Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I wonder who the first developer will be to offer 700p overclocking. I was hoping PXA clocker would step up to the challenge.

For those of you who are naive to the term (like I was), 700p overclocking is extremely simple with the right software. It will allow you to run processor hungry applications more smoothly (such as emulators). It also allows you to tune your processor to use up less power and save battery life.

Anyone with me on wanting this support for the 700p? Maybe developers are waiting for the firmware update before they release support?
    Last edited by BentEcho; 02/16/2007 at 07:33 PM.
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BentEcho View Post
    I wonder who the first developer will be to offer 700p overclocking. I was hoping PXA clocker would step up to the challenge.

For those of you who are naive to the term (like I was), 700p overclocking is extremely simple with the right software. It will allow you to run processor hungry applications more smoothly (such as emulators). It also allows you to tune your processor to use up less power and save battery life.

Anyone with me on wanting this support for the 700p? Maybe developers are waiting for the firmware update before the release support?
    Yup...would love to see an overclocking app for the 700P.

Like you, I'm still waiting!!

SMEGGIE
    Last edited by SMEGGIE; 02/16/2007 at 04:00 PM.
    Yer pal,

SMEGGIE

A bigger Treo fan than I'll admit.
    pxa clocker doesn't work already?
    Global Posts
    211 Global Posts
    Nope, works for a tiny few, but freezes up the unit for the rest of us.
    also waiting. the developers of pxa clocker have no idea why it doesn't work with the 700p and don't seem motivated to fix it.
    Global Posts
    989 Global Posts
    any updates on this yet?
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dlai View Post
    Nope, works for a tiny few, but freezes up the unit for the rest of us.
    does it freeze just by running- or when it speeds things up?

I'd actually like to find something that I could use to slow the thing down to conserve battery life.
    PXEC Lite works nice on my 700p. I only use it to speed TomTom 6 with the USA and Canada Map. The only problem I have is opening On Demand. Moving PXE to the card solves the problem (but have to move it back to device when need PXEC).
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    you have a link for PXEC?

I searched google, here, and mytreo.net and can't find it.
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    i actually downloaded and seem to be able to run pxa clocker. It's not exactly clear as day that it actually is doing anything though.

Is there a way to check the system clock speed to see what actually is going on to see if it is doing anything?
    Quote Originally Posted by SMEGGIE View Post
    Yup...would love to see an overclocking app for the 700P.

Like you, I'm still waiting!!

SMEGGIE

Why in the world would you want to put your hardware in a state that is apt to crashing?
    do a search for "speedy"
    !! uNo.....DoS.....tReO!!

http://www.myspace.com/ljj8503
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ljj8503 View Post
    do a search for "speedy"
    can you be more specific? that pulls up a TON of threads.
    speedy is a benchmarking app so you can tell if the overclocking app is working or not.
    I tried PXA clocker light on my 700p and it works just fine. So, I ordered the full version to see if I can really get this thing cooking!
    Quote Originally Posted by bjmarler View Post
    I tried PXA clocker light on my 700p and it works just fine. So, I ordered the full version to see if I can really get this thing cooking!
    If you can post benchmark scores to back up your claim, please do so.
    Claim?
    I did one benchmark with "Benchmark 2.0

Normal - 410%
    PXA - 615% (pxa set to 468)

So, at least that one benchmark shows a pretty good increase.

I'll have to see how it goes the next few days on stability.
    I just did another benchmark with Speedy benchmark program.

Speedy showed no difference no matter what settings I changed in PXA. Odd??? I can only guess that Speedy is a much older program and is not reading the cpu properly??? Anyone know?
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    thanks for the instructions on using speedy to test.

I can confirm that, in my case at least, pxaclocker (lite version 5.1) is doing something. Default speed seems to come up 300mhz on speedy - I can dial it down as low as 21 on speedy (pxa set to like 26). (that's what I'm looking for is ratcheting the defaults down so i can save battery life with push email).

I can't seem to really get anything much above 300 though. Seems the turbo settings do nothing (as instructions say I didn't touch half turbo but changing multiplier to 1 or 2 or 2.5 from default 1.5 doesn't seem to have an effect on speedy's results). Since turbo seems to do nothing as far as speedy is concerned I'm left to fiddle with 'sys' speed basically. If I juice that up to 234 or 240 (1.5 multiplier so cpu clock at 351 or 360) I can get speedy to say 303 mhz every now and again. But doesn't look like it overclocks much OR speedy doesn't recognize it. 240/360 seems borderline stable and anything higher on my device seems to lock up for sure.

Might just be me- but my treo seems a bit unstable too even at "normal speeds"- right now I have it "on" but with the default speeds for everything- just to see if pxaclocker itself is unstable or if it is fiddling with the speeds that does it.

Assuming it's fine like this than I have to figure out what the best combination of the umpteem hundred settings will be.... And then see if it gives me any more battery life- If yes- I'll pay for it- if not I'll wait for a clocker app that "officially" works on the 700p.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast