Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    If you haven't, read the Treo Central review of TreoCiel, install it, try it out, then come back..

Welcome back..

Wow, eh?! At first I thought that hey, 4Cast does all I need. But wow, this program is too cool. It's too much info for most folks I think, but this is exactly what kind of stuff I like. Hour-by-hour temperature, precipitation, and wind prediction for 24h, then 7 days of day and night predictions for each. All charted out in a sensible manner. And if the charts get too overrun, just set up a second or third chart configuration and remove some info. I have all three data points on the first one, then just temp on the second, and just precipitation on the third.

I'm going to give it the full trial run as I always do, just to make sure it's stable and works reliably, but I think this is a keeper.

BTW, I do nearly this exacty same thing using some scripts, WeatherBug data, and Cacti to graph historical data on my server so I can see the current and past weather information, so this is a terrific analogue to that for future data.
    Wow, I though I was a weather geek. :
  3.    #3  
    I'm definately a weather geek.. I'm on this side of being a weather dork.. . I don't own my own weather station, let's make that the line. ;-)
    What is it with men and the weather??? My ex-husband and my Dad like to leave the weather channel on all day long...it drives me nuts!
  5.    #5  
    No no, that would drive me nuts too. I don't want to hear someone going on about the weather all the time. Our local meteorologists drive me nuts too, we'll keep you informed about this potentially damaging storm! Winds might reach as high as 10mph! TAKE COVER NOW!!

Seriously though.. I do like to have the information, but yikes, no.
    I prefer hourly 4cast
    Fred
    Cingular 680
    Hey...here in Atlanta, if there's hint of snow, all the stores run out of bread, water and milk. The schools and business shut down and the meteorologists on EVERY channel are on the entire day, warning of impending DOOM. Then, the most we ever get is a light dusting of flakes and there are accidents on every highway. I'm from Chicago, so it's just sad...
    Quote Originally Posted by Christinac130 View Post
    Hey...here in Atlanta, if there's hint of snow, all the stores run out of bread, water and milk. The schools and business shut down and the meteorologists on EVERY channel are on the entire day, warning of impending DOOM. Then, the most we ever get is a light dusting of flakes and there are accidents on every highway. I'm from Chicago, so it's just sad...
    What I hate is when my Atlanta connection is delayed because of rain... Atlanta... rain. It's like being delayed in Chicago because of wind. You'd think by now they would be prepared for something like that.

Getting back to the OP, I've seen TreoCiel before and I was intrigued by the charts and everything. I just think it's more than I would ever use.
    Global Posts
    680 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Christinac130 View Post
    I agree 100%. I'm from Boston, but went to college in Atlanta. On those unusual days when a little (1" or so) snow would fall, the city would go beserk. It was pretty funny, for one used to real winters, until you got on the road with some of those folks who just don't know how to drive in snow.
    It look interesting but I don't see the cost. It must be buried somewhere. It wasn't even clear what the cost was under the BUY tab.
  11.    #11  
    erm, it's in the review and right on the Buy page...
    The _real_ scary thing about atlanta is that most of the people who don't know how to drive in the snow used to live in NJ! (Maybe they just didn't drive town the NJ turnpike at 85 - 90 mph in the snow...)
    NJ is still marginal regarding how to deal with snow. I lived there for about a year and they would put salt down for 3-4 inches of snow on the road. No plowing, just a bunch of slush. They aren't Chicago or Cleveland types down there.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Guilty as charged. . . .Weather Geek.

TreoCiel . . . read the review. . . . downloaded the trial . . . . played for 10 minutes. . . .bought it. ($12ish US dollars)

BTW: It's been 24 hours and I still have not gotten my registration code e-mail --- so do not be expecting 5 minute turn around on that . . . .
    OK. I'm convinced. I tried it initally and it took a while to understand what was being presented but now I really like it. When I'm heading out on a trip or to an outside event, I do much the same on my PC with weather.com. First looking at the daily then the hourly predictions; going back to re-check the chance of precipitation and wind. This provides all that info on a couple of graphs. Assume it would be possible to do the same on a PC with weather.com data. Has anyone done so?
    Unfortunately, it looks like their registration scheme depends on a devide ID, which means the code wont work if you need to get a warranty replacement, upgrade to a new model, etc. I've sent an email to the company to verify this.

I don't buy programs that have this sort of registration scheme.
    Most companies have procedures to deal with hardware warranty replacement. Hard to imagine that product registration for a $12 program would be a deal breaker.
    Global Posts
    591 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden View Post
    BTW: It's been 24 hours and I still have not gotten my registration code e-mail --- so do not be expecting 5 minute turn around on that . . . .
    Hmm, mine made it in about 1 minute flat.
    geoff

Treo 650 1.20 LAP.
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrickS View Post
    Unfortunately, it looks like their registration scheme depends on a devide ID ...
    I got a quick response from the company and apparently the registration code depends only on the Hotsync ID, so I've gone ahead and registered the app.

For those of us facing draconian data costs, it's good to see a weather update consuming only 7K of data usage.
  20.    #20  
    Hmm, I see 23k of data each time... Just wanted to mention it.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast