Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    A friend of mine is a realtor. To gain access to houses, they use an eKey to open up a lockbox (containg the house's key).
    This eKey can be either be a small device, the size of a calculator or software installed and beamed from any of a series of PDAs, including the 700p (which I own). The rep on the phone mentioned that the 700p was one of their more reliable units, that is, they received the fewest complaints, ergo, the recommendation.
    Before I advise her to go out and purchase a 700p, I was wondering if anyone was familiar with using the 700p as an eKey.
    Thanks!
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    The 650 worked flawlessly for me as an eKey. The 700P has not. It will usually fail to open the box the first time I program it to do so. It keeps saying "Please point at iBox..." As it never connects with the box I have to cancel the operation and reenter my PIN code into the 700 to get it to open the box. It always works the second time. Tech support is working on my issue which was just reported last Tuesday. I haven't had an answer yet and this reminds me to check with them.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    thanks! please post back with a follow up. I hate recommending something that will cause someone else a headache!
    I will be changing over from my supra key to my ekey on 700p on the 21st... I will let you know more then...
    Need information on Real Estate, Please contact me!!!
    www.TheMMTeam.com
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogus View Post
    The 650 worked flawlessly for me as an eKey. The 700P has not. It will usually fail to open the box the first time I program it to do so. It keeps saying "Please point at iBox..." As it never connects with the box I have to cancel the operation and reenter my PIN code into the 700 to get it to open the box. It always works the second time. Tech support is working on my issue which was just reported last Tuesday. I haven't had an answer yet and this reminds me to check with them.
    A response from Supra is that this is an intermittent problem for most 700P users with no current solution. Since it is happening to me on a regular basis I have asked for further investigation. I will report back when I have another response.
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    I use my 700p daily with Supra eKey and have never had any issue with eKey working first time every time.

Also there is an IR update for the 700 that may or not be an issue with the previous poster's problem with that 700.

Your mileage may vary.
    Last edited by digipax; 02/20/2007 at 08:52 PM.
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by digipax View Post
    I use my 700p daily with Supra eKey and have never had any issue with eKey working first time every time.

Also there is an IR update for the 700 that may or not be an issue with the previous poster's problem with that 700.
    I did the IR update when I first obtained the 700P. As Supra has acknowledged, that's not the issue.
    Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    I'm a Realtor in the Washington, DC area and have a question regarding using my 700p as my eKey. This sounds great for the new infrared key boxes, but what happens with the last generation Supra boxes that the eKey works on by physically placing it on the key box?

It seems that most listings in and around the DC area (MD,DC,VA) have the older style Supra boxes. I myself only own one infrared box, the rest being the last gen ones.

Any thoughts? Do you need to carry your eKey as well as your 700p?

Thanks!
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by domer View Post
    I'm a Realtor in the Washington, DC area and have a question regarding using my 700p as my eKey. This sounds great for the new infrared key boxes, but what happens with the last generation Supra boxes that the eKey works on by physically placing it on the key box?

It seems that most listings in and around the DC area (MD,DC,VA) have the older style Supra boxes. I myself only own one infrared box, the rest being the last gen ones.

Thanks!
    Our MLS went through an all IBox conversion last year. We no longer use the AEII box which is the one that needed the key to be placed on the box. Those of us who use Treos use it as our key.
    Last edited by Rogus; 02/20/2007 at 11:48 PM.
    Our MLS went through an all IBox conversion last year. We no longer use the AEII box which is the one that needed the key to be placed on the box. Those of us who use Treos use it as our key.

Same here. I had the 650 for my eKey first, then upgraded to the 700p. The 700p is much more reliable and with all the extra memory I no longer have low-memory issues associated with the 650.

Highly recommended.
    Quote Originally Posted by domer View Post

Thanks!
    Supra will let you keep the old key to access the old style boxes for free. My Wife is a Realtor and just changed over and that is what was done for her.
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    I did the IR update when I first obtained the 700P. As Supra has acknowledged, that's not the issue.
    There are over 2100 agents in our office here and about a third of them use treo's. We have weekly boring meetings about all aspects of the areas the team has problems with and have yet to have anyone complain about Supra behaving strange. I'd suspect something else with the treo itself or some other program causing a compatibility issue. My first 700 (a very early version) had issues and Verizon replaced it, the new one runs quite well though.
    A response from Supra is that this is an intermittent problem for most 700P users with no current solution. Since it is happening to me on a regular basis I have asked for further investigation. I will report back when I have another response.
    I have found that if I have it pointed at the box when I push ok. It works fine. If I push ok and then move it towards the box it it doesn't always work the first time.
    Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikebpda View Post
    Supra will let you keep the old key to access the old style boxes for free. My Wife is a Realtor and just changed over and that is what was done for her.
    Great, thanks for the info. I'll call my local board and see if I can do the same...
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Depends on the MLS. Garden State, for example, requires realtors to surrender their old display keys. I believe they are 100% on the new lock boxes, so there should be no need for the older keys.
    Before we converted, Supra told me that I could keep the old key. However my board said NO. They said they didn't have the equipment necessary to generate a "passkey" for the software to work.

Once our board's contract was up with Supra we did a complete conversion. Part of the new contract included a 1 for 1 exchange of the old boxes.
    Quote Originally Posted by sxtg View Post
    I have found that if I have it pointed at the box when I push ok. It works fine. If I push ok and then move it towards the box it it doesn't always work the first time.
    That's exactly the case for me... I need to be by the lockbox in order for the beam to work functionally. Otherwise if i press OK while i'm away from the box, the treo can't find anything... kinda strange...

Other than that, I love the program! I never have to update, it just does it automatically!

In answer to the older lock boxes... convince your board of directors to only use the newer IR boxes and get rid of the older boxes. That's what we did, now anyone who has an older box will get fet a fine, not to mention, no will will be able to get in.
    Need information on Real Estate, Please contact me!!!
    www.TheMMTeam.com