Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by bclancy View Post
    Longterm: Your suggestion to consider holding out for the iPhone was a good one, and I too hold much hope for that device, but let's keep this thread on-topic and keep the discussion of the iPhone where it belongs.
    Bob, with all due respect, I think I WAS answering his question. He asked whether he should hold onto the Treo, or whether he should bring it back while that was still possible.

I was trying to answer his question; let me approach it from a different perspective, and I'll quit mentioning any other device (sorry if that offends anyone, but I do think it's relevant).

If I were thinking about buying a smartphone today, February 19th, knowing what I know right now about the current state of affairs with Palm and the 700p, and if I also knew about what is coming down the pike, I would hold off from buying a Treo. I say that as a 700p owner who could not wait to buy the 700p, and I still like it, for all of my complaining and my misgivings.

I don't think that the Palm 700p is a good purchase right now, for these reasons:

1. Palm's not taking care of it; they're not maintaining the OS or the built-in apps.

2. Now that I've lived with it for a good while (including my time with the 650), I think the form factor is too big and clunky.

3. [this is a personal thing, but] I don't care for chiclet keyboards. My big fingers don't fit well on this thing, so I expect virtual keyboards to be no worse for me.

Those are my reasons why I would not recommend this to one of my friends. If you had asked me last fall I would have said, "Yes, by all means buy the 700p." But last fall I didn't realize how much trouble I was going to have with the web browser.

I do think that his decision requires him to consider other alternatives, and that's why i brought up that other device. If someone were to ask me right now about buying a plasma TV or a new car, I would definitely have to mention all the possible alternatives, as well as any known products that would be forthcoming in the very near future.

i'm not trying to irritate you guys; I like my Treo and I use it all the time. I just don't like it as much as I used to, and that's unfortunate, but as we say in the music business, "higher, faster, louder..."

All the best,

Bob
    Fair enough, let's let the OP tell us what's useful to him. -- Bob
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
  3.    #23  
    Oh, I already bought the device. It's sitting on the charger as we speak.
    Quote Originally Posted by jessep28 View Post
    Oh, I already bought the device. It's sitting on the charger as we speak.
    An important first step :-)

Here's the link for PalmOS programs at MTDN:
    http://mytreo.net/downloads/cat1.html
  5.    #25  
    What is the current Sprint Software version...I am showing 1.08
    Here's a quick first list of some apps that should be very useful.
    You can read descriptions of these at the link in my last post.

Internet and Networking
    =======================
    ChatterEmail+ 3.0.3
    Feature Rich, very reliable, email client for most purposes, not too expensive
    Directory Assistant 3.28
    free - you can donate via paypal - best directions and 411 app out there
    PdaNet for Treo 700p 4.02
    You aren't supposed to use your treo as a modem for your laptop.
    If you buy this, use it those few times you need access and you'll be
    ok, overuse it or use it as your only ISP and Sprint will send you nasty
    letters.

File Management
    ===============
    FileZ 6.8.3 - good, free program for moving files around.

System Tools
    ============
    Obfuscate 1.0 - renames promoware programs that Sprint puts in ROM
    Reset Doctor 1.54 - manages dbcache, we can talk more about this later

Travel/Navigation
    =================
    Google Maps for Treo 1.1.1 - very cool and very useful

Treo Extensions
    ===============
    Butler 4.0 - You probably don't need this right away, but get it if you keep treo.

I didn't mention any "backup" software yet. I believe while you are trialing things that you can postpone decisions about backup software. If you find yourself trying a lot of different program configurations, or programs that "mess up your treo", you'll want to revisit the decision and start trialing a backup program too.

-- That's it or now, good luck, -- Bob
    Quote Originally Posted by jessep28 View Post
    What is the current Sprint Software version...I am showing 1.08
    There hasn't been an update yet. Mine says 1.08 too.

Phone -> Menu -> Options -> Phone Info
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12