Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1.    #1  
    I've noticed a problem with my Treo 680 with the sound quality since I first got it. I use my 680 at the gym all the time, listening to MP3's with Pocket Tunes and mOcean, and the sound amplification is nowhere close to what it was on my old 650. The sound quality on my 650 was awesome. I listened to music with my Sony in-ear headphones with the Seidio 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapter and it sounded great. With my 680, my Sony headphones didn't sound anywhere close to the 650. So, thinking it was the headphones, I bought Bose in-ear headphones, and the sound quality only improved by 1-2%. The sound amplification is still lousy.

    I listen to music in my car with my 680 using mOcean's USB drive feature, which I use with my Kenwood X590 (includes a USB connector feature), and it sounds great. So, the sound amplification problem appears to be coming from the headphone jack on the 680, not the entire unit itself.

    Palm, if you're reading this, please put out a ROM update ASAP to fix this issue. I can't be the only person experiencing this.

    Thanks.
  2. #2  
    I use the 680 in the NY subway and I find it more than adequate and don't need max volume. Perhaps your loosing volume in your adapter jack. OR you might try looking around the various volume settings as something might be off.
  3. #3  
    The volume on my 680 is much better than my 650 and I have the Palm Flexiskin covering the earpiece. You might have a bad unit...
  4.    #4  
    You might be right. I was noticing that in other threads of users' other issues (i.e., keyboard flickering). It might be worth it to call Cingular tomorrow to request a replacement unit.
  5. #5  
    have you tried using the "boost" option of ptunes?
    It helped me a lot...
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Oceanier View Post
    You might be right. I was noticing that in other threads of users' other issues (i.e., keyboard flickering). It might be worth it to call Cingular tomorrow to request a replacement unit.
    With all the posts of greater sound quality on the 680, you shouldn't really have to use any third party apps or "tricks" to get good sound. If it were a problem with devices across the board, I could see it. But, of all the complaints about the 680, volume isn't one of them. I would call Cingular and replace it...
  7. #7  
    As far as I'm concerned they fixed the volume issues I saw on my old 650. My 680 is fine, and I'm usually a notch or two below the max setting. NYC subways, PATH trains, etc. I freakin' love this phone!
  8.    #8  
    I think you all might be right. On the old 650, after the 1b.17 update, volume never really did improve and VolumeCare had to be used to make it "normal." And, I, too, have noticed in reading posts that volume has not been a concern. I'll definitely call Cingular to get a replacement, and let y'all know what happens.
  9. #9  
    It shouldn't be a problem if you're within your 30 day "trial" period. Good luck!
  10. #10  
    I actually just sent mine back in to get a replacement on two issues:

    1. I had horrible volume and could not hear people very well. Tried using volumeboost and still has issues sometimes.
    2. People constantly said they were getting an acho of themselves when they were on the phone with me. I never heard anything, but different people o0n different phones and different networks kept telling me the same thing.

    I've read a few people with volume issues, but not many at all. It seems that it might be the unit itself in these cases, so I'm trying a replacement.

    Best of luck.
    Trust me, I'm a producer.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Oceanier View Post
    I think you all might be right. On the old 650, after the 1b.17 update, volume never really did improve and VolumeCare had to be used to make it "normal." And, I, too, have noticed in reading posts that volume has not been a concern. I'll definitely call Cingular to get a replacement, and let y'all know what happens.
    The Treo 680 actually has almost the same volume as the 650 but it looks like Palm improved the clarity of the volume. VolumeCare has been measured to increase both the handset and speaker phone volume by 10 decibels on the Treo 680. Not as significant as the Treo 650 (25 decibels gain) but still significant!

    Jeff
  12. eKeith's Avatar
    Posts
    759 Posts
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffgibson View Post
    The Treo 680 actually has almost the same volume as the 650 but it looks like Palm improved the clarity of the volume. VolumeCare has been measured to increase both the handset and speaker phone volume by 10 decibels on the Treo 680. Not as significant as the Treo 650 (25 decibels gain) but still significant!

    Jeff
    This is my experience. I'm disappointed with the low handset volume on the 680 and VolumeCare helps but not as well as it did on my 650.
    Current Phones: Unlocked AT&T Pre3; Samsung Galaxy Nexus i9250; HTC Desire A8181
    Current Tablets: Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 183825U; HP TouchPad 32GB w/ACL
    Previous Devices: Unlocked UK Pre3; HTC Touch Diamond; Palm Unlocked GSM Treo 680; PalmOne Unlocked GSM 650; Palm Tungsten T3 w/PalmOne WiFi Card, PowerToGo and ASUS WL-330g; 3Com Palm III; Sony Clie N760C

Posting Permissions