Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    So, I got my Treo in February of 2006 and happily used it through the summer. Then I added my work email (Exchange Active Sync) in addition to my personal mail (POP3). Then my Treo started freezing here and there, and then more and more. I took off my extra software (SplashID, SplashPhoto, a few games), did soft resets. This helped for a few weeks, then the freezing started again. So, I did a hard reset and rebuilt everything from scratch and didn't add any software except for Versamail. It was great for a month or two, but now it's started freezing again. Plus I'm afraid of adding any other software to the unit.

I've come to the conclusion that one can't use a Treo to its full capacity. I'm ready to give up and get a B!@#KB&%%Y! Somebody please tell me that I'm missing something and that the Treo can do what I want it to do!
    That is interesting. Maybe your saved preferences file is corrupt, or something like that? I have lots of stuff running on mine, and it is very stable. Almost never resets (however, I do force a reset every night after my auto backup). Some other people have close to 100 apps on their Treo 650 and it runs stable. There must be some problem if you are freezing regularly. Of course, lots of people will tell you not to use Versamail. It is a shame that they packaged such a poor email program out of the box.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    I have 64 apps running in ROM and RAM, 8MB free and nothing on the SD card but music and movies...my 650 is rock solid after two years. I did delete Versa from the ROM, though...
    smitpat... i had the same problem when exiting Versamail to go back to the applications screen or any other screen for that matter. It all stopped when i installed an update for versamail for verizon phones found on the palm site.
    I have not had versamail cause a reset since i applied the update.
    Hope this will be the fix that you need.... again ... i was on a verizon Treo650 and it will load versamail 3.1F and did the trick for me.

http://www.palm.com/us/support/downl...samail31f.html
    ~fredp

T3 > Treo650-VZW Custom ROM Transcend 8GB SDHC >> 755p-Sprint/SERO Transcend 4GB SDHC
    12 Posts
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    Thanks! I installed the update to Versamail; we'll see what happens.
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    By the way, for those of you who don't use Versamail (I've heard it's a problem.), what do you use?

And thanks for all of the replies. I'm newly encouraged that I can load this thing up!
    From my experience with the 650, this issue seems unique enough to suspect something related to the Versamail program. It was based on one of the best mail programs for the Palm in the early years (Multimail), but it's had far too many problems and fixes since being used on the Treo - I avoid it unless someone requires a "free" program.

I've used Snappermail with nearly no issues the past few years, and haven't had the need to look beyond it. Tried Chattermail and it has a lot of potential, but on the 700p there are still odd troubles cropping up with it.
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    http://www.palm.com/us/support/downl...samail31f.html mentions that VersaMail 3.1F Update is "for Bell, Verizon and Sprint Treo 650 smartphones"

Do others need to update?? I have Versamail 3.1E on my Treo650 Cinguler Unlocked GSM. Should I update? I have also noticed Treo freezing sometimes while opening email or fetching email from POP servers.
    Last edited by jmdesai; 02/21/2007 at 04:46 AM. Reason: URL corrected
    I have used VersaMail for 26 months now. 24 months on a 650 and two months on a 700P. It has served me well with no freezes or resets. The only issue that has arisen is that every 6 months or so -- mail will no longer delete off the server as instructed. A delete and a re-create of the affected account within VersaMail on the Treo cures that issue for me.

Cheers, Perry.
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    Thanks again for the replies. So far, so good. I will try Versamail 3.1F (and maybe upgrade to 3.5) for now. If it still isn't stable, I may try SnapperMail.

And I'm very much looking forward to the 900P!
    Sorry, I should have thought of that up front. You should always check the update site to make sure you have the latest version. Most people with the latest software/firmware are pretty stable nowadays.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    My first concern was his use of the words Active Sync. Treo 650 hardware forum and active Sync being mentioned should have raised some eyebrows. At least for a clarification. Because I will note. I have both a Treo 650 and an Axim x51V and HotSync and Active Sync will not work together "out of the box" You need to tweak a bit on it and then they are OK. Since I hotsync via bluetooth now I have less issues that were assimilar but not quite truly congruent to the posters. I don't use versamail.

Just a thought though...
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    Update: Since bringing all of my software up to date, including OS, Versamail, and Docs to Go, I have had no problems. My Treo hasn't reset once. I'm loving it again. Thanks everyone!
    Congratulations! It's good you stuck with it...I hate seeing people dump their Treos after so little time. They really are worth it, it just takes a lot of patience to get them "just right".
    Hi ,I have the wxact same problem with exact timing details and i have tried everything and ready to give up on mytreo ( update to the latest firmware,put something under sim , change carrier, try different carrierdb and networkdb, hard reset, zero reset) nothing worked the pda works lovely without the phone but once the phone is on i have dropped calls and freezing issues what i don't understand is that it worked fine for several months . I am ready to buy a Tx and decent phone now (shame , I bought the treo so i don't hav to use 2 gadget and i'll miss gprs) but I can't take it anymore,my versamail is 1,3e should i give it a try to upgrade, and what file should i buy my treo is 650-1.20-ena hardware a thanks
    Hi ,I have the wxact same problem with exact timing details and i have tried everything and ready to give up on mytreo ( update to the latest firmware,put something under sim , change carrier, try different carrierdb and networkdb, hard reset, zero reset) nothing worked the pda works lovely without the phone but once the phone is on i have dropped calls and freezing issues what i don't understand is that it worked fine for several months . I am ready to buy a Tx and decent phone now (shame , I bought the treo so i don't hav to use 2 gadget and i'll miss gprs) but I can't take it anymore,my versamail is 3,1e should i give it a try to upgrade, and what file should i buy my treo is 650-1.20-ena hardware a thanks