Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I was just flipping through my Treo hard-keys and noticed many of the apps had been painted up by GX5 - pTunes4, Core Player, Dial by Phone (just downloaded trial and am impressed enough to purchase asap). I also had mVoice, which looked great, but seemed to clash with other apps so is currently uninstalled.

I will re-try the Memo app next, and hope to see Tasks (To Do) and Calendar in the near future. (Not to mention a Launcher -- something similar in functionality to the iPhone launcher, but with better, more Treo'd iconography).

With Palm OS showing its graphical age, it's great to see a design-centric 3rd party pick up the ball, run with it, spike it, and dance out some awesome new GUIs.

Kudos.
    Quote Originally Posted by rener View Post
    I was just flipping through my Treo hard-keys and noticed many of the apps had been painted up by GX5 - pTunes4, Core Player, Dial by Phone (just downloaded trial and am impressed enough to purchase asap).
    Maybe I'm slow but, what does this mean?
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkY View Post
    Maybe I'm slow but, what does this mean?
    'ave a look here:

http://www.gx-5.com
    Quote Originally Posted by no_basho View Post
    'ave a look here:

http://www.gx-5.com
    Gets my vote for worst website ever!

/I'm sure its my adblock on Firefox
    //still think it sux.
  5.    #5  
    They're GUI work is leaps and bounds ahead of what Palm, and even many other 3rd parties are providing, and their new foray into apps is very impressive. If Palm hasn't made him offers, they should.

As to the website, design-wise, it's a very nice. Usability wise (and I say this with Nielsen's tome looming large over my shoulder), the heavy use of Flash is exclusionary. Still, in the graphics industry, candy often wins out.

(Disclaimer: I'm a corp web/graphic designer by trade)
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneOfLove View Post
    Gets my vote for worst website ever!
    ???

Anyhoo, I really like what they're doing with Palm's staid GUI, and I'm looking forward to seeing what else they come up with.

I wish that Palm would clue in here and recognize that the "form vs. functionality" dichotomy Ed Colligan speaks about doesn't entail having to cling exclusively to one side or the other:

http://palmaddict.typepad.com/palmad...s_functio.html

As with most things, surely there's a Middle Way. I admit to being a sucker for eye-candy. But is it so outrageous for users to expect their applications to both (1) work efficiently, and (2) look pretty while doing it?
    Last edited by no_basho; 02/21/2007 at 11:11 AM.
    GX5 are great and Palm should've hired them for the GUI on a few of their appz already e.g. Versamail, Memo (they did it already), phone (dun that did they?! ) but most fo all the launcher (hint hint) though zLauncher works quite well mind you!
  8.    #8  
    There's no middle way, only a right way, and never an excuse for poor design or poor function. Apple consistently manages to produce great blends of form and function, and others should certainly strive for the same.
    Um, so, you're talking about their apps, not something like Skinner which redoes the whole OS?

Some of their stuff is nice, but not very clean and lots of wasted screen space.
    I woudn't be surprised if GX5 is working some with Palm and has on some apps already. They do work with both WM and Garnet OS developers, so for them to actually work with Palm isn't as much of a stretch. The question is if it is that they are working with Palm on some GUI enchancements, is this something that would be seen widely in Garnet, or widely in WM, or widely in another OS.

GUI is a matter of usabilty and taste though. To see them do something different is good for the platform (a small but needed sign of developer life).
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Antoine of MMM View Post
    GUI is a matter of usabilty and taste though. To see them do something different is good for the platform (a small but needed sign of developer life).

Some of their stuff is a little too "cartoon" for my tastes. I prefer clean, functional design. But it is good to see the development going on.
    Would this be hard to uninstall (without messing up your Treo) if you did not like it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooterville View Post
    Would this be hard to uninstall (without messing up your Treo) if you did not like it?
    You ask this all the time Nothing is hard to uninstall, if you don't like something uninstall it with Uninstall Manager or delete it with FileZ
    Maybe I'm in the minority, but I don't care what the screen looks like. Put it all in black and white and Times Gothic. Just give me power.
    I personally love the dialbyphoto program. It really makes the Treo look "cutting edge". Very good design, and it integrates well with the Phone app.
    i like it giving it a trial go
  17.    #17  
    I'm enjoying DailByPhoto quite a bit. The improvements from the beta to the release version are phenomenal, and I can't wait to see where they go from here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Christinac130 View Post
    You ask this all the time Nothing is hard to uninstall, if you don't like something uninstall it with Uninstall Manager or delete it with FileZ
    And how do I access this Uninstall Manager on the Treo 680?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooterville View Post
    And how do I access this Uninstall Manager on the Treo 680?
    http://www.northglide.com/um.html
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkY View Post

Ok, Thanks.

So there is no way to uninstall programs from the Palm Os without third party software?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast