1.    #1  
    I'm thinking about the 700p and have a few questions for those who have walked this path.

I have a Treo 650 which I am pleased with but it is beginning to malfunction with a stuck key, and volume that does not work unless I use speaker.

1. Can you still use PDAnet to connect to the web with the 700p?

2. I'm with Sprint, will my bill be the same, I only pay $10.00 a month for Vision?

3. Have the Lag time issue I've been reading about been addressed?

4. If you recently had to have a 650 replaced with Lockline, did you get a 700p or another 650?

5. If you had a 650 and could do it over again, would you still stay with the 700p over the 650, and why?

I tried to search the forum but I only got a white screen, so excuse me if these questions have been addressd prior.

Thanks
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    1. Need a new version of PDANet
    2. Power vison is at least $5 more, $10 more for your granfathered options.
    Will also have to add a text package that was included before in vison.
    3. Lag is still there, usually when exiting the web or when bouncing to roaming.
    4. Can't answer.
    5. No I would no go back. I later got in on a Sprint SERO plan and now it is
    actually cheaper than before.
    sero = 500 minutes
    free long distance
    free roaming, nights and weekends
    unlimited data
    $29.99
    Add $8 for 500 text messages $7 for insurance and your good
    to go. You might even be able to weasel your corp disc package
    in the mix.
    You should be able to get the base power vision for $15.

I love the EVDO speed and extra memory. The 700P is my perfect 650.

I have very occassional lag, but it does not bother me.

I would not go back to the 650.
    I thought I read that a ROM update might be out by April. What it will fix is a question. . . .
    Hi ya GeekyMom,

You and I met in DC, when Palm had the Treo 650 Road Show.

Not long after the 700p came out, I picked one up to replace my 650. After 2 weeks I hated and sent it back to Palm. 3 months later I picked up a "pre-owned" 700p from someone here on the forums and I have not looked back. The extra RAM and the speed of PowerVision are 2 big advantages over the 650.

1) Yes, with the version of PDANet made for the 700p.
    2) The 700p will require a bump up to PowerVision, which is slightly more then the Vision plan you have for the 650.
    3) The lag time issue has not been addressed by Palm, but speaking for myself it's a minor annoyance I have learned to live with. Hopefully the expected ROM update will correct it.
    4) Cant help you with this one.
    5) My 700p is here to stay. While I loved the 650, I have come to appreciate how much better the 700p is. My 650 is now my GPS device which I use with the Palm/TomTom GPS system.
    CGordonn
    SPCS Treo 700p
    Virginia Beach, VA but home will
    always be Honolulu, HI
    Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    1. I still use PDANet.
    2. I pay $10 for vision. Do not upgrade to power vision if you want to keep your plan. You still get higher speed internet.
    3. It has not been an issue for me.
    4. If I had a 650 I would definitly would go with the 700p.
    5. The internet is much faster and the 8GB card compatability.
    Never had a 650, went fro 600 to 700p. Purchased a new one thru Sero web page for $350 with no rebates needed and a 2 year contract. Got a retentions rep to combine the Sero and my existing family plan on two other devices. Gave my previous treo 600 number to my son.

I was pretty peeved when I had constant resets and couldn't install many of the apps that ran before, but I think my phone was mis-programmed, (didn't have a HSSN (Handspring Serial Number) in the ROM. I believe many of my apps were checking for this, and resetting when they did not find it. I believe Sprint programmed this during a "SPL update" that they pushed to my phone. After this point, I could load most apps again without the reset probelms.

Regardng lags, I never had a 650 so I probably don't know exactly what others are callng a lag. I generally don't get many, but when I do (get a white screen) I don't have the patience to try and wait it out. I ususally press the reset pin and move on. For the most part, the lags are tolerable since they do not happen too often. I think it is important to have a good cache management program (like Reset Doctor) to keep you dbcache not too full.

Regarding Vison, I went from $10 to $15/month and lost text messaging on my treo 700p, but I just stopped using text messaging as my wife and son never use it and I only had used it to receive news alerts anyway. I've heard the comment before that you can insist you want only vision rather than Power Vision. If you get Sero, it's a moot point, as your bill is cheaper and Power Vision is included for free.

You'll have to pay most of the price (a small upgrade discount to JuneFabrics.com) for PdaNet for the 700p, but it works great and is one of the nice things about EVDO.

Regarding Lockline (actually I think Asurion is handling this for me now). You can call them and say you want to replace via the program, and when they come back to you and say whether you'll be getting a 650 or a 700p, you can "get busy with the kids" (one advantage to being a geekyMom) :-) if the answer is 650, and then call back the next day until the answer eventually becomes 700p! (Of course you might spend so much time with this approach that just buying the phone would really be worth it.) If they wear you out, you can sell the "new" refurbished 650 on EBay and get a 700p thruough sero.

If I had the choice of not upgrading (in my case 600->700p), I'd have to seriously reconsider which choice I'd make. I was "running out of memory" on the 600, and that problem would have been worse on the 650 - so I'd probably still do the upgrade. Some of my growing pains in switching devices was the "NVFS learning curve". In general, I'd say if you have been following these forums, the 650->700p will probably be an acceptable upgrade. You already know the sore spots, and we've learned to live with them until the ROM update comes. I'm still peeved that this update has taken so long. I'd only recommend the 700p to people like you who know what the issues will be and are smart enough to understand the workarounds. Bluetooth is worse. Workaround is more re-pairing than you would like, and hotsyncing and using PdaNet via the USB cable. If PTunes skips are going to annoy you, stay with a 650. From what I read on these forus, most 650 users definitely notice slower switching, but many of us know how to tell the difference between a lag due to a poor coverage area and a generally slower device. You can avoid the poor coverage lag by turning your phone off in poor coverage areas when you need to use PDA functions without lags. You'll probably be a little dissapointed in slightly slower speed, unless you use data a lot, and then you'll appreciate the EVDO speeds.

So I've given you sort of a "mixed review" regarding whether you should upgrade. I think it's really a decsion based on how you use the device. If your gut feeling after reading this is to stay with a 650, then your lockline call should be faster. If you want to hold out for the 700p, it's an accepatble, but slightly clunky device that you have to be a true geek to still love.

hope this helps, -- Bob
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
  8.    #8  
    Thanks guys for the responses, I really appreciate them.

Yes, the early adapters usually get the not so nice job of suffering through the quirks and glitches of a new phone. I just hope there is firmware coming soon to minimize the problems I see with the 700p. As many found out with the arrival of the 650, help was on the way and finally did arrive.

Insurance question: I'm wondering if the insurance would warrant a replacement since it states it covers accidents & losses. I'm not sure if it would replace a phone just because things stop working properly. Please advise.

Thanks again!

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by GeekyMom View Post
    Thanks guys for the responses, I really appreciate them.

Yes, the early adapters usually get the not so nice job of suffering through the quirks and glitches of a new phone. I just hope there is firmware coming soon to minimize the problems I see with the 700p. As many found out with the arrival of the 650, help was on the way and finally did arrive.

Insurance question: I'm wondering if the insurance would warrant a replacement since it states it covers accidents & losses. I'm not sure if it would replace a phone just because things stop working properly. Please advise.

Thanks again!
    The insurance should cover it for pretty much any reason. If they insist, say you accidentally sat on it and now some keys are not working ;-)

There will be a $50 deductible.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    It basically comes down to the high speed and extra memory. I woulld not go back. Also seems more stable to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by d1hamby View Post
    2. I pay $10 for vision. Do not upgrade to power vision if you want to keep your plan. You still get higher speed internet.
    I have an old free vision plan and never upgraded to power vision. Call the business customer service to do a straight HSN number swap.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    I'm thinking about the 700p and have a few questions for those who have walked this path.

I have a Treo 650 which I am pleased with but it is beginning to malfunction with a stuck key, and volume that does not work unless I use speaker.

1. Can you still use PDAnet to connect to the web with the 700p?

2. I'm with Sprint, will my bill be the same, I only pay $10.00 a month for Vision?

3. Have the Lag time issue I've been reading about been addressed?

4. If you recently had to have a 650 replaced with Lockline, did you get a 700p or another 650?

5. If you had a 650 and could do it over again, would you still stay with the 700p over the 650, and why?

I tried to search the forum but I only got a white screen, so excuse me if these questions have been addressd prior.

Thanks
    1) You still can but you have to buy a new version exclusive for the 700p. Maybe the developer can give you a discount if you have a previous version?

2) I am with Verizon, sorry I can't answer that

3) The issue is still there, everybody knows it (even Palm) and it has been promised to get somewhat fixed, but not quite... better read Palm's response letter to get familiar with what probles are being addressed by Palm in the 700p.

4) Cannot comment on this either

5) I had a 600 and definitely the jump to 700p was big and very useful for me, thanks to big memory, EVDO speeds, Bluetooth, removable battery and compatibility with many plug-in accesories (cradles, chargers, etc). But for a 650 owner, there are only 2 real reasons to upgrade: more memory and EVDO speeds, the rest you already have in the 650.
    Ok, since not many answered #4, I'll give you what happened with me....

I was having problems with the T button on my Treo 650. I called Assurion and they said that since I have the $6 insurance stuff (both the replacement and the fix in store thing, whatever they're called) it would be replaced under the fix in store part and not require the $50 deductible. They did say I'd be getting a refurbed 650. Eh, fine, whatever, at least it'll look better than my old one.

Well, I get the thing, and it freezes after sitting around for a few minutes, a freeze that a soft reset couldn't cure. I called, they sent me a replacement. This time, the refurbed 650's 5-way felt awkward, and I had a hard time getting the down to work. I called and told them I wanted a new 650 because I can't wait around for weeks until they finally get it right. They said they'd make an exception this one time and send me a new one, but that it would take 5-7 business days. Two days later, I get a brand new Treo 700p in the mail.

As for going back, I'm not sure. I seriously doubt it though. Pocket-Tunes doesn't play smoothly, at least the one included in the ROM. I downloaded the latest one, and it works like a charm. I don't really listen to music from it that much, so that's not that big of a problem. It does seem to skip or hang every now and then, while I'm typing a text or something. That's a bit annoying, but it may be a 3rd party app doing it, possibly ProfileCare. EV-DO is awesome though, as is the added memory. I pretty much have all of my programs I had on my 650's card via PowerRun in the RAM. Well, most of them, I didn't bring them all over.
  14.    #14  
    Would you believe I still haven't called the replacement company. It's like I don't want to part with an old friend or something. I've learned to work around the defects. -LOL

Today while teaching class, I got an important call and everyone's eyes turned to me to listen. It would have been comical had I not pressed the "hangup" button instead of speaker to hear.

Anyhoo, I really do need to get on it, not being able to have a conversation without speaker is just plain crazy. Does anyone happen to have the number?

Thanks.

Would you believe I still haven't called the replacement company. It's like I don't want to part with an old friend or something. I've learned to work around the defects. -LOL
    I've been the same way. I have the 680 and find myself still carrying around my 650. I got the Treo to eliminate having to carry around multiple devices and now I carry two Treos . I can't help it, for over two years she's kept me organized and occupied my time when bored. She's been practically fused to my hand since I got her and I can't seem to let her go...
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Christinac130 View Post
    I've been the same way. I have the 680 and find myself still carrying around my 650. I got the Treo to eliminate having to carry around multiple devices and now I carry two Treos . I can't help it, for over two years she's kept me organized and occupied my time when bored. She's been practically fused to my hand since I got her and I can't seem to let her go...
    LOL, looks like I'm cutting the apron string after all.

I just called Lockline and their sending me a 650. I know it may be the 700p when it gets here, but at least I'm used to the 650 and the bugs are out of it. We will see what the delivery really delivers.

How about similar questions for thos eon Verizon witht he 700p. I currently have a 650 on VZN that has seen better days and only 3 months from discount/replacement eligibility. I purchased a Moto Q on eBay, used it a few months and switched back to the 650. The Q is nice however I oculd not get acustomed to the lack of a touch screen. So, I have both...and seriously thinking the 700p or 700WX is an option. Believe it or not, the threaded SMS is a great feature Im not sure I am willing to depart from via a WM5 device.
    Quote Originally Posted by loumacuser View Post
    How about similar questions for thos eon Verizon witht he 700p. I currently have a 650 on VZN that has seen better days and only 3 months from discount/replacement eligibility. I purchased a Moto Q on eBay, used it a few months and switched back to the 650. The Q is nice however I oculd not get acustomed to the lack of a touch screen. So, I have both...and seriously thinking the 700p or 700WX is an option. Believe it or not, the threaded SMS is a great feature Im not sure I am willing to depart from via a WM5 device.
    -theres a threaded sms hack for the wx

as for the p, If you can hold out a little longer, I would wait for the forthcoming update before switching
  19.    #19  
    Got my refur Treo 650 last week and it's wonderful to have keys that function again. The update fairy didn't come to see me but hey, I'm still loving my 650.

I'm back on ebay again, just purchased a new silicone case to try and protect the new baby from the battle scars the previous one suffered. The program buttons were the worst, it looked pretty worn.