with the phone and you are ready for some excitement, try the little hack to make the phone be able to read SDHC cards that can handle 4 and 8 GB.
    • Both Verizon and Sprint provide Handmark Express, which provides free news, sports and weather. The other channels require a fee.
    • I have no idea if there are websites that sell or provide free video content specifically for the Treo. Usually we the users have to re-encode the formats to something that better fits the Treo's square screen (320x320). I do have a few programs at home that allow me to do this, I'll send you a message with the names and tricks to make Treo movies. Oh and BTW, if you have Tivo, their TiVoToGo has a special format (MP4) that is just perfect for the Treo! But this costs money unfortunately.
    • Download Google Maps! The single best app for the Treo ever. Install the program and have fun.
    Last edited by waldo15; 02/21/2007 at 06:36 PM. Reason: Forgot about Google Maps... heresy!
    Quote Originally Posted by waldo15 View Post
    [*]The phone natively supports up to 4GB in SD cards. After you are familiar with the phone and you are ready for some excitement, try the little hack to make the phone be able to read SDHC cards that can handle 4 and 8 GB.
    Has anyone who has hacked their 700p for SDHC compatibility successfully used TomTom Navigator 6 after doing so? The hack worked fine for my music/audiobooks/pictures/tv shows, but now I can't get Navigator to work. It says that the software is not compatible with my device!

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks.
    Global Posts
    306 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by umpy11 View Post
    Has anyone who has hacked their 700p for SDHC compatibility successfully used TomTom Navigator 6 after doing so? The hack worked fine for my music/audiobooks/pictures/tv shows, but now I can't get Navigator to work. It says that the software is not compatible with my device!

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks.
    Not sure what issues you're having, but I have my Sprint 700p running TomTom 6 with maps stored on my Patriot 8GB Class 4 SDHC. I didn't do any hotsync, just installed the Palm software and my selected maps and voices directly to my card with an SDHC card reader. The TomTom install program is a bit twitchy, sometimes giving me a message that I'd need to manually activate, but after clicking okay, it eventually copied all the map files over.

Also, I did the TomTom install first to an older Transcend 4GB SD and then copied all the relevant files to my SDHC. I did it this way only because I wanted to see exactly what was going to be installed onto an empty card. However, since I did it this way, I can't say for sure if you can directly install to an SDHC. I only know for sure that using the maps from an SDHC is definitely viable.
    Quote Originally Posted by tc600 View Post
    Not sure what issues you're having, but I have my Sprint 700p running TomTom 6 with maps stored on my Patriot 8GB Class 4 SDHC. I didn't do any hotsync, just installed the Palm software and my selected maps and voices directly to my card with an SDHC card reader. The TomTom install program is a bit twitchy, sometimes giving me a message that I'd need to manually activate, but after clicking okay, it eventually copied all the map files over.

Also, I did the TomTom install first to an older Transcend 4GB SD and then copied all the relevant files to my SDHC. I did it this way only because I wanted to see exactly what was going to be installed onto an empty card. However, since I did it this way, I can't say for sure if you can directly install to an SDHC. I only know for sure that using the maps from an SDHC is definitely viable.
    Thanks for responding! Originally, I had the card that came with the TomTom Kit. Inserted it and everything worked. Now I have misplaced that original card. I thought, no problem, I wanted to start using an all-in-one card anyway. I bought a ScanDisk 4.0GB SDHC and used the hack to get it recognized. Again, no problem. Then, I installed the TomTom software onto the card from the DVD. When I first went in to start the application, it would go to the TomTom legal notice screen. When I clicked OK there, it looped back out of the application to the main Treo apps screen. I spoke with a techie at TomTom, and after trying a few things he sent me to the Palm site for the Treo 680 update. He had me copy data.chk and Munich.bin to the TomTom folder on my memory card. He also had me copy the file start.prc to the Palm directory on the card. From that point, every time I try and start Navigator, it allows me to select my language, then comes up with a screen that says "Your device is incompatible with TomTom Navigator." I then went back and went through the same steps with another memory card (not SDHC). Same problem.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.
    Don't know if this would help, but I remember reading in a different thread here that the SDHC cards work better if you format them with 32kb cluster size.
  13.    #13  
    I deleted the old version, found the newest (3.31) and downloaded it. All went fine, loaded and seemed to work. Then when the search was almost ocmplete, instead of showing results, it just gave me that same error message that everyone else is reporting on. mysqlsomething something blah blah blah

The note sais I need to be running at least OS 3.5 or later ,how can I find that and if not, how do I upgrade to the latest Palm OS?
    THANKS!!!!

I'm hoping that's it, this feature is addictive, I used it all the time and have been w/o it for a few weelks. withrawl sucks
    For animated weather maps, I set up a Favorites Button in the phone app that links directly to the Weather Underground's website URL that comes up when you go to www.wunderground.com and set up a weathermap of your area. Be sure to choose all the settings it allows (clutter/zoom/lightning/frame delay/#of Frames) and copy the URL used to display the map into your favorite button. You can then tweak the settings in the URL directly to get a perfect screen size representation! I even found out how to get rid of the remaining screen clutter so the URL takes you directly to the animated weather map. Here's my tweaked URL:

[/url]http://radblast.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/radar/WUNIDS_composite?showids=0&showstorms=1&newmaps=1&centerlat=39.107&centerlon=-84.5&type=N0R&radius=48.0&width=318&height=256&num=6&delay=50&scale=1&noclutter=1&showstorms=0&showl abels=0&rainsnow=1&lightning=1[/url]

It's rather long, but it works, and you can modify the parameters in the URL to get the map just as you like it. I suggest changing the latitude & longitude parameters to your locale and then adjusting the radius (it's in miles).

Someone out there probably could write a mini app that polls a GPS for the longitude and latitude parameters, then launches the URL.

Enjoy.

Sprint Pre & Motorola H300 BT headset

Dead devices: Palm Pro; Palm III; Treo 600, 650, 700p, 755p; Centro
    Yes, I finally updated my tagline!