1.    #1  
    After being lied to by Cingular that the 700 would be available in "2 months" for almost a year, I finally bought the 650 (about 2 weeks before the 680 came out and shortly before they skipped the 700 to the 750). I had issues from the beginning, but ignored them before exchanging the phone last week. I was shocked at how bad the replacement phone was from the very first call. The issues:

People's voices are very buzzy, like they are talking through a kazuu, and are completely unintelligible if they are using a speaker phone.
    The volume is so low a call from a car or a non-silent room is impossible, never mind a bar
    The phone mutes almost completely during call waiting
    Some of the time it doesn't feel the need to inform me when I get a text message, and then when I turn the screen on hours later it will pretend it just received the message that moment and put a false time stamp on it
    And a new bug: it crashed during a phone call on day 1.
    The one thing it does better than the old phone is less static during the call.

After 15 minutes on hold I need to call cingular again to give them more info that can only be printed underneath the battery, so while I'm waiting, had anyone else had these issues? Is there a remedy? How do these phones even pass QA? Do the have QA? It my only hope to keep returning them until the give me a 680, or is the 680 just as much of a lemon at the 650?

I have been a Palm and Handspring nut. I bought the very first Handspring days after it came out. I love the Palm OS. But this phone makes me want to quit Palm.
    Sounds like you got an individual lemon of a 650 unit, the device should not act this way. . . .

However, how did you update from your current Palm device to the 650? Did you do a clean install?

http://treo.discuss.treocentral.com/...ad.php?t=99450
    It doesn't sound like he's loaded anything on it. It definitely shouldn't be acting that way right out of the box. Back when the 650 first came out, there were a lot of reports of bad sound quality.

Did Cingular give you a really great deal on the 650? Is it a refurb? Because if you signed a new contract or renewed your old one, the 680 is only $50 more than a refurb 650. It would be worth the money to get a new 680.
  4.    #4  
    gtwo:
    My previous Palm device to this was a Sony Clie, so I didn't dare try to sync anything. I beamed all of contacts and memos and a few games that I couldn't find new versions of. Everything else is fresh and new. I've barely installed anything, really. I have one screen worth of games and I don't think any thrid party apps, and I don't use email and haven't even used the web on it in a month...

Christinac130:
    Cingular was still lying and saying the 700 was coming out in two months, and never mentioned the 680. I never even heard of the 680 before then... I should have followed the tech news more, because the 680 came out 2 weeks later. I bought my phone through an Air Force discount, sorta. The phone was $300 or something, but I wasn't forced to sign up for a $40/month data contract + $8+ for messages. I got the MEdiaNET plan that gives me unlimited data and 200 messages for $20/month. Don't call Cingular and ask about it though, they will lie and tell you it is "incompatible" with the Treo. The Cingular store employees are taught to repeat that same lie. So, bad price on the phone but I save $800-$1300 over 2 years vs other plans.

Of course, now I hear you can cancel that $40/month data thing after 3 months, but I assume you lose whatever waranty

And yeah, that second phone sounded like a kazuu on call one, day one.

The first one was new, the second came in a plastic bag but didn't look used, but I assume it was. They are now sending me a brand new one in a box, with free Fed Ex shipping. So, as much as I complain about there service they are winning a few points.

If #3 doesn't work, that means #4 is a 680, right? Is there much of a difference?
    Quote Originally Posted by skintigh View Post
    Christinac130:
    Of course, now I hear you can cancel that $40/month data thing after 3 months, but I assume you lose whatever waranty

And yeah, that second phone sounded like a kazuu on call one, day one.

The first one was new, the second came in a plastic bag but didn't look used, but I assume it was. They are now sending me a brand new one in a box, with free Fed Ex shipping. So, as much as I complain about there service they are winning a few points.

If #3 doesn't work, that means #4 is a 680, right? Is there much of a difference?
    I don't think you lose your warranty if you change your plan. I plan on changing mine, online, after the time period ends. There are many threads on here of users trying to change their data plans through Cingular's customer service only to get shot down. It's easy to do online, though. I changed my plan immediately for my 650, but I have to wait 181 days for the 680.

Are you still within your return/warranty period? If you can exchange it, you should.

There actually is a big difference between the 650 and 680. The sound quality is much higher, there's a lot more memory and mine has been stable from day one (other than SIM card issues). My 650 took awhile before I was able to get it stable...now, it's rock solid. If you can get a good one, the 650 is a really nice device. But, other than some apps not yet being compatible for the 680, I like it much better...
  6.    #6  
    Ok, that was a brain fart. I meant you might lose your rebate, not your waranty. I could have gotten the phone for $25 after rebates from amazon, but I think I had to pay $50x24 extra to get some of the rebates.

Anyway, cingular sent me a brand new 680!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I guess they got sick of my complaining, or maybe they ran out of 650s to mail me, or maybe just took pity on me and skipped to an upgrade. I've barely used it so far, but the sound quality is PERFECT so far. Zero noise, zero hiss, zero back ground buzz, voices are loud and clear and sound like voices instead of kazuus, I love it! I even placed a call from my car today!!!! Hopefully my text message and call waiting issue will be gone, but as long as I have a working phone I'm one happy camper.

I miss the metal stylus, though And the interface is going to take some getting used to, and the manual is non existant, but hey, free upgrade. Oh, and I love that it charges from USB, and the new hands free unit is a bonus since my last one got dragged down several miles of rainy highway... And it even seems the camera is better.

Happy happy happy
    WOW!!! Congratulations!

If you do run into a call waiting or text message issue, contact Cingular. When I first got my 680, Cingular had my account all screwed up. My call waiting was disabled and text had not been added to my account. They can clear that up easily...

When you install the CD that came with it, the manual is there in .pdf format. The camera is the same, but does take better quality pics on the 680 than the 650 for some reason.

Have fun with your new "toy"!